Gainsight is moving towards all Timeline functionality using data from Gainsight Standard Objects such as the Company, Relationship, and User objects instead of SFDC Objects such as Account or User. Some Timeline features such as @mentions, BCC to Timeline, and the Google Chrome Extension already rely on Gainsight Standard Objects. These changes bring greater standardization to the functionality of Timeline.
IMPORTANT: Timeline External Attendees work with the Gainsight Standard Company Person Object starting on July 7. This enhancement requires syncing SFDC Contact data to Gainsight. We recommend syncing this data through the Company Person Sync Job. If you do not have a SFDC Contact data sync configured to Gainsight Standard objects, the External Attendee search function will stop working as expected when this feature is enabled on July 7.
- This enhancement does not change how data is stored and does not affect the functionality of existing rules or reports.
- After the data is added to Gainsight objects, it can take up a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 24 hours depending on the configuration, for the Timeline page to load. You may see the following error message while the data is being cached.
Contact Data Sync Configuration
To configure a sync between your SFDC Contact data and the Gainsight Person and Company Person objects:
- Navigate to Administration > Connectors 2.0 > DATA JOBS.
- Hover over the job named Company Person Sync_Connection Name and click the Edit icon.
Note: Company Person Sync is an Out of the Box job offered by Gainsight in the Salesforce Connector but this data job should be configured as required for the Timeline External Attendees.
- Review the Job Configuration details. By default, this job has a dependency on the Company Sync Job. The Notification Details field contains the email address of the logged in user. You can add, edit or delete email recipients. The default setting selections will work to establish the data sync.
- Click SAVE.
Field Mappings and Derived Mappings
To perform the Field mappings and Derived mappings:
- Click to expand Data Source and Field Mappings.
- Review the following Data Source and Field Mapping configurations:
- By default, the source object is mapped to the Salesforce Contact object, and the target object is mapped to the Gainsight Company Person object. You cannot modify this setting.
- There are five field mappings configured in this job by default. You can add or edit the mappings, but the default selection will work to establish the data sync. The mappings are:
- First Name > First Name (Person)
- Last Name > Last Name (Person)
- Email > Email (Person)
- Contact ID > SFDC Contact ID (Company Person)
- Account ID > SFDC Account ID (Company Person)
- Upsert Keys are automatically selected as per Person Resolution Key Configuration in the Person Admin page. For more information, refer to the People Management article.
- Click SAVE MAPPINGS. This displays an Info window confirming the changes made.
- Click OK.
- Click to expand and review Derived Mappings. By default, there are two derived mappings configured in this job. You can add or edit the mappings, but the default selection will work to establish the data sync. The mappings are:
- Reports to ID > Manager (Company Person)
- Account ID > Company ID (Company Person)
To configure the Sync Filters:
- Click to expand Sync Filters. By default, no filters are selected. We recommend adding filters so that only relevant Contacts are synced to Gainsight. For example, to make sure only Active Contacts that are linked to an SFDC customer are synced to Gainsight, you would add the following filters:
- Customer Info does not equal Null
- Status does not equal Inactive
- Click SAVE FILTER. This displays an Info window confirming the changes made.
- Click OK.
To configure the Schedule of this job configuration:
- Click to expand Schedule.
- Select the Enable Schedule check box and select how frequently the job is run.
- Click SAVE.
- Under On demand, select Import all data to sync all relevant SFDC contacts to Gainsight.
- Click IMPORT.
IMPORTANT: This will immediately initiate a request to run the job. Make sure you have finalized your selections before doing so.
For more information on the Job Schedule, refer to the Salesforce Connector documentation.