This article supports Gainsight NXT, the next evolution of the Customer Success platform. If you are using Gainsight CS Salesforce Edition, you can find supporting documentation by visiting the home page, and selecting CS > Salesforce Edition.
Not sure what your team is using? Click here.
This article explains how to use the Timeline feature from various areas in Gainsight. After reading this article, you can access Timeline, log activities in Timeline, tag users in an Activity, and share timeline activities.
You can access Timeline from three different areas within Gainsight. If you are unable to view Timeline from any of the following areas, contact your administrator.
Timeline offers a global view of all the activities for all Companies and Relationships in a centralized area. You can create new activities from the Timeline tab, and also edit an Activity, if you are the owner. The search and filter options allow you to narrow down the list of activities displayed.
The Timeline View on the Customer 360 page allows you to log and view activities that help you track customer interactions over the course of a customer’s life cycle.
CTA Detail View
The Timeline tab in the CTA Detail View allows you to log activities for a specific CTA. You can view these Activities on the Timeline section of the Customer 360 page.
Create/Log an Activity
This section explains how to create Activity, and also explains various features provided by Gainsight, while creating Activities. You can create an Activity from the global Timeline, CTA Detail view (Company CTA or Relationship CTA), or from the C360 or R360 page.
To create an Activity:
Perform one of the following tasks:
- Click the Timeline menu from the left pane, to create Activity from the global Timeline.
- Click the Cockpit menu from the left pane and open the detail view of a Company CTA or Relationship CTA. Click the TIMELINE tab.
- Enter the name of a Company or Relationship in the global search bar and select the required Company or Relationship from the list of suggested items. Click the TIMELINE tab.
- Hover your mouse to the + ACTIVITY button and select an Activity Type. The Activity Types created by administrator are displayed in the drop-down menu. The selected Activity Type’s window is displayed (here Meeting Activity Type is selected).
(Optional) Click the maximize icon to maximize the Activity window.
Perform the following tasks:
In the Note section, enter notes for the Activity.
- The Note section has an auto spell check feature which highlights words spelt incorrectly, with a red underline. Right click the highlighted word to view a list of suggested correct spellings.
- Gainsight provides you with all the text formatting options which you generally find in text editors.
- Gainsight allows you to use the above text formatting features with keyboard shortcuts. Refer to the Keyboard shortcuts section of the Activity Options document to view the various keyboard shortcuts available.
- Gainsight allows you to tag internal users in an Activity. Refer to the Tag internal users section of the Activity Options article to learn more.
- In the Tasks section, click Add Tasks to enter the tasks to be performed in this Activity.
- (Optional) Click your initials to assign the task to another user. By default, the logged in user is the owner of the task.
- (Optional) Click the calendar icon to set a due date for the task. By default, the current date is the due date for the task.
- (Optional) Click the delete icon to delete a task.
- When you create a task in the activity editor, a task in a CTA is associated simultaneously for that particular Account or Relationship.
- If you add a task from Cockpit > CTA > Timeline, a task is created under the selected CTA.
- If you add a task from C/R 360 Timeline, a new CTA will be created for the Account/Relationship.
- You can view this task in Cockpit with a prefix or "To-Do: <<Subject of the Activity>>".
- Cockpit supports a maximum of 80 characters as CTA Name, so the CTAs created from 360 > Timeline, with the <<Subject of the Activity>> more than 80 characters get trimmed on Cockpit list view page.
- If you have created multiple tasks in the Activity, multiple tasks are created under the CTA. The CTA will be created with the Subject of the Activity.
- Select either the Search by company or Search by relationship option from Related to field.
- Type the name of Company or Relationship to which you want to relate this activity to.
- It is mandatory to relate the Activity to a Company or a Relationship.
- You cannot relate an activity to a CTA.
- If the selected activity type is not enabled for a Company or a Relationship Type, the search results will not show the Company or Relationship information.
- The Related to field is not applicable if you are creating an Activity from Cockpit or C360/R360 page, since in those cases the activity would be related to the Company to which the CTA belongs to (for Cockpit) or the Company or Relationship whose 360 page is opened.
- In the Subject field, enter a subject for the Activity.
- (Optional) In the Activity Date field, modify the Activity Date and time. By default, this field displays the date and time at which the activity was created.
The following fields are displayed because they have been configured by the admin. If you cannot see the following fields, contact your admin.
- In the Duration field, enter the meeting duration (in minutes).
- In the Internal Attendees field, enter the internal attendees required for this meeting. By default, the logged in user’s name is already present.
- In the External Attendees field, enter the contact person at customer organization, required for this meeting.
Click LOG, to log the activity. If you do not click the LOG button, the activity is auto saved as draft. The content entered in New activity is auto saved frequently.
IMPORTANT: When you log a new activity, this new activity can also be accessed from the C360/R360 page or from the Cockpit under Activity type CTAs. Similarly, when you create CTAs either from the Cockpit page or from C360/R360 page, it can be accessed from the other two areas as well.
If you do not click the LOG button after creating a new activity or after modifing an existing activity, the activity is saved as a draft.
- You can view and search for the saved drafts using Search Drafts.
- Draft activities are private to the user who created them.
- The maximum number of drafts that can be logged by an user is 50.
- To delete multiple drafts, select the check box for the required drafts and click delete.
Add Comments to Timeline Activities
You can add comments to your own activities or other user’s activities to ask questions as well as provide answers and clarifications. Comments added to an activity become a record that any user can reference.
Note: The comments feature is not available within the mobile app.
The comment icon for each activity in the Activity list view displays the number of comments recorded for an activity. You can click this icon to view the comments in the activity detail view.
Users can comment on the activities they own or on the Activities owned by other users. The comment box is equipped with text formatting options, and users can tag other users in their comments. Users can tag a maximum of 10 users in a single comment. Comments can have a maximum of 4000 characters. By default, users will receive Gainsight and email notifications when someone comments on their timeline activity or tags them in a timeline activity comment. Users can configure if they receive these notifications on the My Settings page. For more information on configuring notification settings, refer to Setup User Notifications.
To add Comments, take the following steps:
- Navigate to the Activity Timeline page.
- Click the Comments icon of an Activity or expand the Activity and scroll down to the comments section. This displays the comments in the Activity detail view. By default, the Activity detail view displays the first three most recent comments.
- (Optional) To view all the comments, click View All Comments.
- Enter your Comment in the Comments section.
- (Optional) To tag a user in your comment, type @ followed by the first few letters of the first name of the intended user and select a name from the suggestions.
Note: If the required user name is not displayed, the user may not have been added through the user Management page.
Click CANCEL to stop adding the comment, or click SAVE to add it to the activity.
Edit and Delete Comments
Users can edit and delete only the comments they authored. To edit or delete comments, perform the following steps:
- Hover over the comment you wish to edit or delete. This displays the edit and delete icons.
- Click the edit icon to modify the text of the comment.
- Click CANCEL to undo any edits you’ve made, or click SAVE to preserve these edits.
- Click the delete icon to remove the comment. This displays a message confirming if you want to delete the comment.
- Click YES to complete the deletion. Click NO to cancel the deletion.