The global Timeline view is available as a new tab in SFDC, and also for an individual Account or Relationship in the C360 > Timeline, and R360 > Timeline. Use Timeline for logging key customer activities, such as Updates, Calls, Meetings, Emails, and note taking during or after a customer interaction. Timeline preserves a chronological history of your most significant interactions for others to view from the C360/R360 or Timeline tab. The activity and notes in Timeline help teammates and management get up to speed quickly on the customer's history, enable smooth account management transitions, and reduce the need for leadership to ask for one-off updates from account managers and CSMs.
The first time a user visits the C360/R360, they will be taken to the Timeline view. The view is sticky, meaning the next time you visit the C360/R360, you will be taken to either the Timeline or Details page, depending on which one you viewed most recently. CSMs can also add tasks in the Activity editor using a section called Tasks in the Activity Editor. Any tasks created from an activity will automatically generate a CTA in Cockpit called "To-Do: Activity Subject Name".
Users can also access the Timeline Activity from the Cockpit > CTA detail view to log an activity (for that particular account or relationship, and tied to that specific CTA) on the Timeline sub-tab. Users can also create tasks for an activity from the Cockpit > Timeline tab, and these tasks are added to the same CTA. If an activity is logged from Cockpit, you can now access that CTA using a link provided on the activity. If you click on the CTA link, the CTA opens in a new window.
For more information, admins can refer to Configure Timeline for the 360.
- Gainsight University elearning courses for Admins and End Users
- Use C360/R360 Timeline and Activities (for end users)
- Global Timeline Introduction (2 min. video introducing Global Timeline)
- C360/R360 Timeline View and Activities FAQs
- Suggested Usage (click to expand)
- Weekly updates on the Customer’s status and recent events for high-touch customers.
- Significant email, call or meeting with the customer that should be recorded in the Customer’s history along with the corresponding notes and perspective.
- When ownership transitions occur or new owners are introduced, Timeline can provide an easily digestible history with rich context to get the new owner up-to-speed.
- When Executive Sponsors or Leaders meet with a customer, they can review the Timeline to understand the customer’s history and context.
- Meeting preparation: create a draft activity and add your meeting agenda. During the meeting, use that same list to guide the meeting and increase your note-taking efficiency. ("Log" the activity if you want colleagues to be able to see it prior to the meeting.)
- If your organization uses an external note-taking solution, such as Evernote, the Timeline feature is a good alternative, since the info is visible to all GS users in the C360, can be synced automatically with SFDC, and is searchable.
- If your organization is already a heavy user of SFDC Activities, it’s easy to switch to the Timeline feature and continue syncing activities to SFDC.
- If your organization does not use Chatter or other collaboration tools, the Timeline is a great way to provide visibility into customer activities across teams.
- The layout that appears while logging an activity is administrator configured. If you would like to recommend changes to the activity layouts, please contact your Administrator.
- If your Administrator chooses to sync Timeline activities to SFDC, you’ll also be able to view the activities, and any associated attachments, on the SFDC Account page.
- You can edit the timeline entries created from any source (C360/R360/Cockpit) in the new Global Timeline area if you created the activity. Previously, the ability to edit timeline activities from other areas was not possible. You can also edit/delete activities and drafts created from Cockpit Timeline in the C360/R360 timeline area.
- Activities are automatically saved as drafts every 15 seconds.
The Timeline tab offers a global view of all activities from all sources for all accounts and relationships in one centralized place. You can not create new activities from the Timeline tab, but you can edit activities and drafts if you are the author. Search and filter options, described below, allow you to narrow down the list of activities displayed.
Note: If you see an Insufficient Privileges message appear after clicking the Timeline tab, contact your SFDC/Gainsight Admin to ask them to add profiles to access the visualforce page named “Activity Timeline”. For more information, admins can refer to Configure Timeline.
Create activities directly from the Timeline tab: Users can now create activities from the Timeline tab directly. A new option + ACTIVITY is provided on the Timeline tab for this purpose. Using this option, you can create activities for Account and Relationship contexts. All activity types including custom ones created at the Global, Account, and Relationship levels will be available for selection.
From the Timeline tab, click + ACTIVITY and select an activity type. The Activity Editor appears.
Enter info in the required fields and click LOG. A new field Related To is introduced to relate an activity to an Account or Relationship.
Relate an activity to an Account / Relationship
While creating an activity from the Timeline tab, you can relate the activity to an account or relationship using a new Related To option.
- Enter a minimum of 3 letters to initiate the Search.
- The search will be performed on the initial three letters of the Account/Relationship.
- The search at Related Field functions as Starts With.
- You cannot relate an activity to a CTA.
- If the selected activity type is not enabled for an Account/Relationship Type, the search results will not show the Account/Relationship information.
Relationship Search in the Related To field: When you search for a relationship in the Related To field, the search results will show the associated Account Name, Relationship Type, and Relationship details.
Share Activity Link with Users in your Org
Using the Share Link option, you can share an activity created in Timeline to users in your Gainsight org.
- Hover over an activity and click the More icon (three dots).
- Click Share Link. The Activity Link dialog appears.
- Click COPY. The link to the activity will be copied to the system’s clipboard. You can paste the link in any channel and share with users in your org.
- To view the activity from the link, users need to have a Gainsight License.
- Once the users click the link, they will view the individual activity as shown below.
- To view the full list of activities in Timeline tab, click Click here link at the top of the page.
View parent activity in CTA Timeline
In Cockpit > Timeline, you can view the activity from which the CTA was created. If an activity contains a follow-up task, a CTA is created in Cockpit. Now from Cockpit Timeline, you can view the activity associated with the CTA.
- In Cockpit, click a CTA.
- In the CTA Detail View, click the Timeline sub-tab.
Spell Check in the Activity Editor
While entering an activity, spell check automatically reviews the content, underlines potential errors, and offers suggested fixes.
Create/Log an Activity
To create/log an Activity:
- Navigate to C360 or R360 page. (Limited license users can also access Timeline in the GS widgets on the SFDC Account or Opportunity pages)
- Click +Activity and select an activity type. For example, Log a Meeting.
- Enter the activity details (fields will vary based on the activity type and how your Admin configured the layout):
- Subject: The subject of the call.
- Activity Date: The date of the call.
- Duration: The call duration in minutes.
- Internal Attendees: Select internal meeting attendees. Type the desired name and press enter to fetch the name automatically. Note: Internal Attendees are the users from GS Users.
- External Attendees: Select external meeting attendees. Type the desired name and press enter to fetch the name automatically. Note: External Attendees are the contacts in GS Users and GS Persons.
The left panel can be used to prepare for the call, and/or take notes during and after the call. The activity editor is equipped with rich-text capabilities like copy-paste content, keyboard shortcuts, hyperlinks, and so on.
Rich text formatting capabilities are supported while logging an activity: Users have access to all the capabilities of a rich text editor while logging an activity.
- Copy and paste content from a source to the editor. For example, you can copy paste content from Evernote or Chatter to the editor.
- Apply text formatting using keyboard shortcuts.
- Remove formatting using keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl + Shift + F / Command + Shift + F).
- Copy and paste hyperlinks directly. The text will not lose the hyperlink after pasting.
- Copy the contents of an activity to a clipboard: You can now copy the content in the activity editor using the Copy to Clipboard option. You can use this option while logging an activity or after an activity is logged. This option copies all of the content in Notes, Tasks, and other fields available in the Activity Editor.
- Click LOG. The following is how the activity appears in the TIMELINE.
Add and Assign Tasks to the Activity
Users can add tasks in the Activity editor in the Tasks section. Following are some important points about tasks in the Activity Editor:
- After users create a task in the activity editor, a task in a CTA is associated simultaneously for that particular Account or Relationship.
- If you add a task from Cockpit > CTA > Timeline, a task will be created under the selected CTA.
- If you add a task from C/R 360 Timeline, a new CTA will be created for the Account/Relationship.
- You can view this task in Cockpit with a prefix or "To-Do: <<Subject of the Activity>>".
Note: Cockpit supports a maximum of 80 characters as CTA Name, so the CTAs created from 360 > Timeline, with the <<Subject of the Activity>> more than 80 characters get trimmed on Cockpit list view page.
- If you have created multiple tasks in the Activity, multiple tasks will be created under the CTA. The CTA will be created with the Subject of the Activity.
- View CTA details in associated Activity: If an activity is created from Cockpit > Timeline, you can view the CTA details by clicking the subject of the activity.
- If an activity is created from Cockpit, a CTA label appears.
- Along with the CTA label, you can see the Account information and the CTA information.
- Click the CTA information to view the CTA.
- Users can assign the task to any user in your Salesforce org. The default assignee is the logged in user.
- Users can set a due date for the task using the Calendar icon. The due date set for the task will be the due date of the CTA task. If there are multiple tasks, the latest task due date will also be the CTA due date.
- To mark a task as Completed, users can either click the check box in the Activity Editor or mark the task done from Cockpit.
- You can access all of the tasks in the Cockpit list view by sorting for Activity type CTAs.
- By default, the Add Tasks section appears grayed out but can still be used by typing in the Add Tasks area.
Note: Task descriptions are limited to 80 characters.
Add Attachments in Activity Editor
Files can be attached to an activity, including jpg, jpeg, gif, png, bmp, pdf, doc, docx, txt, ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx, xlsm. Multiple attachments can be added at a time. Maximum attachments per activity are five and maximum file size of the total attachments is 30 MB. Only the user who creates the activity can add/delete attachments. Activity/Timeline can be searched by attachment name and attachment content.
To attach a file:
- Start logging an activity.
- In the Activity Editor, click on the attachment icon.
Select the file(s) that you want to attach.
Note: Maximum attachments per activity are five and maximum file size per attachment is 5 MB. You can preview the attachment soon after uploading.
The paper clip icon shows that the specific activity has a file(s) attached to it.
When you expand the activity, you can see the attachment. The user can download the attachment from the activity editor.
To delete an attachment, click the delete icon. There is no undo option available after deleting the attachment.
Add Comments to Timeline Activities
You can add comments to your own activities or other user’s activities to ask questions as well as provide answers and clarifications. Comments added to an activity become a record that any user can reference.
Note: The comments feature is not available within the mobile app.
The comment icon for each activity in the Activity list view displays the number of comments recorded for an activity. You can click this icon to view the comments in the activity detail view.
Users can comment on the activities they own or on the Activities owned by other users. The comment box is equipped with text formatting options, and users can tag other users in their comments. When a user is tagged in a comment, the tagged users and the activity owners receive an email notification with the name of the activity in the subject line. Users can tag a maximum of 10 users in a single comment. Comments can have a maximum of 4000 characters.
To add Comments, take the following steps:
- Navigate to the Activity Timeline page.
- Click the Comments icon of an Activity or expand the Activity and scroll down to the comments section. This displays the comments in the Activity detail view. By default, the Activity detail view displays the first three most recent comments.
- (Optional) To view all the comments, click View All Comments.
- Enter your Comment in the Comments section.
- (Optional) To tag a user in your comment, type @ followed by the first few letters of the first name of the intended user and select a name from the suggestions.
Note: If the required user name is not displayed, the user may not have been added through the user Management page.
Click CANCEL to stop adding the comment, or click SAVE to add it to the activity.
Edit and Delete Comments
Users can edit and delete only the comments they authored. To edit or delete comments, perform the following steps:
- Hover over the comment you wish to edit or delete. This displays the edit and delete icons.
- Click the edit icon to modify the text of the comment.
- Click CANCEL to undo any edits you’ve made, or click SAVE to preserve these edits.
- Click the delete icon to remove the comment. This displays a message confirming if you want to delete the comment.
- Click YES to complete the deletion. Click NO to cancel the deletion.
Search in the Timeline tab
In the new Timeline tab, you can search using the following items in both activities and drafts:
- Account / Relationship / CTA names
- Activity names
- Subject names
- Author name (name of the person who created the activity)
- Relationship name
- Relationship Type
- Attachment name
After you search using a keyword, the timeline entries will be filtered based on the keyword.
Search Activity Types
You can search activity types from global Timeline, C360/R360, and Cockpit pages. To search an activity type, hover the mouse to the Activity Type button and type the name of the activity in the search box.
Filter Activities in Timeline tab
The new Timeline tab is equipped with basic filtering capabilities. Using the filter icon, you can filter by Account, Relationship Type, Author (Created By), Activity Type, and so on.
- Account - type an account name in the text box. You can also type multiple account names.
- Activity Dates (From and To) - select an operator and select a from date and to date at this field.
- Greater than
- Lesser than
- Author - You can search for the activity by typing the name of the user in the text box. You can also search using multiple user names.
- Activity Type - filter the activity type by selecting from Global, account, and relationship activity types.
- Relationship Type - filter the activities by relationship types. You can also filter using multiple relationship types.
- Relationship - filter the activities by relationships. You can also search using multiple relationships.
- After selecting the required fields, click APPLY.
- Click CLEAR to clear all of the filters.
Navigate to other modules from the Timeline tab
As the new Timeline tab contains entries from different modules of Gainsight, options are provided to automatically navigate to the respective areas easily. Full context of the activity is shown in the header of the Activity Editor and you can click on the text to navigate to the respective page.
- Clicking on CTA subject will navigate you to the Cockpit page.
- Clicking on Rel. activity subject will navigate you to the Rel. 360 page.
- Clicking on Customer name will navigate to the C360 page.
When you hover over the Timeline text, you can see that it is a Relationship as shown in the following image. If you click on Timeline, you will be navigated to the R360 page. Similarly, if you click on AAR Corp, you will be navigated to the C360 page.
Clicking on AAR Corp will navigate you to the account’s C360 page.
- You can view and search for the saved drafts using Search Drafts.
- Type the subject of the draft or keywords from the draft content.
- Draft activities are private to the user who created them.
- The maximum number of drafts that can be logged by an user is 50.
- Enter keywords to search for activities using the Search Activities option. The subject and body of the activity will be searched for exact matches.
- A user can only view other user’s Activities on the Timeline and cannot edit/delete them.
- To delete multiple drafts, select the check box for the required drafts and click delete.
Update Timeline Activities
From Timeline, you have the ability to update historical activity entries. When updating an activity, you may notice that it moves to the top of the list of activities, when in fact it occurred in the more distant past. This is expected behavior. However, if you refresh the page, your updated activity will return to its historic location.
View and Update Relationship Activities from C360 page
You can view Relationship Activities of an Account from the C360 page as well (apart from R360 page). The Activities created from R360 page are displayed with an R symbol followed by the Relationship Name, on the C360 page.
You can also perform the following tasks on Relationship Activities in C360 page:
- Edit Relationship Activities in C360:
- Click the edit icon for a Relationship Activity.
- Make the necessary modifications and click UPDATE.
- Search or filter Relationship Activities from the C360 page:
- Search for a particular Relationship activity draft in the Drafts section.
Keyboard shortcuts in Activity Editor
Following keyboard shortcuts are added to the editor:
- Bold - Ctrl + B / Command + B
- Italic - Ctrl + I / Command + I
- Underline - Ctrl + U / Command + U
- Justify left - Ctrl + L / Command + L
- Justify Center - Ctrl + E / Command + E
- Justify Right - Ctrl + R / Command + R
- Start a ordered list - Ctrl + Shift + 7 / (Command + Shift + 7)
- Start a un-ordered list - Ctrl + Shift + 8 / (Command + Shift + 8)
- Anchor - Ctrl + K / Command + K
- Remove formatting - Ctrl + Shift + F / Command + Shift + F
Use Controller and Dependent Dropdown Lists in Activity Timeline
You can add fields on the Dependent and Controller Categories that are created in the Administration > Data Management > Dropdown Lists > +DEPENDENCY page. When these fields are used in Timeline, system allows you to select the item(s) in a Dependent field based on the selection of an item in the Controller field. For more information about how to create Controller and Dependent Categories, refer Creating a Dropdown list for Dependent Categories.
Note: Activity Timeline does not support dependent fields of multi select dropdown list category.
To use Controller and Dependent dropdown lists in Activity Timeline:
- Navigate to Administration > Activities and Timeline > GENERAL SETTINGS tab.
- Click +ACTIVITY TYPE to create a new activity or edit icon of an existing Activity Type (here it is Email) in the Activity Type section. Add or Edit Activity Type dialog appears.
- Click +FIELD in the Configure Layout section.
- Provide the following details while creating a field.
- Field Type: Dropdown
- Name: As per individual choice (Here it is ‘CountryX’).
- Category: Controlling dropdown category (here it is ‘Country’).
- If you do not see the Controlling Field after selecting the ‘Country’ Category, that means the category you selected is either Controller or has no dependencies. You can create controlling field for Country from Data Management page.
- You can click here to navigate to the Data Management page to add a new category or controlling field from this dialog. Data Management page is opened in a new tab. For more information on how to add a new category, refer Create a new Category.
You can also add fields from the Available fields to the Selected fields. To add dependent fields, add controlling fields first.
- Click +FIELD again to add the dependent dropdown.
- Add dependent dropdown and save. Provide the following details while adding field(s).
Field Type: Dropdown
- Name: As per individual choice (Here it is ‘StateX’).
- Category: Dependent dropdown (here it is ‘State’)
- Controlling Field: Select a controlling field for the Category selected above (CountryX).
- Navigate to C360 > Timeline or directly Timeline tab.
- Click +ACTIVITY.
- Select the activity type from the dropdown list (here it is Email). The Log an Email dialog box appears.
- Provide the required information. This dialog box contains the dependent field (StateX) with a controlling field (CountryX).
Note: The items in the dependent category (here, it is the list of states) are in correspondence with the item selected in the controlling category (here, it is the list of countries). Example, if "United States" is selected from the controlling category (CountryX), then only the dependent category (StateX) shows the list of states. If you change the country, the corresponding states will also be changed.
Tag internal GS users with @ symbol in Activity Notes
CSMs can tag their colleagues or execs in activity notes which in turn triggers an email notification to the @ mentioned individual. This allows CSMs to request help from, or share important updates with teammates who may not otherwise visit or have easy access to the customer's Timeline. CSMs can tag active users just by typing '@' in the notes, and a list of all internal GS users will be displayed. The search list will auto-suggest users based on the characters typed. An email notification containing the activity details is sent to the tagged user with the name of the activity in the subject line. When an activity is updated, notification will not be sent to the user who is already tagged.
If the CSM deletes the activity, it will show that the activity does not exist anymore if management tries to access the particular account in Timeline > Activity.
Note: There’s no minimum character limit when search starts. For example, if user types @n, all users starting with "n" will be displayed in the search result in the form of dropdown.
When you successfully select the user, the tagged user-name becomes a hyperlink. On hover, it shows a few attributes of the user such as user name and email.
Perform the following steps to tag people in the activity notes:
- Navigate to Customer 360 (of any customer) > Timeline or navigate to Global Timeline > List of Activities.
- Click edit icon of an existing activity that you want to share with your manager using the new tagging feature. The following image shows a sample activity where you tag several people to notify about the progress of your progress/status of this activity.
Click UPDATE if it is an existing activity. Or, click LOG if it is a new activity.
Note: Once the activity is logged, you can go to C360 > Timeline for this activity by clicking on the name of the activity.
As soon as a user is tagged in any activity, the tagged person receives an email notification containing the detailed status of the specific activity. This reduces the task of the management to manually login to Gainsight to see the individual status and every details of your account. Following image is a sample email notification to the user who was tagged in one of the activities.
- Applicable only to Internal GS Users.
- In SFDC, users are added from the Setup > Manage Users > Users
- Admins can create, view, and manage users.
- Navigate to Administration > User Management page. Admins can view the list of users synced to GS-User object.
- The users added must have SFDC permission in order to access Gainsight page.
- Users should be synced to GS Users Object. For more information, refer Gainsight User Object.
- Maximum 10 unique users can be tagged in an activity
- Existing tagged users don't receive email notification if the activity is updated. When you edit an activity that contains tagged users, you need to delete the existing tagged users and tag them again, then it will send a fresh email notification about the recent changes made to the activity.
- If you create an activity and tag yourself in the activity, you will not receive any email notification.
Users must have the SFDC License (SFDC Edition) and Gainsight License (Standard Edition) to access the Admins Users page.
|Note: If you have questions or any feedback about the feature explained in this article, please start a conversation on community.gainsight.com.|