Cockpit [old version] documents will be archived soon...Documents related to the old Cockpit feature will be archived soon and will no longer be available as all the customers now have Cockpit Horizon Experience in their orgs. Learn about the improved version of Cockpit on Horizon Experience through documents which can be accessed from here.
Email Task and Send Email features help CSMs send emails directly to contacts from Cockpit. For example, a CSM might want to send an email directly from Cockpit when they need to reach out to a customer to determine a suitable time to conduct an EBR; or to gather more details about a negative response to an NPS® Survey.
This article explains how CSMs can send emails from Cockpit using the following methods:
- Email Task
- Send Email
Email Task: A new CTA Task Type called Email Task is available for inclusion in Playbooks. Admins can create Email Tasks in Playbooks and associate them with a Journey Orchestrator email template. Once the Playbook is applied to a CTA (via a Rule or manually in Cockpit), the Email Task will be visible to the CSM, and the email template can be customized and sent to contacts of their choosing. For information on how to configure email task, refer Configure Emails to Send From Cockpit.
Send Email: this feature allow the CSMs to send emails using any email template from Cockpit (within a CTA), without applying a playbook. To allows CSMs to send Ad-Hoc emails from Cockpit, admins must first configure an email template, and then CSMs can select the email template to associate with the email task. For information on how to configure email task, refer Configure Emails to Send From Cockpit.
Send Email Tasks
In the Cockpit List View, Cockpit Email Tasks display an email icon next to the Task title. When users click the Task name, the Task Details pane opens on the right with a Validate Email option at the bottom.
Only the owners of Email Assist Tasks can send emails.
To send or save an Email Task:
- Click the Email Task name to view the details in the respective Task Detail View.
- Click VALIDATE EMAIL. The Edit Email dialog box is displayed.
- Enter or select from the following options:
- To: You can add multiple recipients in this section. Search option is provided to search and add the recipients.
- The recipient Email address is auto-populated. For more information, refer to the succeeding section.
- When multiple recipients are added, the Email can be sent to all the recipients only after previewing the Email for each recipient.
- Send separate Emails to multiple contacts: Select this option to send separate emails to individual recipients specified in the ‘To’ section. If this option is not selected, a common Email is sent to all recipients. Separate Emails can be sent, only if the Email template contains the following:
- Person/User object tokens
- Report with Person object filters
Note: When the surveys/person object tokens/reports with person object filters are removed from the email draft, the Send separate Emails to multiple contacts checkbox will be available again only after the email draft is saved with those changes.
- Cc: Add contact to send a carbon copy of the Email.
- From and Reply-To addresses: By default, these addresses are the logged-in user’s Email address. You can modify the From address. Select from the drop-down list of options that are populated based on the configuration set in Administration > Calls to Action (CTA) > Account/Relationship > General Settings. For more information on configuration of From and Reply-To addresses, refer Configure Cockpit List View, General Settings, and Reporting Categories.
- Reply-To in Bcc: Select this option to add ‘Reply-To’ Email in Bcc.
- (Optional) Enter or modify the email template’s subject and body. You can edit/delete a token placeholder if necessary and proceed with sending. You can see the Reports and Surveys tokens are automatically mapped with the values, if the selected email template has a default mapping. For more information on how to configure Default Mapping, refer Configure Email Templates.
- (Optional) Add attachments, insert images and hyperlinks, and use the other formatting tools in the email designer. The maximum size of each file you can attach is 2 MB, and the cumulative size of your attachments and email template must not exceed 10 MB.
- If you are not ready to send the email, click SAVE AS DRAFT. Otherwise, click PREVIEW AND PROCEED to preview the email.
- In the Preview Email screen, click:
- GO BACK to edit the email further.
- SEND TEST EMAIL to send a test email to the currently logged in user.
- SEND EMAIL to send the email.
Note: When multiple contacts exist, this button is enabled while previewing the last contact's Email. It is disabled otherwise.
Use the NEXT and PREVIOUS icons to preview the next and previous contact's email respectively.
Note: After you Send the email, the status of Email Task is automatically updated to 'closed'.
Auto-populate Email Recipient
The recipient Email address is auto-populated. This is based on the source of CTA creation. Consider the following:
- If the CTA is created manually: The associated contact in the Email Task Detail View > Person field is populated. Refer to the following image:
- If a person is available at task level, this person is used instead of CTA person. If not, CTA person is populated.
- If multiple CTA or task level contacts are available, recently used person is populated. If Email address is not available for the latest person, no recipient address is populated.
- If the CTA is created from Rules Engine: The person selected in Associated Person field in the Setup Action > Create CTA page is populated. Refer to the following image:
View Email Open Stats
In the Task Detail View, you can view the Email statistics:
Click VIEW EMAIL to view the contents of the email.
If your Admin configures reports on the Email Logs object and displays them in dashboards or in a C360 section, you'll be able to view open/click/view stats for your email. However, Email Tasks are not available in the out-of-the-box Journey Orchestrator Analytics.
Limitations to Tracking Email Opens
- Tracking whether the email was opened by the recipient may not work if it has been purposefully blocked by the customer's email client security settings.
- For Email Assist tasks, Gainsight tracks open statistics by using a small invisible image attached to each email. When that image is loaded, it sends info back to the Gainsight logs to say that the email was opened. This tracking method is fairly standard among email providers.
- With Email Assist, sometimes the tracking image is blocked when the email is received. Unless the user clicks "Show all images" in the email, we cannot track whether or not the email was opened. This is a common limitation that all email service providers encounter.
- In Journey Orchestrator emails, the tracking link itself is embedded in the URL, so this is not an issue.
- On a related note, if the contact in 'To' forwards an email to 10 other contacts, then those 10 emails will be tracked against the contact's name. The open rate count will be added against the 'To' ID when the forwarded email is opened.
Managing Email Responses
If a recipient responds to your email, the response will go directly to your email inbox. There is currently no way to respond to them via the Email Task. If you wish to receive a copy of the email in your own inbox, enter your email address in the CC line.
Track Email Assist tasks in Timeline
Perform the following steps to track the Email Assist tasks in Timeline:
- Navigate to Administration > Calls to Action (CTA) > General Settings at the company or relationship level.
- Switch the Automatically track email assist emails in timeline toggle to ON.
The email communications for the account or relationship for which tracking has been enabled can be viewed in the Timeline in the C360 or the CTA detail view page.
Note: The Choose ‘From’ email address in email assist option enables the admins to select the Logged-in User or Email Assist Domain Configuration as the From address in Email Task.
Send Email (Ad-Hoc Emails) from Cockpit
Send Email feature allows the CSMs to send emails using any email template in a CTA, without applying a playbook. For example, a Sales Representative will call the customer to discuss the renewal and based on interaction, they must send out a follow-up email.
Sending emails from cockpit can be enabled or disabled based on the CSM’s requirements in the Email Configuration page.
To enable this functionality:
- Navigate to Administration > Email Configuration.
- Click the Compliance tab.
- Turn on the Allow sending emails directly from CTA's toggle button.
- Click Save.
The advantages of sending emails from Cockpit are:
- Email Task will be created within the CTA which allows for better tracking.
- CSMs can use Email Analytics.
- Email and its attachments are automatically logged to Timeline.
The following are the supported attachment file types; jpg, jpeg, gif, png, bmp, pdf, doc, docx, txt, ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx, and csv. The number of emails and the attachment size limits to be synced are based on the Timeline Activities limits. For more information, refer Log Customer Emails as Timeline Activities.
Note: If the size and number of attachments synced are higher than the permissible limits, the system automatically selects the random attachments as per the limit. An email notification is sent to the concerned user about the number of attachments skipped, but not the exact names of attachments.
After the admin configures an email template, CSMs can select the template and send it, while working on a CTA. For detailed instructions on how admins configure email templates, refer Create Email Templates.
- Multi-variant templates are not supported while sending emails from Cockpit using Send Email feature. Only English variant templates are supported. In case, if you want to send out an email in a different language using Send Email feature from Cockpit, you can follow the workaround explained in the below-mentioned use case.
- In the Email Templates page, for example, users must create a template in the Japanese language separately and then use that particular template while sending emails to Japanese customers using the Email Assist feature.
- In the case of Survey templates, users must create a survey also in the Japanese language. Then only users can access that survey in Japanese.
- Users cannot resolve tokens in email templates using lookup fields in the Person object. As a walk around, users can directly resolve the tokens using a Person object. For example, users can resolve tokens using Company Person > Person > First Name instead of Company Person > Person ID > First Name.
To send email from Cockpit:
- Navigate to Cockpit > List.
- Click CTA Name from which you want to send an email or associate an email task.
- Click three dots on the upper right corner of the CTA Detail View.
- Click Send Email.
- Search for the contact to whom the email has to be sent.
- Select the email template from the Template dropdown list.
Note: Admins can control over which email templates can be accessed by CSMs when they are using the Send Email option. For more information on how to restrict, refer to the Restrict Email Templates Available in Send Email Service section.
You can see the Reports and Surveys tokens are automatically mapped with the values if the selected email template has a default mapping. For more information on how to configure Default Mapping, refer Configure Email Templates.
The following image shows the Default Values displayed for Surveys and Reports when CSMs choose to send email via Send Email option.
- You can also edit/delete a token, if you wish to, before sending out an email.
- If a token in the email is unresolved, CSM has to manually delete the token before sending out the email. Otherwise, you will not be able to send out the email.
Limitation: When sending an email, the CC and BCC recipients will only receive one copy of the email which could be of any random recipient and not the copies for all the recipients, if:
There are multiple recipients in the TO list
One or more recipients in the CC/BCC list
The subject of an email is the same
The body does not contain any Reports
As a walk around, use tokens in the subject of the email to differentiate the recipients to receive a copy for every TO recipient.
- Click PREVIEW AND PROCEED. The Preview Email window appears.
Based on the contacts chosen, the tokens are replaced with the correct values.
Note: Once you send out an email, an email task is created in a CLOSED state, for tracking purposes. If the email is left in draft mode, the email task is created in an OPEN state.
Restrict Email Templates Available in Send Email Service
Admins can control over which email templates can be accessed by CSMs when they are using the Send Email option. To restrict Email Templates, Admins can use the Available to Users toggle option in the Email template page. When ‘Available to Users’ toggle is ON, then that email template is available for users to select while using the Send Email option from Cockpit.
By default, all templates are displayed to users while using the Send Email option. The admin has to manually revoke access in order to restrict the relevant templates to CSMs.
Admins can also use bulk actions on the Email Templates page to allow or restrict access to selected email templates for users. Once the admin selects more than one template, the following options appear:
- Available to Users: If this option is selected, the selected templates are available while using the Send Email option.
- Not Available to Users: If this option is selected, the selected templates are not available while using the Send Email option.
- When copying/pasting into an email, highlight the font & re-size to ensure best results.
- CC yourself to get a copy of the email in your personal email (you can also ask your Admin to add an email address to Administration > Communication > Email Configuration > Compliance to receive BCC's of all Cockpit emails).
- Type an email signature if you’re interacting with someone that you don’t very often (custom signatures are not possible currently).
- Only Task owners can send email tasks, but you can easily re-assign task owners as needed.
|NPS, Net Promoter, and Net Promoter Score are registered trademarks of Satmetrix Systems, Inc., Bain & Company and Fred Reichheld.