Gainsight NXTGainsight helps innovative companies protect and nurture their most valuable asset - their customers - with the power of our award-winning platform. With our Customer Success Solution, you can gain deeper insights into customer behavior, operationalize the customer lifecycle, and coordinate actions and results across teams.
This article supports Gainsight NXT, the next evolution of the Customer Success platform. New and upgraded customers are deployed on Gainsight NXT.
If you have not upgraded and are using Gainsight Salesforce Edition, you can find supporting documentation here.
Not sure what your team is using? Click here.
User Management is an administration feature which allows a Super Admin to add users to the Gainsight User object from Administration > Operations > User Management > USERS LIST.
This article describes the different methods available for super admins to ingest user data into the Gainsight User Object. Gainsight User is a standard object which stores all of the users information in Gainsight’s Matrix Data Architecture (MDA). For more information about the Gainsight User Object, refer Gainsight User Object.
You can ingest data by two methods:
Note: All the Users added to the Gainsight User object may or may not have Gainsight license.
Manual Ingestion of User Information
To enter user records into the Gainsight User object:
- Navigate to Administration > Operations > User Management > USERS LIST.
- Click + USER in the upper right corner as shown in the following image and select MANUAL. Add User (MANUAL) screen appears.
- Enter the following information:
- First Name: (Mandatory)
- Last Name: (Mandatory)
- Email: (Mandatory)
- Username: (Mandatory) Make sure that the username of each user record is unique.
- Is Super Admin: Select either True or False. It indicates whether a user is identified as Super Admin (value as True) who has access to everything in Gainsight. A user who is not a Super Admin (value as False) has limited access.
- Timezone: Select a timezone from the dropdown list to assign a timezone to a user.
- Send welcome to the user: Select the check box to send a welcome email to the user. Click this check box if you want to grant Gainsight access to a specific user. A welcome email received by any user has a link to access Gainsight and to reset password (if a user is not enabled with any SSO). For more information on the different login methods from the welcome email, refer User Login Methods to Gainsight NXT.
- External Id: (Optional)
- Permission List: Select the required permission bundles from the multi-select dropdown list. Once the permission bundles are selected, you can see the list of bundles assigned to the user, in a table. For more information about permission Bundles, refer Permission Groups.
- Click SAVE. A new user record is added to the USERS LIST as shown in the image below:
- You can perform the following actions on the Users List page:
- Click Edit (pen) to update the user information.
- Click View to view the user information.
- Click Notify User to send an automatic email to the user to reset the password.
- Click Enable/Disable Status to change the status of a user to Active/Inactive.
Only Active users are granted access to login to Gainsight NXT. Active users can be selected in other functionalities (Sally and C360 Sharing) to view or access data in Gainsight. Following are the user status appear in the first column
- Green: Active
- Grey: Inactive
- Red: The status appears for all the failed user records. For instance, when you have ingested a user record into the user object, the record is ingested but the login provision is failed. All these records appear at the top of the listing screen. To resolve, this, make the status as inactive and activate it again.
- Advanced Filters: To apply the advanced filters:
- Click the Advanced filters button. You can select any field in the User object and an operator for the respective fields.
- Click +ADD FILTER to add multiple filters and click APPLY. You can add operators like AND and OR between the filters while applying the advanced filters. Applying filters will fetch the users list as per the requirement.
- When you click the Refresh button, the applied filters are removed and all records are shown in the User Management page.
- Search Box: You can enter the value of a Name or Email in the search box. When you try to search for users using the Search box, the search is applied on all of the records instead of just the filtered records. You can apply filters on the fetched user list using the Search box.
Ingestion of User Information through a CSV File
To enter user records into the Gainsight User object:
- Navigate to Administration > Operations > User Management > USERS LIST.
- Click + USER and select CSV. Add User (CSV) screen appears.
Upload CSV Section
To Configure the CSV section:
- In the Upload CSV section, click BROWSE to select a source CSV file from the local machine and to upload. Select User Information.csv file to upload. Make sure that the CSV file has headers and is no more than 2 MB. The same CSV file headers are used for field mapping with User object fields in the Field Mapping Section.
Note: Ensure that the CSV file name do not have any spaces.
- Click Download a sample CSV to view the required fields to see the sample csv which has the required headers. Following are some of the important headers in the csv file as shown below. This IsActiveUser field is optional. If you do not have this header in your csv file, the user is marked active, by default. However, if you mark the IsActiveUser field as FALSE in your csv file, the user is marked as inactive.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email: Make sure that the email address of each user record is unique.
- IsActiveUser: Give a value True/False. By default, True value is selected, if you do not specify any value for this field in your csv file.
The Username, First Name, Last Name, and Email csv headers are mandatory for the field mappings explained in the next section. If you do not provide any of the mentioned headers, you will not be able to proceed from the field mappings section.
- CSV Properties: Select appropriate CSV Properties. Recommended CSV properties:
- Character Encoding: UTF-8
- Quote Char: “ (Double Quote)
- Separator: , (Comma)
- Header Line: 1 (Mandatory)
- Escape Char: Backslash
- Multi select separator: Semicolon
- User Management page always supports the files which are encoded with UTF-8 only.
- User should use the same separator for field values in the job configuration which is used in the CSV file to upload. By default, (comma) is selected as the separator for field values but users can change it as required.
- Quote Character is used to import a value (along with special characters) specified in the Quotation while importing data. It is recommended to use the same Quote Character in the job configuration which is used in the CSV file to upload. By default, Double Quote is selected in the job configuration but users can change to Single Quote as required.
- Escape character is used to include special character in the value. By default, Backslash is used as Escape Character before special character in the value. It is recommended to use Backslash in CSV file to avoid any discrepancy in the data after loading.
- Multi select separator is a separator for multiple items in a multi select dropdown list field. Users should use the same separator in the job configuration which is used in the CSV file to upload. By default ; (Semicolon) is selected as the separator for the multi select dropdown list items but users can change it as required.
- You cannot ingest values into the Timezone and Is Super Admin fields through a CSV file.
Click SHOW MAPPING. Field Mapping section appears.
Field Mapping Section
To configure the field mapping section:
- In the Field Mappings section, mapping the fields, Username, First Name, Last Name, Email from the csv headers to the User object fields is mandatory.
- In the Mapping section, map csv headers with Target Fields appropriately.
- Select the Send welcome email to all Active users check box to send email to all the active users.
Note: You can either send a welcome email to all the active users in the csv file or to none of them. All active users are flagged as True in the IsActiveUser header in the csv file.
Use Case: For instance, if you want to send welcome email to few active users in the csv records, it is not possible to deselect the remaining users, you can either select all or none. To send welcome email to few active users in the csv records, you can do either of the following:
You can add those few users manually.
You can even continue ingesting the user records via CSV method and do not select the Send welcome email to all Active users check box. Once the user data is uploaded, click Notify User from the USERS LIST page to send welcome email only to those specific users.
- In the Derived Mapping tab, click +FIELD MAPPINGS. Data import lookup configuration dialog appears. This is to lookup to the same or another standard object and match fields to fetch Gainsight ID (GSID) from the looked up object and populate it in the target field. Derived mappings can be performed only for target fields of GSID data type. There are two types of lookups: Direct and Self. Direct lookup enables admins to lookup to another Gainsight standard object and fetch GSID of a record from the lookup object. Self lookup enables admins to lookup to the same object and fetch GSID of the another record to the target field. For more information, refer Data Import Lookup.
There are two standard fields in the User object, Company ID and Manager into which you can ingest values using Direct and Self import lookups respectively.
Derived Mapping is mandatory to ingest values into the Company ID (GSID) field from the Gainsight standard object Company using Direct import lookup. This is to lookup to the Gainsight standard object Company and match fields between CSV headers and the Company object to fetch Gainsight ID (GSID) of a Company record into Company ID field in the User object. Enter information in the Data import lookup configuration dialog as shown below:
- Lookup type: Select Direct
- Lookup in (object): Select object Company
- Select Target field: Select Company ID.
- Match by: Company Name in the csv file with Name in Company object.
- Populate: GSID (Selected automatically)
- Select the appropriate options in When multiple match and When no match found.
Similarly, you can ingest values into the Manager field using Self import lookup. In the self lookup configuration:
- Lookup Type: Self
- Target Field: Manager
- Lookup Object: User (Selected automatically)
- Match by: Match the fields as required. In the following example, Manager Name is matched with Name and retrieve user GSID into the Manager field.
- Populate: GSID (selected automatically)
- Options in the When multiple match and When no match found fields are selected automatically.
For the detailed instructions on the derived mappings, refer Data Import Lookup.
Click REVIEW. Review section appears.
In the REVIEW section, you can now see the list of all new users in the New users section. To configure the review section:
- Select a user to whom you wish to assign a permission bundle.
Note: You can also select all user records and assign a common permission bundle.
- Select the required permission bundles from the multi-select dropdown list. You can now see the list of assigned bundles in the Permission Group column. For more information about permission Bundles, refer Permission Groups.
- Click ADD ALL NEW USERS to ingest all new user records.
If the username of a user in the csv file matches with the existing record in the User object, this record from the csv file is shown in the Existing users section and cannot be ingested into the User object.
- Click Matching User to see the existing records in the User object.
- All user records in the csv file are resolved with records in the User object using usernames and are categorized as new users and existing users.
- If the username of the two users in the CSV file are same, any one of them is ingested.
- Select the check boxes next to the name of the users and click ADD SELECTED NEW USERS to ingest the selected new user records.
If there are many user records to ingest, Select all users in this page checkbox and deselect the records which are not required to be ingested.
Note: The user status of some records in the USERS LIST page may appear Yellow during ingestion is in progress. This happens if you ingest too many records from CSV. It is recommended to wait for sometime and refresh the page for the status to turn Green.