This article is the first item in a series of Adoption Explorer configuration articles. Before you get started with the Adoption Explorer project building process, Gainsight recommends you to refer to the Adoption Explorer Overview article.
This article introduces you to the key terms in Adoption Explorer and gives an overview on how you can use your customer’s usage data and configure projects in Adoption Explorer. Once admins create a project and add it to the C360 page, CSMs can analyze the data, get some useful insights and make business decisions accordingly.
Adoption Explorer Project Configuration includes:
- Project Settings
- Configure Source Connections (Objects)
- Configure Derived Fields
- Configure Layouts
- Integration with C360
- Project: A project in Adoption Explorer holds logically related Usage data of a product or set of products. Each project in Adoption Explorer holds data at Company and Person level. The data at Company and Person level is again divided into 3 categories of objects: Usage Info, Time Series and Entitlement.
- Company Usage Info: stores all the information related to your customers ex: Company Name, Secondary Company Name (Instance Name), External Ids of Company and Instance, Customer Type, Renewal Date, Account Status, Total number of Licenses, Number of Licenses used, etc.
- Company Time Series (Daily and Weekly): Company Time Series stores all the information related to your customers usage data ex: total number of page views in a product, the total number of clicks, etc. Company Time Series in Adoption Explorer loads the usage data at Daily and Weekly intervals.
- Person Usage Info: stores the information related to the Persons (users) ex: Person (user) Name, Person Email, External Ids of the Company and Instance.
- Person Time Series (Daily and Weekly): Person Time Series stores all the information related to the Persons (users) Usage Data ex: total number of page views by a person, the total number of clicks by a person. Person Time Series in Adoption Explorer loads the usage data at Daily and Weekly intervals.
- Company Entitlement: Company Entitlement object preserves the standard values defined on a particular field at Company level (Daily and/or weekly). You can use this object to capture entitlements at Company level such as 'a company is entitled to 100 user licenses”.
- Person Entitlement: Person Entitlement object preserves the standard values defined on a particular field at Person level (Daily and/or weekly). You can use this object to capture entitlements at Person level such as 'a user is entitled to storage of 10 GBs for lifetime'.
- External ID: An external ID is a standard field in the Company object, which stores the external unique identifiers of companies.
Project List View
A project is an isolated environment for a given tenant. You can create a single or multiple projects in a tenant, but you cannot share any data between the two projects, as there are no lookups enabled between the projects.
To see the existing projects, navigate to Administration > Adoption Explorer > Admin. You will be landed on the Project listing page, where you see all the existing projects (Active and Inactive).
You can perform the following operations from the project listing page:
- Create a New Project
- Navigate to Project Settings (By clicking on the specific Project)
- View Instance level data status
- Activate or Deactivate a project
- Navigate to Objects
- Navigate to Layouts
- Navigate to Logs
- Enable or Disable the Zendesk
- Delete a project
- Schedule a Project by clicking Run Now
You can switch ON the Show My Project Only toggle button to see the projects you own.
Note: You cannot make any changes to the projects in Active state (Although you can add new fields but can’t add new data sources), as there are schedules running behind. If you want to make any changes to the project, deactivate the project, make the necessary changes and then mark it as Active again.
For detailed instructions on how to create a new project and configure settings, refer to the Projects and Project Settings article.
Once you configure project settings, usage data in a project is ingested into the Adoption Explorer objects, and these objects can be used to analyze the data in the Layouts section. Objects created from an Adoption Explorer project are prefixed with the project name and can be seen in the Data Management page, and these objects can also be used in other functionalities of Gainsight ex: Reporting and Rules Engine.
Usage data in Adoption Explorer project are stored in Usage Info, Time Series and Entitlements objects.
Usage Info Object
Company and Person Usage Info objects are the master objects in which the basic information related to Companies and Persons is ingested. Ex: Company Name, Company Location, Person Name, Person Contact, etc. These objects can also be used to store the current snapshot of the entities such as Page Views in the Last 45 days.
Time Series Object
Company and Person Time Series objects are used to ingest measures and dimension data that are getting tracked daily or weekly. Ex: total number of page views in a product, the total number of page views by a person, etc. Time Series category consists of the following objects:
- Company Time Series Daily
- Company Time Series Weekly
- Person Time Series Daily
- Person Time Series Weekly
Entitlement objects preserve the standard values defined on a particular field at Company level and Person level (Daily and/or weekly). You can use these objects to capture entitlements at Company level such as 'a company is entitled to 100 user licenses”, and at Person level, 'a user is entitled to storage of 10 GBs for lifetime'. Entitlement category consists of the following objects:
- Company Entitlement
- Person Entitlement
Object Listing Screen
Once you create a project and configure the project settings, you will be automatically navigated to the OBJECTS screen. On the Objects screen, you will see the list of objects as shown below. You can always go-back to the Project listing screen by clicking the Project Name dropdown list, if required.
You can add/edit/delete a data source only if the project is in “Inactive” status, whereas you can add a new field in both Active and Inactive status. In Active state, admins can only preview the data source.
Currently, Adoption Explorer supports the following ingestion channels, to ingest usage data in to the Usage Info and Time Series objects:
- Google Analytics
- Amazon S3
For detailed instructions on how usage data can be ingested into the Adoption Explorer objects, from external sources, refer to the Configure Adoption Explorer Objects article.
Fields are the part of the object which are associated with a particular source. Once the usage data is ingested into Usage Info, Time Series objects and Entitlement objects, clicking the Fields button will navigate you to the Fields tab where you can see the list of fields added, while configuring a source connection.
You can also create custom measures and dimensions using the ingested measures and dimensions, from Fields tab. For detailed instructions on how to configure derived fields, refer to the Configure Derived Fields article.
Using Layouts, an Admin/CSM can get a snapshot of customer usage data and insights like: Company's Total Page Views by Page Title, Who are the Top 10 users of this week, What are the Top 10 Pages viewed, Company's ARR contribution, Which segment does the customer belong to, A side by side graph of a measure from one period to another, etc. All these individual insights are called Usage Sections and a logical grouping of such sections is called a Layout.
Currently, Adoption Explorer has five types of layouts:
- Company Layout: Where a CSM can filter the data based on Company and its Instance (optional) in the given time frame (Using Start and End date).
- Person Layout: Where a CSM can filter the data based on the Person from the selected Company and Instance (optional) with given time frame (Using Start and End date).
- Freeform Layout: This layout displays the records across all of the companies data loaded to the specific project. For instance, you have a Segmented ARR field in Company Usage Info object, and now you may want to know the list of Companies that fall under Lowband, and take necessary business actions.
- CSM Layout: You can filter the data based on selected CSM. The CSM Users are fetched from the Gainsight User Object. The Users you see in the CSM Users dropdown list are fetched from the Gainsight User Object.
- Segment Layout: You can set the filter criteria based on existing Segmented fields in the Company and Person Usage Info objects. For instance, if you want to see the ‘Sum of Unique Page Views’ of Companies with High ARR, you can set the Segmented ARR filter criteria as High.
For detailed instructions on how to create layouts, refer to the Configure Layouts article.
Usage Sections are the main artifacts of a Layout, which displays the usage data for a given configuration. For example, you can add a usage section for: A Company’s Total Page Views by Page Title, A Person’s Page Views by Page Title, A Company’s ARR Contribution, A Company’s Segmented ARR, etc.
For detailed instructions on how to add usage sections to a layout, refer to the Create Usage Sections in a Layout article.
Logs in Adoption Explorer allows you to run/execute a job manually to the source level and derived measure level and you can also do a “Test Run”, through which you will be able to check if all the settings, source connections, etc. are working correctly. Test Run will not load any data to the objects.
Notes: To Run/Schedule a project in Adoption Explorer, make sure that your project is Active.
You can navigate to the Logs section in a project via: Administration > Adoption Explorer > Admin.
For detailed instructions on how to run a job manually, refer to the Logs article.
Integration with C360
Once you create a project in Adoption Explorer, the layouts in the Adoption Explorer project can be added to the Usage section in C360 Layouts, from Administration > General > Company > C360 Layouts.
For detailed instructions on how to integrate an Adoption Explorer project with C360 Layouts, refer to the Configure Adoption Explorer Section in C360 article.
Once a layout from Adoption Explorer project is added to the Usage section in C360 Layouts, CSMs can now view the usage data in C360 page. Usage section in C360 helps CSMs view the usage data associated with a company, in a Layout as defined in Adoption Explorer project.
Usage data stored on a daily basis is preserved for 180 days and the data stored on a weekly basis is available for a period of 3 years. After 3 years, the usage data will not be deleted but archived. You can reach out to Gainsight for any requirement on the historical data.