This tutorial describes how to create a rule to automatically fill a Date field when a milestone is applied to a CTA. For the purposes of the tutorial, we use a custom field called Last EBR Date and fill it with the date when a milestone is created. Following are the two main steps in this process:
- Provide permissions to ID and Date objects.
- Configure a rule to map the Milestone Created Date to Date field.
This tutorial also describes how to update an Executive Business Review (EBR) date with a Milestone date. Perform the following steps to update an EBR date:
- Give permissions to Date object
- Create a Rule with Milestone Date
- Configure Rule by using Advanced Logic (Optional)
Note: For more information, see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Give permissions to Date object
In this procedure we are providing the Admin access to the ID and Date object, to use them in the Rules Engine. The ID object is used as an identifier for the Date object.
Note: You can access the Settings area only if the permission set called Gainsight Special is added to your user’s profile.
- Navigate to Administration > Rules Engine.
- Click Settings (gear icon).
- Select Permissions - Rules Load Actions.
4. Select Native Data.
5. Select Account and click + (Add).
6. Select Account object. The list of available fields appear.
7. In the Field Selection pane, select ID and EBR Date fields.
8. Click Add.
9. Click SAVE.
Create a rule with Milestone Date
- After providing permissions to Account ID and Date objects, create a rule with Milestone as the base object.
- Go to Administration > Rules Engine.
- Click + RULE.
- Enter information in the required fields and click NEXT. The Setup Rule screen appears.
- Select Milestone as the base object.
- Select Account, Milestone Create Date, and Milestone Name into show area.
Note: The Milestone Create Date field is visible only if JBCXM_GS_Permission set is applied to your user profile.
7. In the Filter section, set Milestone Create Date equals Rule Date.
- If the rule is scheduled to run daily, then the above condition is applicable.
- If the rule is scheduled to run weekly, then filter must be Milestone Create Date greater Subtract N days Rule Date = 7.
8. Click NEXT. The Setup Action screen appears.
9. Click + ACTION and select Load to SFDC Object as Action Type.
10. Map the following fields:
- Milestone Account (STRING) → ID (STRING)
- Milestone Created Date (DATE) → Last EBR Date (DATE)
11. Click SAVE and run the rule.
Gainsight recommends running the rule at the end of the day.
Configure rule using Advanced Logic
If you have multiple milestone dates, you can use the Filters section while setting up a rule. Once the filters are configured, you can use the Advanced Logic section to apply logic to those filters.
Filter on Milestone Created Date:
- For instance, if you need to fetch only Opportunity Won, then you need to add an AND Filter: A AND B.
- If you need to fetch multiple milestone dates, then you can add OR Filter: A AND ( B or C).
- Here B, C are filters on Milestone Name.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Q - I want to be sure that the correct date is applied. One of the filters says Milestone Create Date = Rule Date. We have some milestones from the past year. I want to make sure the field is filled in with the correct EBR milestone date and not the date that the rule is running.
A - When you run the rule for historical data, rule date will change accordingly. For example, if the rule is scheduled to run daily and you run it for historical data for the past one month, then it will fire the rule 30 times. (Here RuleDate will be 1/M/Y, 2/M/Y, and so on, in that month). With the condition Milestone Created Date = RuleDate, for that run it will fetch all the milestones created on that day (that is nothing but RuleDate or Milestone Created Date). Even though you are running this rule today, RuleDate is not today for historical runs.
- If you want to fetch all the milestones for one year, then we do not recommend using the workflow described in this document (Milestone Created Date = RuleDate), as running rules multiple times may fetch all the milestones.
- It is suggested to edit the rule to fetch all the milestones created in a month. And run for historical runs for last year, this way the rule will run for 12 runs in a year.
- On completion of the rule run, change the rule to daily scenario (that means milestone created date = RuleDate) and schedule to run daily (time stamp end of the day).
Rule Configuration to fetch all the Milestones created in a month
A: Milestone Created Date greater or equal First Day of Current Month
B: Milestone create date less or equal Last Day of Current Month.
(A AND B) AND ( C OR D OR …)
Here C, D are filters on milestone names.
Schedule this rule:
- Choose Monthly
- On Day 1st of Every Month
- Start Date: Your Choice
- End Date: Today’s Date.
- Time Zone: Your Choice.
- Select for historical runs.
After the rule is scheduled, change filters to fetch milestones daily (Milestone created Date = RuleDate) and schedule to run daily.