This article is about how Admins can view license type and assign licenses while creating users through a CSV file. You can filter the users based on license type and create reports of the licensed users in a company. Following are the topics covered in this article:
- User License Type
- Filter Users Based on License Type
- Assign License through Uploading CSV file
- Assign Licenses through External Systems
- Create Report on License Type
User License Type
Admins can view user license type in the User Management page of Gainsight application. License Type field is selected by default in user attributes in the User Management page. Following are the license types:
- Viewer License: Users can only view pages assigned to them as part of the Viewer permission set.
- Full License: Users will have access to products based on the permission bundles assigned to them in Gainsight.
- Super admins will have Full license type by default.
- Unlicensed license type is assigned to existing users who do not have any permission bundles assigned to them in the Source system. While uploading users through CSV, if no license type or invalid license type is present in the License Type field in CSV, then the users will be assigned with Unlicensed license type.
In the User Detail page, while adding a User manually:
- If the value for the Super Admin field is selected as TRUE, then a Full License license type is assigned to the User.
- If the value for the Super Admin field is selected as FALSE, then Unlicensed license type is assigned to the User.
Filter Users Based on License Type
You can filter the users based on the license type in the User Management page. Select the License Type in the field and select in as an operator. Select any of the following new filter values added:
- Full: Select this option to view a list of users with full licenses.
- Viewer: Select this option to view a list of users with Viewer licenses.
- Unlicensed: Select this option to view a list of users without licenses.
Note: You can also add an Active or Inactive filter to view the list of Active or Inactive users for each license type.
Assign License through CSV file
While adding users through a CSV file, licenses are assigned to the users in the Gainsight application based on the following criteria:
- Full License: If the Super Admin field is set to TRUE for a user, then a Full License license type is assigned.
- Unlicensed: If the Super Admin field is set to FALSE for a user, then a Unlicensed license type is assigned.
- If an invalid value or no value is present in the License Type field in the CSV, then a Full License is assigned to Super Admins.
- You can not assign a Viewer License through a CSV file.
Assign Licenses through External Systems
When users are synced from the Salesforce Connector, following table explains the conditions of assigning a license type in Gainsight:
|#||Role||Access to Gainsight in Salesforce (Gainsight License)||Permission Sets Assigned in Salesforce||Assigned License Type in Gainsight|
|1||Super Admin||Yes||Yes||Full License|
|5||User||Yes||Full + Viewer||Full License|
|6||User||Yes||Viewer + Viewer||Viewer License|
- Gainsight only supports assigning of licenses through Salesforce Connector. All users synced to Gainsight through other Connectors will be created as Unlicensed users in the Gainsight application.
- Gainsight license are assigned based on permission sets assigned to the users in the Salesforce application. As this is only one time sync, any changes to user permission sets in the Salesforce will not be honored to update the license type for the next User sync with Gainsight.
For more information, refer to the Manage Gainsight Users from User Management article.
Create Report on License Type
Admins can create a report of the users with license types in the Report Builder page. To create a report on license type, select the User object in the Data Source field and other required fields in the Show me field in the Report Builder page.
To create a report on license type:
- Navigate to Administration > Report Builder.
- Click +REPORT.
- Select User object in the Data Source field.
- Click + button each time to add Name, Email ID, Status, and License Type in the Show me field.
- Click RUN to view the report.
- Click the Save icon at the top of the page.
- Enter a Name and Description (Optional).
- Click SAVE to save the Report.
For more information, refer to the How to Build Basic Reports article.