Admins can link different CTA types with one or more SFDC objects that are related to any account or relationship. Linking allows end users to perform additional actions within the CTA detail view. For example, if you link Contacts or SFDC Opportunities to a CTA, the end user can link the CTA to an existing Contact or Opportunity, or create new ones in SFDC. With linked objects, Admins can essentially configure CTA forms that will display or collect information from the end user directly in the Cockpit.
The SFDC objects which have at least one field with a look up to the account will be available in the Linked Objects section to link to CTAs. Examples: SFDC Opportunity, Milestone, Cases, etc. For specific use cases and instructions, see Create CTA Forms Using Linked Objects (written tutorial), or this video.
Add a linked object to a CTA type
At both Account and Relationship levels:
- Select a CTA type and a linked object. A new field will be created on the CTA object which will hold reference to the linked record.
- Gear Icon: This enables you to configure search and filter criteria for a linked object.
- Click the Gear icon for any linked object. The ‘Selected Linked Object’ Search Configuration dialog box is displayed.
- Enter the required information as displayed in the following image:
- Search Fields: Click +ADD to add fields.
Note: A minimum of one field must be added. The maximum limit is four fields.
- Account fields: By default, Account ID is selected. Admins can edit this field.
- Click +FIELDS to add fields to filter criteria. By default, the Account ID = CTA Account ID filter is mapped. Admins can edit this mapping.
- Admin can modify the expression as required.
- Click SAVE to save the configuration or click CANCEL.
- Navigate to Cockpit > List View > CTA detail view to view the configuration results while performing search.
- Bi-directional association: Enabling bi-directional sync will create a field on the linked object to hold reference on the linked record back to the CTA. De-linking the object will not remove fields from the corresponding objects and should be deleted manually from the back end.
Once an object is associated, you will see the following new sub-tab under the Detail view layout configuration where you can add fields from the selected object into that section.
Configure Record Types
To allow CSMs to select record types from Cockpit, admins must first configure Linked Objects and then the Record Types defined in Salesforce appear in the dropdown list. The below configuration allows CSMs to create new records in a linked object from Cockpit, CSMs can select the Record Types defined in Salesforce. This configuration is per CTA type and Relationship Type.
CSMs will see the record types and the corresponding picklist values based on the settings defined in Salesforce.
To Configure a Record Type in a Linked Object:
- Click the Select Default Record Type dropdown list. You can see the list of record types configured from Salesforce, along with the Default Record Type set in Salesforce. To configure record types in Salesforce, click Create Record Types in Salesforce.
- Select the required record type.
- Salesforce Default Record Type: The default record type set in Salesforce. If you wish to continue with the existing functionality, you can select this record type and deselect the Allow users to select other Record Types checkbox.
- Gainsight Default Record Type: The record type you select from the dropdown list.
- If you select the Allow users to select other Record Types checkbox, CSMs/users can see all the record types in the dropdown list, along with the default types, from Cockpit.
- The default values set for each field in the detail view layout are NOT per record type.
Once you configure the record types, CSMs/Users can select a Record Type, while creating a new record in a linked object from Cockpit > Detail View.
- Users will not be able to create a new record, if they do not have access to to the selected record type. Contact your Salesforce administrator for access rights.
- By default, the Salesforce default record type is selected for the CTAs created from Rules, Surveys, etc., but users can still delink and select the required record types.
Configure linked objects for Relationship CTAs
To configure linked objects for relationship CTAs:
- Navigate to Administration > Workflow > Call to Action > RELATIONSHIP.
- Scroll down to the Linked Objects section.
- Select the CTA Type in Detail view layout configuration section.
- By default, you can view the fields in the Relationship Mapping Attributes group for the selected CTA type, based on the relationship type definition.
- The fields in Relationship Mapping Attributes are mandatory and not editable.
- If a field already exists in the Relationship type definition and CTA type layout, the relationship type definition takes precedence. This field is visible in the Mapping group in CTA detail view and not in the Linked object group.
Click SAVE to save the configuration.
In Cockpit - CTA detail view:
The relationship linked object fields are displayed in Default Group and relationship mapping fields are displayed in Relationship Mapping Attributes.
If only one field is mapped, this field is not editable. If multiple fields are mapped, you can select from the available mapped values.
Configure Detail view layout configuration
- Select the CTA Type. (This configuration is per CTA type.)
- Click the new linked object sub-tab (eg. Case) and create a new group by clicking “+ Group” or edit the existing Default Group (change the name by clicking it once).
- Click +Field to add the fields you want to display in the CTA detail view.
- Set the fields to Read Only or Mandatory as needed.
- Click Save.
From the Cockpit list view, users will be able to view the fields you've configured, and/or create a new record of this type, or link with an existing record. Example: You could create a new SFDC opportunity or link with an existing opportunity from the Cockpit.
Case linked object example:
Opportunity linked object example:
Link to SFDC page
For a linked object, a hyperlink is displayed in the Cockpit detail view page, which navigates you to the SFDC record page. Also, in CTA detail view > Customers tab, a hyperlink is displayed, which navigates you to the corresponding SFDC Account page.
Link to SFDC record page:
- Open a CTA containing a linked object in detail view.
- Click the linked object tab. A hyperlink is displayed which navigates you to the Salesforce record for the associated linked object.
- Click the hyperlink. The SFDC record page for the corresponding linked object is displayed.
Link to SFDC Account page:
- Open a CTA in detail view.
- Click the CUSTOMER tab. A hyperlink is displayed which navigates you to the corresponding Salesforce Account page.
- Click the hyperlink. The corresponding SFDC Account page is displayed.
- Admin must have permission to link objects, otherwise they will see an error upon saving. Go to Setup > Profiles > edit your profile > [enable modify all data].
- Objects having Read Only permissions in Salesforce setup can be linked in CTA configuration but the fields can only be viewed in CTA detail view.
- Objects having Read and Write permissions in Salesforce setup can be linked in CTA configuration. End users can view and edit the fields in CTA detail view provided Bidirectional Association is enabled in Linked Objects section.
- If you are linking to any Gainsight object, you will only be able to link a CTA with an existing record but will not be able to create new records.
- ‘Task’ and ‘Call to action’ objects are not supported.
- 'Description' should be an added field to the task layout; and 'Comments' should also be added to the CTA detail view layout configuration for the desired CTA types in order for comments on tasks to appear on SFDC tasks.