This article explains how admin can build and manage the advanced program in Journey Orchestrator.
The Redesigned Advanced Program Open BETA version of Journey Orchestrator enables you to create advanced programs more efficiently. It offers a simplified process and adds flexibility with the following benefits:
- Increased Flexibility: The updated drag-and-drop program editor provides you with the ultimate flexibility to easily add or remove steps within the program.
- Simplified Start: The enhanced source configuration provides easy creation of advanced programs. There's no need for participant mapping, allowing you to get started quickly and effortlessly.
- Efficient Action Outcomes: The new inline action outcomes provide a more efficient and intuitive way to direct participants based on their interactions with program actions.
- Seamless Survey Integration: Enables you to create survey steps alongside emails effortlessly. You can even incorporate multiple surveys within a single program.
- Easy Evaluate Step: Enables you to easily manage complex logic and move participants to different branches based on conditions.
- New User Interface: The new user interface guarantees straightforward navigation and product usage.
- Both the old and new JO advanced program experiences work in Open Beta and will not impact any existing programs created using the old experience.
- The migration of programs created using the old experience to the new experience or vice versa is not supported.
- Since this is an Open Beta version, you may experience some delays in higher-volume programs.
Advanced Program New Experience
To navigate to a new experience of an advanced program:
- Navigate to Programs. The Programs tab appears.
- Click Add Program. The Select Program Type window appears.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Click the New Version BETA option. The redesigned advanced programs screen appears.
- Click Next. The Program Details window appears.
- In the Name field, enter the name of the program.
- In the Entity field, select if the Program is configured for Company, Relationship, or User.
- If a Relationship is selected in the Entity field, select the Relationship Type from the dropdown.
- (Optional) Enter a brief description of the program.
- (Optional) Select the folder in which you want to categorise the program.
- Click Create. The new editor for the advanced program appears.
New Advanced Program Editor
The new advanced program editor contains drag and drop capabilities enabling you to add the Actions or Conditions from the Elements section into the Editor section for building a program. You can also add the elements anywhere on the editor and connect the nodes of the elements by dragging one node onto another.
The first step of any advanced program is the Audience which is already present in the editor. You can add a source from the Audience step. For more information on how to add a source, refer to the Configure Step section.
Zoom, Undo/Redo and Rearrange
- Minus (-): Click the Minus icon to zoom out on the elements in the editor.
- Fit Screen: Click the Fit Screen icon to make elements appear in normal size.
- Plus (+): Click the Plus icon to zoom in on the elements in the editor.
- Undo: Click the Undo icon to revert the last modification made on the editor.
- Redo: Click the Redo icon to restore the last modification made on the editor.
- Rearrange: Click the Rearrange icon, to align all the steps vertically one after another on the editor.
Remove an Element
To remove an element:
- Hover over the element you want to remove. The Close icon appears.
- Click the Close icon. The element is removed but any nodes connected to that element are retained.
Previously, the conditional wait consisted of two sections - one for checking the outcomes of the previous step and another for checking a logical condition to branch participants with a common wait time.
With the new experience, the conditional wait is split into the following sections:
The Action Outcome enables you to branch participants based on their interactions with the actions. The following are the types of action outcomes:
To access the outcomes, click Show Outcomes on the editor. The branches and the wait period appear.
10 Days is selected by default as a wait period. Click Wait for 10 Days for the email to be opened to edit the wait period. It can be configured for Minutes, Hours or Days.
If the email contains a link with link tracking enabled, it has two possible outcomes: Link Clicked or Link Not Clicked. The system checks whether the email links were clicked or not clicked.
Note: Click the Link Clicked branch to configure the links.
All other emails have two possible outcomes: Opened or Not Opened. The system will check whether the email was opened or not opened.
All the Surveys have two possible outcomes: Responded or Not Responded. The system will check whether the survey was responded to or not responded.
All the CTA have two possible outcomes: Closed or Not Closed. The system checks whether the CTA is closed or not closed.
All the APIs have two possible outcomes: Success or Failed. The system will check whether the API connection was established successfully or not.
In-App Engagement Outcomes
All the In-app engagements have two possible outcomes: Completed or Not Completed. The system will check whether the end user completed the configured in-app engagement or not.
The Evaluate helps to create complex conditions and move your audience into multiple branches.
Example Business Usecase: Consider a scenario where you need to tailor your customer engagement strategies based on their Survey or NPS responses. With Evaluate, you can create branches for Promoters, Passive responders, and Detractors according to their NPS feedback. This allows you to construct the journey: for Promoters, you can set up a Thank You email; for Passive responders, you can implement an automated follow-up message; and for Detractors, you can add a manual intervention, like a Call to Action (CTA) for the Customer Success Manager (CSM) to engage directly, addressing their concerns and improving their experience.
Defining Multiple Branches
To add multiple branches with defined conditions:
- Drag and drop the Evaluate condition from the Elements section to the editor.
- Click the Evaluate element on the editor to configure. The Evaluate slide-out panel appears.
- Select the option to evaluate from One Time or Multiple Times.
- For the Recurrently option, enter the number of days for evaluating configured branches repeatedly every 11 hours.
- Click Add Condition.
- Select the conditional fields from the following available options:
- Audience Field
- Calculated Field
- Previous steps (only supported for Email link not clicked, CTA Closed, and Survey not responded if they are present in the path where Evaluate step is connected)
- Survey Questions (available when a survey is added to the program)
- Event Field
- Define the conditions for each branch.
- If none of the conditions is met, the audience is moved to the Remaining branch.
- Click Save.
The step configuration is revamped making it easy to set up a program. Set up the following configuration for your program:
Audience step allows you to add participants to the program. Add the audience to your program through the following three sources:
- Data Designer
Each program can have only one source. For segment or data designer sources, you can select just one segment or data designer. However, for a CSV source, you have the ability to upload up to 5 CSV files within a single program.
IMPORTANT: The Events source will also be available from the October 2023 release.
To select a data source,
- Click the Audience step on the Programs Editor page. The Audience slide-out pane appears.
- From the Data Designer or Segments drop-down list, select existing Data Designer or Segments sources respectively.
Note: You can click Create Segment or Create Data Designer to navigate to the respective Segment or Data Designer creation page.
- Click Done. The mandatory fields are identified and the uniqueness criteria are auto-selected. All fields from the source are available for tokens and conditions selection, without the need for field mapping.
- Wait for the selected source to load and the audience to be synced.
- You can view the Source Fields that can be used to modify the data types when a CSV is added.
- Initially, only 20 participants are synced, click Sync All to synchronize all participants.
- Click Update to modify the program settings. The Mandatory Fields, Uniqueness Criteria Fields, Audience Re-entry Criteria, Advanced Criteria, and Audience Exclusion list configurations can be updated.
Email or Survey action allows you to configure Email or Survey in the selected template. Just like emails, now you can add surveys to your program. Multiple emails and surveys can be added to the program.
Note: Currently, surveys can only be distributed through email. However, with future releases, in-app distribution using Gainsight PX will also be available.
To configure an Email or a Survey action:
- Drag and drop the Email or Survey actions from the Elements section to the Programs Editor page.
- Click the required Email or Survey element on the editor to configure. The configuration page appears.
- Select the template.
- (For Survey action) In the email body, click the survey from the added link or button.
- The unmapped tokens are displayed in yellow color. Click the token to map. The Source Fields list and Calculated Fields list appear.
- Select the field to map with the token.
- (Optional) Click Preview to preview the email.
- (Optional) Click Send Test Email to send a test email to ensure that the template appears correctly in the recipients’ email.
- Click Save. The email or survey action configuration is saved.
CTA action allows you to create or close the CTA in the program. To add CTA action in the program:
- Drag and drop the CTA action from the Elements section to the Programs Editor page.
- Use one of the following options to create a new CTA or close an existing one in the program.
- Click the Create CTA option to create a new CTA for the company person (or)
- Click the Close CTA option to close the created CTA in the program.
Note: The CTA option selection step is irreversible. To change the option you need to create a new CTA action.
The Call API Action type enables admins to establish a connection between Gainsight and external systems through a request action from the external system using an API.
Example Business Use cases:
- Admins can send NPS® surveys and relay responses to collaboration platforms like Slack.
- Admins can send CSAT surveys and forward responses to external ticketing systems such as Zendesk.
- Admins can alert external systems when the Customer Health Score drops by a specified percentage, including actions like creating a CTA.
The following are the prerequisites to use the API action type:
- The connection between Gainsight and external systems must be created.
- The API Action type for the connection must be configured.
For more information on how to configure the connection and action, refer to the Configure Custom Connectors and Configure External Actions sections in the Configure External Action from Gainsight article, respectively.
To configure the API action:
- Drag and drop the API action from the Elements section to the Programs Editor page.
- Click the required API element on the editor to configure. The API configuration slide-out panel appears.
- From the Connectors dropdown, select the API connector.
- From the External Action dropdown, select the API Action.
- (Optional) In the Description field, add an API description.
- (Optional) Click the Create Connection or Create Action options to create a new connection or action, respectively.
- In the Field Mapping section, select the respective Source Fields to map with the Action Fields.
- Click Save. The API action configuration is saved.
Gainsight integrates Journey Orchestrator (JO) with Gainsight PX. You can trigger PX in-app engagements from Programs, and take action based on the engagement events in Programs. You can further analyze and measure the Program and Engagement effectiveness. This integration helps customers achieve a unified customer engagement strategy by leveraging the best of both JO and PX applications.
- The PX Engagements cannot be configured for programs with a User entity.
- By default, this feature is enabled for all the customers who have CS and PX subscriptions.
Example Business Use Cases
- While on-boarding a new customer, admins can send a welcome email with a walkthrough of the CS application using PX engagement.
- After a new release, admins can trigger a PX engagement from the Program, that consists of a release video to all users.
- The CS admin can send an in-app NPS® survey. If there is no response, a follow-up email reminder can be sent.
- The support team can send an in-app CSAT survey after the support ticket is closed.
The following are the prerequisites to in-app engagement action:
- Customers must have subscriptions for both the Gainsight Journey Orchestrator module in the CS application and also the Gainsight PX application.
- Configure the PX Connector in the Gainsight CS application. For more information, refer to the Gainsight PX Connector article.
- Enable the PX Real-time Sync option in Surveys to trigger Survey PX engagements in Programs. For more information, refer to the Gainsight PX Integration with Survey 2.0 article.
To configure the in-app engagement action:
- Drag and drop the In-app Engagement action from the Elements section to the Programs Editor page.
- Click the required In-app Engagement element on the editor to configure. The PX In-app Engagement configuration slide-out panel appears.
- From the Connections dropdown, select the connection.
Note: The programs can only have one PX connection. If a different connection is selected, it also updates the connection details of all the previous engagements created.
- From the PX Engagement dropdown, select the engagement.
- Click Save. The API action configuration is saved.
Publish the Program
- To publish a program, ensure that all the warnings in the program step configurations are resolved.
- Once resolved, the publish button will be enabled. You can publish the program immediately or schedule it for a future date.
- Additionally, you can choose to execute the program repeatedly by selecting the Multiple Times option. The calendar view allows you to check if any existing programs are running or scheduled.
The Analytics tab appears at the top panel once the program is published. It enables you to monitor the participants' actions with your program and allows you to view the corresponding participants' list by clicking on the available metrics.
The Snapshot toggle switch appears on the Model tab after the program is published. Turn ON the Snapshot toggle switch to view the progress of the program audience at each step. The number of participants will be shown at each step and you can click to see the list of participants.