This article explains how to use and navigate within the rules engine List view, Timeline view, and Rule chain view.
Navigate to Administration > Rules Engine.
Search for a rule
The search field at the top of the Rules Engine > RULES LIST tab allows the user to search for a specific rule, instead of having to scroll and find a rule. If you search for a rule using the search field, the text typed in the search field persists even if you navigate to another rule and then come back to the RULES LIST tab. This is true even when you switch between different tabs, such as RULE CHAIN and TIMELINE. However, the text entered in the search field is erased when you navigate away from the Rules Engine section.
Note: In the search field, Filter by rule name is displayed by default as shown in the following image.
Advanced Search Filters
In the Administration > Rules Engine page, new search filters are available.
You can filter the rules in the Rules List page using the following fields:
- Action Name - Select a rule action name.
- Created By - Select the name of a user who created the rule.
- Created Date - Select the date on which the rule was created.
- Execution Type - Select the method by which the rule is executed.
- Last Updated By - Select the name of the user who last updated the rule.
- Last Updated Date - Select the date on which the rule was last updated.
- Relationship Type - Select a relationship type.
- Rule Chain - Select the name of a Rule chain.
- Rule For - Select Account or Relationship.
- Rule Type - Select Bionic or Custom.
- Source Object - Select one or more source objects used in the rules. The source objects of all the rules will be available here for selection.
- Target Object - Select a target object. A target object is an object to which the rule is writing data to (all Load to actions write data to objects). You can select either one or multiple target objects.
- You can select multiple filters from the Filters dialog.
- The filters will still be applied even when you refresh the page or navigate to a different page. To remove a filter, click on the X icon or click RESET and then click APPLY.
- Rule title search and Active/Inactive search is performed on the filtered list.
Rules Engine Settings
- Permissions - Rules Load Actions: Previously took you to data load configurations.
- OAuth User Info: Shows the OAuth user currently authorized, and the date of authorization.
- Usage Configuration: Shows the current setting of Time Granularity. Time granularity can be in months or weeks.
- Time Zone: An org-wide setting that is used to determine the definition of day. The Timezone set in Administration > Application Settings > Operations > Timezone pane is honored in Rules Engine.
Note: In order to access the Settings icon in the Rules Engine, you need the Gainsight Special permission set. If you need access to the Rules Config (Permissions - Rules Load Actions), contact your Salesforce Admin and request the "Gainsight Special" permission set.
Rules Engine List View Features
In the RULES LIST tab you can:
- Filter by Active / Inactive Rules
- Add a new rule.
- Clone: Cloning creates a copy of the rule. The cloned rule also has the same state as its source rule; If source rule is active, cloned rule is also active and if source rule is inactive, cloned rule is also inactive. To learn about what happens to the schedule of the cloned rule, refer to the Schedules of Cloned Rules section of the Schedule Rules article.
- Toggle an existing rule on/off: If you click this toggle, schedules and events associated with the rule will be deleted. You should schedule the rule to run the rule again in a schedule.
- Run Now
- Timeline view
- List view
- Rule chain view
- Rule Details view or Preview. Click on the Rule Name to see the Rule Details view.
- Import Rule Templates from Vault
- Folders section
- The folder to which the rule belongs to
- Scan: Click here to scan the selected Rule.
The Preview section of a Rule displays important information like the objects used, the various datasets present in the rule, the rule chain to which a Rule belongs to, the actions used in the rule, and so on. All this information is divided across four tabs. To view the Preview section of a rule, click the rule name hyperlink. The four tabs present on Rule Preview are:
RULE INFO: This tab displays information like the Rule Type, Rule Status, Rule chains to which a belongs to (hyperlinked), and so on.
RULE SETUP: This tab displays the datasets used in the Rule, in a tree structure under the Data Flow Diagram section. You can also view other details of each task like Output Dataset task, Source objects, fields used in the Show section and so on.
RULE ACTIONS: This tab displays the various actions used in the rule.
EXECUTION HISTORY: This tab displays the history of executions for a rule. You can view the rule results and download the same. The rule results are available up to 30 days for you to download.
Timeline view also enables you to abort a rule using the Abort option beside RULE DATE. Abort option is enabled for any rule scheduled for a run. You can use this option when the rule run is initiated unintentionally or if the rule is not configured as required.
Abort option is also available in the EXECUTION HISTORY tab of Rule Details.
When a rule that is used in a Rule Chain is aborted, you are prompted with an option to abort the rule chain in the Abort Rule dialog box.
Abort rule chain check box:
- Select this option to abort the Rule Chain(s) which the rule is a part of.
- Deselect this option to abort only the selected rule and the dependent rules in the respective Rule Chain(s). The independent rules in the Rule Chain are executed as scheduled.
Rule Chain View
Rule Chains are groups of related rules that have been chained together to execute one after another with a shared schedule. In the RULE CHAIN tab, you can configure chains of rules, as well as view existing rule chains. Each rule chain is represented by a card (refer the following image). For more information, refer to the Creating Rule Chain article in the Additional Resources section.
Rule Details View or Preview
When you click on Edit icon available for each existing rule name (widget), you can see the list of rules in it. Click on any rule name, it navigates to Preview window that contains RULE INFO, RULE SETUP, RULE ACTIONS, and EXECUTION HISTORY tabs.