IMPORTANT: We recommend using Program for the majority of email use cases. The standard Outreach feature should still be used for emails that require the Time Identifier feature, which gives users the ability to send emails at different times to different recipients based on defined criteria. For more information, refer to Introduction to Programs.
Outreaches utilize Power Lists and Email templates and allow you to schedule your communication with customers in a personalized and effective way. During the Outreach configuration, you will select the power list, email template, to/from email addresses and names, and perform any token mapping.
Note: An Outreach always uses the most current version of an email template. However, if new tokens are added or removed after the outreach is configured, the outreach execution will fail.
Create Outreach and Select Power List
1. Navigate to Journey Orchestrator > Outreaches
2. Click + Outreach and enter the appropriate name in Outreach Name
3. Select one of these three options:
- Account: Standard/default option
- User: Select User if you are sending an Outreach to internal SFDC users (see this article for detailed instructions)
- Relationship: Select Relationship if you are sending an Outreach to contacts in your Relationships (see this article for more info)
4. Click Create.
5. From the To menu, select the desired power list. For more information, on how to create a power list, refer to Create Journey Orchestrator Power Lists (aka, email contact list). (Note: Power Lists are limited to 200k contacts.)
Email Copy: You can send copies of your email to a maximum of three recipients, which can be used for archival purposes. Click the Email Copy link to enter email addresses in the Email Copy to field, which is displayed after selecting Email Copy. You can choose to enter a static address or a lookup in this field.
Note: Using the Email Copy feature is not the same as the CC option. The email addresses entered under Email Copy will receive copies of every email sent, as this feature is intended for archival purposes.
Continue Configuring Email
6. Key in or select the appropriate values in the following fields:
- From Name: The name that should appear in the From field of an email.
- From Email: The email ID from which the email is sent.
- Reply-To: The email ID at which a reply must be received.
- Template: From the drop-down box, select the appropriate email template.
Note: If your template contains token placeholders, hover over the placeholders and click the mapping icon. Then, you can select the fields/tokens to map the placeholders to. Journey Orchestrator fields support the same range of special characters for email addresses that are supported in Salesforce. When the outreach is sent, the token values are fetched dynamically. In order to tokenize fields, they must first be added under "Select list fields" in the Power List setup step.
Click the eye icon to the right of the To menu to view the power list in a pop-up window.
7. Select Send Email once in [number] days to define recurrence for sending an email. Un-check this option if you need to send the email more than once every 30 days. Also, you can select Send unique email to an email ID across different accounts to ensure unique emails are sent to email ID that are present in different accounts.
8. (Optional) Select Log Email to SalesForce Activity only if the outreach recipient is a contact. This option creates a record of the email under the contact's Activity History in Salesforce. NOTE: This option is only available for Power List contacts from Salesforce, and not MDA. Also, it's currently not possible to log the activity as a specific SFDC task type.
As shown in the image above, the Task Owner Field drop-down box pulls its values from the Select the list fields section in the Power List (pictured below). By default, the Default Task Owner will be the user currently logged in.
Note: If the Power List and Outreach were configured prior to the July 2016 release, you must add the CSM field to the select list fields manually in order to see the Task Owner selections in the Outreach configuration.
Preview Sample Outreach
- Select appropriate value in Select contact to preview email, or use the Previous and Next Contact options to scroll through the preview for multiple contacts in your power list.
- Select the mobile icon in the preview screen to preview your email for mobile devices.
Send Test Email
Optional: Enter appropriate value in Send test email to. For example, enter your email ID here; then click Send. You will receive a personalized email that contains a preview of the template you selected for the selected contact. You can also open the email on your own mobile device.
- When you click Send in the window above, it will say "Triggering the outreach." Don't worry; only your test email is being sent.
- You will need "View All Data" permissions to send test emails or to manually send outreaches, only if you have the Log Email to Salesforce Activity option enabled in the Outreach.
Back in the Outreach Configuration view, you can either click Run to execute the outreach immediately, or click Proceed to Schedule to define a schedule for outreach execution.
9. Select Don't send email when Token/Placeholder value is not available if you want to cancel the email to an individual contact, if one or more of the tokens are null.
10. Click Save. (You must click Save in order to see Preview and the other buttons displayed.)
11. Click Preview to preview your outreach.
- On the Schedule page, click the desired date to execute the outreach. Use the mail icon in the right corner to enter an email address for the outreach results to be sent to. This email address may be updated for each scheduled Outreach execution.
Edit Outreach Schedule
To edit a scheduled outreach, click the outreach in the calendar, and then click GO TO.
This will open the Configure Outreach window. Click the Proceed to Schedule button at the bottom of the page.
This will re-open the outreach calendar view, but now your selected outreach will appear in blue on the calendar. Click it again and you will see a new option to Update.
- Schedule outreach execution using One Time or Recurring Schedule.
- If you create a Recurring Schedule, select the tab for Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
- Tip: An option is provided to schedule an outreach on the Last day of every month.
- Enter the appropriate values for frequency, start and end date, and preferred time.
- Click Create.
Delete Outreach Schedule
1. To delete an outreach's scheduled run, navigate to the Outreach and click the edit icon.
2. From there, click PROCEED TO SCHEDULE at the bottom of the edit Outreach page.
3. This will open the Outreach calendar view. Locate the next scheduled run of the Outreach and click on it.
4. Click on the trash can icon to delete the scheduled run to delete it.
Outreaches List View, including Analytics
The Outreaches page displays a list of available outreaches. In addition, it also provides useful data on the total number of emails opened, (links) clicked, bounced, and spammed. Based on the total emails opened, you'll also see Open Rate.
Open Rate = "Opened" /(Total number of successful emails sent - Bounced Emails) * 100.
"Opened" calculates how many of the sent emails were initially opened. The value of this field will either be 1 or 0. The "Opened" field is not actually displayed in the Outreach UI, but is available in the Email Logs object in the Report Builder.
The "Total Opens" number refers to a field called Open Count that tells how many times the emails were opened all together; this would include the same email being opened twice.
Additional information on Journey Orchestrator Analytics is available in the article Review Journey Orchestrator Analytics (Reports).
Outreach Detail View
The Outreach Detail View is available when you click on an existing outreach.
In the Report tab, you can track user clicks on most clicked hyperlinks after an outreach is sent. The Click-to-Open Rates were previously available in reports on the Email Logs object. The following types of reports are added to Outreach statistics:
- In Open Rate section, Opened, Not Opened, and Bounced & Spammed percentages are shown.
- In Click-to-Open Rate section, percentage of user clicks on a campaign is shown.
The filter icon allows you to search outreaches by the following conditions:
- Created by me: Filters outreaches that you created.
- Created by others: Filters outreaches created by others.
- Standard Outreach: Filters standard outreaches.
- Survey Outreach: Filters survey outreaches.
- Report Outreach: Filters outreaches containing reports.
A Refresh option on the Outreach page can be used to address the page loading delays.
This option is disabled for an hour after the user clicks on it, and a timer is displayed to inform the user when it will be enabled again.
Note: Automatic refresh occurs every 24 hrs. if users do not click the Refresh option.
The Outreaches List View page also displays the date and time at which it was last refreshed by the user.
If an Outreach is triggered after clicking the Refresh option, the data of the total number of emails opened, (links) clicked, bounced, and spammed are updated on the EXECUTION HISTORY tab in the Detail View of that outreach. But, the data such as a number of Customers and Emails Sent are not updated in the Outreaches List View. These stats are updated in the next refresh schedule.
Abort Outreach option
After you trigger an outreach, you can abort the email trigger using the new Abort Outreach option. The Execution History will list such outreaches as "Aborted". The total count of aborted recipients will be available under the Skipped column. The Abort option will only be available if the outreach is queued or processing.
Note: If emails are already triggered or delivered to the recipients, there is no way to abort the outreach execution or to take the triggered emails back. In addition, aborting an outreach is not always deterministic. It is possible that you are too late in clicking the Abort button, and the emails are already delivered to all of the recipients.
One must remember that during the outreach execution process, the abort feature figures out the next logical step for aborting. If outreach execution is queued, all emails are aborted safely. If outreach is already in progress, only a few emails would be aborted. For execution already in progress, you must check the Excel sheets that you receive via email. All aborted recipients will be available under the Failed Records sheet. You can also find the total number of recipients that were aborted under the Skipped column in Execution History.
Execution History: This tab displays the execution history and its Type of the selected outreach.
Outreach Info: This tab displays the entities that are used for selected outreach and also identifies who and when the outreach was created.
The Follow Up Outreach tab allows you to follow up with email contacts on the basis of the following values:
- Email Not Opened: select this value if you want to follow up with contacts who have not opened your email communication.
- Email Opened: select this value if you want to follow up with contacts that opened your email communication.
- Link Not Clicked: select this value if you want to follow up with contacts who have not clicked a link (any link) contained in your email communication.
- Link Clicked: select this value if you want to follow up with contacts who clicked a link contained in your email communication.
For more information, refer to Create a Follow Up Outreach's Power List.