Resource to complete Step 4: Email Administrator
Whitelabeling your Domain
Reasons to Whitelabel
- Remove the "Sent via Gainsightapp.com" tag.
- Increase the deliverability of the emails to Inbox instead of the Spam folder.
- If you have DMARC setting on, you will have to Whitelabel to send emails using Gainsight Email Infrastructure.
- If you have "-all" option at the end of your SPF setting, Whitelabeling is mandatory for using Gainsight email infrastructure.
What is Whitelabeling?
Whitelabeling is a functionality that shows ISPs for which SendGrid (Gainsight's ESP) has your permission to send emails on your behalf. This permission is given by the act of pointing very specific DNS entries from your domain registrar to SendGrid. Once these DNS entries are entered and propagated, recipient email servers and services will read the headers on the emails you send and check the DNS records to verify if the email is initiated from a trusted source. This drastically increases your ability to deliver email and allows you to begin building a sender reputation for your domain and for your IP addresses.
Types of Whitelabeling
- Domain Whitelabel: This type of whitelabel allows recipient email servers and services to verify the identity of the email sender back to the domain that the sender controls. This provides a layer of email authentication that helps in email deliverability. With only the domain whitelabel, you are still subject to the reputation of your IP address.
- Email Links Whitelabel: When you put a link or an image into an email and have the click or the open tracking turned on, then the click tracking links and the images will point to your domain. This tells the recipient email server that you are not trying to hide anything behind the links, and that you control the content of your emails. A few bad actors will use 3rd party link shortening services to populate the domains they list in their email content, and they do not include their own domain in those links. This practice is a red flag to spam filters..
Steps for Whitelabeling
Once you have installed Gainsight and enabled your MDA, your Project Manager will send you a set of DNS Entries similar to:
Enter these settings in your DNS with the help of your IT team and communicate back to your Project Manager for verification.
Reputation Score Calculation
Reputation score calculation is automated based on the # of spam reports and # of bounces vs. the total # of emails sent. Gainsight email service is configured to maintain this at an optimum level by:
- Bounces are added to the master blacklist maintained by Gainsight and we ensure future emails to that address are not attempted.
- Spam reports are added to the unsubscribed list automatically.
The usual behavior observed with most Gainsight customers is that they start with a low score since their contact list is often initially dirty, but within a few outreaches, it improves. The problem is minimal for Gainsight because the recipients are customers and not prospects. The average reputation of Gainsight customers is 98/100. When there is a problem of low reputation, we get in touch with you via our CSM.