This article gives an overview on what is Adoption Explorer and how you can manage your customer's usage data in Gainsight environment.
Adoption Explorer helps manage your customer’s usage data in Gainsight. Customer’s usage data at Company and/or Person level can be stored at both daily and weekly level along with their entitlements. Using the ingested data, admins can define new derived fields without the need of Rules Engine.
Adoption Explorer allows admins to build projects on Company and/or Person Information, Time-series and Entitlement objects, in which Company, Company + Instance, Person and Entitlements related information and metrics are stored. Once the usage data is ingested into Adoption Explorer objects, admins can calculate new metrics, summarize, and enable these projects for the end users to view on C360 usage sections.
Watch this 11-minute video to learn how to configure a project and enable it on the C360 page.
Adoption Explorer helps in providing a framework to facilitate data quality initiatives and in turn, higher quality secured information which helps you in making better, faster decisions. Following are some of the key benefits:
- Reduces the configuration of the data
- Enhances the capability of managing the usage of the data
- Improves data security
- Helps in bringing new features (from data perspective)
- Isolates customer based on patterns
- Segments large or small customers and compares
- Provides effective data integration
- Minimizes data inconsistency
- Helps in accessing data in a better way
- Increases in-productivity of the end users
How Usage Data Helps Companies Improve Operations
Adoption Explorer helps customers understand how their end users consume, access and use their products and services. Usage data stored in Gainsight’s Adoption Explorer can be analyzed and is helpful to gain useful insights to drive adoption, increase revenue, design a better product, provide amazing customer service, or retain existing customers.
Here are some examples of Usage Data metrics that help CSMs know how their products and services are consumed: Top 10 Pages - Last 30 Days, Top User Activity - Last 90 Days, Weekly Page Views by User (last 90 days), Top 10 Users - Last 30 Days (by unique logins) and Bottom 10 Users - Last 30 Days (by unique logins), etc.
Adoption Explorer can help companies improve their operations and make faster and more intelligent decisions. Adoption Explorer allows admins to build projects on Company and Person usage data objects, and these objects can be consumed in the other functionalities of Gainsight like: C360, Reporting, Rules Engine, Cockpit, Journey Orchestrator and Scorecards, etc. This helps customers perform data aggregations, generate Scorecards, Call To Actions (CTAs), and to generate trending reports on usage data based on the data granularity.
Usage Data Granularity in Adoption Explorer
For example, a Company might have multiple instances as shown below. Using Adoption Explorer, you can track usage data at Company + Instance level, and can calculate metrics at each instance level.
Usage Data in Adoption Explorer can be tracked at Company, Instance and Person level. The below flow chart refers to the usage data granularity in Adoption Explorer.
The Adoption Explorer tab is available by default in the Salesforce App's Navigation Menu. But, you may still customize your tabs to remove/add the Adoption Explorer tab from your default display, refer to the Add/Remove Tabs in Salesforce App's Navigation Menu article.
You can also access Adoption Explorer by navigating to Administration > Adoption Explorer.
Administration is where admins create a project, setup source connections, configure metrics and calculations for your key usage data, check on how existing setups are working, and create/edit Usage Reports, for end users/CSMs to see on the C360 page.
Once an admin configures the project in Administration > Adoption Explorer, the authorized users can view, add or modify the usage dashboard in a project. The following image shows you the usage dashboard in a project. For information on how authorized users can create/edit dashboards in the Adoption Explorer projects, refer to the Create Layouts article.
Usage data in Adoption Explorer is stored in Information and Time Series objects.
Information: are the master objects in which the basic and metric snapshot (as of now) information related to Companies, Instances and Persons are stored. Example: Company Name, Instance Name, Total no. of licences, ARR, etc. Information consists of the following objects:
- Company (Only)
- Company + Instance
- Person (you probably refer to them as end users)
Time Series: objects that preserve the measurements or events that are tracked, monitored and aggregated over time (Daily and/or Weekly). Example: Company’s Total Pageviews in last 30 days, Person Page Views in last 30 days, etc. Time Series consists of the following objects:
- Company Time Series Daily
- Company Time Series Weekly
- Person Time Series Daily
- Person Time Series Weekly
Entitlements: objects that preserve the standard values defined on a particular field at Company level and Person level (Daily and/or weekly). You can use these objects to capture entitlements at Company level such as 'a company is entitled to 100 user licenses”, and at Person level, 'a user is entitled to storage of 10 GBs for lifetime'. Entitlement consists of the following objects:
- Company Entitlement
- Person Entitlement
Based on the metrics calculated at Company, Company + Instance, and/or Person level, as a CSM, you can view the usage reports created for the Adoption Explorer project, on the C360 page, and can derive more insights and take necessary actions, to drive your business outcomes faster than before.
Following are few use cases:
- You may want to know if there is an opportunity to sell another feature/product (cross-sell) based on the usage.
- Track license utilization ratio and product utilization. For instance, ABC customers have no.of emails (quota) per month, when utilisation is > 75%, create CTA and reach out to customers to upgrade the package.
- You may want to create a success plan to make sure the customer adopts the product/feature.
- You may want to benchmark a customer’s usage of a product/feature to the usage of similar customers.
- Check if there is a possibility of upsell to the customer based on existing usage and their entitlements.
- You want to get an alert if the customer usage increases.
- You may want to know if there is a churn risk based on usage.
- You may want to know which products/features were purchased by the customer and how they are at adoption/not being adopted, Top features used, Top Users of the system, trending information, etc.
- Project: A project is a related set of data, e.g. all the usage data about a product or set of products.
- Information: Company and Person Information objects are the master objects in which the basic and metric snapshot (as of now) information related to Companies, Instances and Persons are stored respectively. Ex: Company Name, Total no. of licences, ARR, Instance Name, Instance Location, Person Name, Person Contact, Last Login Date, etc. Once the usage data is ingested into these objects, you can calculate new metrics, summarize the data, and can create dashboards. You can also view these objects in other functionalities of Gainsight. Ex: C360/R360, Reporting and Rules, etc.
- Time Series: Time Series in Adoption Explorer are simply measurements or events that are tracked, monitored and aggregated over time (Daily and Weekly time granularity are available in Adoption Explorer).
Examples of metrics you may want to calculate using Time Series objects include:
- Company’s Total Pageviews in the last 30 days
- Company’s Total Unique Pageviews in 30 days
- Company’s Time Spent on each Page
- Person’s Total Page Views
- Person’s Total Unique Page Views per day
- Person’s Time Spent on each Page per week
Entitlement: Entitlements in Adoption Explorer calculates the percentage utilization based on the standard values defined in the source.
- Assume you are a network service provider company and have defined a standard value for your Data Storage Limit as 100 GB, and if one of your customers has used a sum of 20 GB data on a particular day, then the percentage utilization of the data (entitlement) by this customer, on that particular day is 20 % (Sum of Data used / Data Storage Limit)%.
- For instance, you have defined a standard value for Total Number of Licences as 120 in the Company Entitlement object, and then entitled the Used Licences (aggregated as Sum) field from Company Time Series object to Total Number of Licences field in the Company Entitlement object. Assume, if the sum of licences used on a particular day for a specific customer are 33, then the percentage utilization (entitlement) of the licenses by this customer, on that particular day is 27.5 % (Sum of used Licences / Total Number of Licences)%.