Scheduling and Executing Rules
You have the option of scheduling the execution of an individual rule, or setting up a Rule Chain to handle a group of related rules with a shared schedule.
- Frequency: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly. Selecting each check box provides additional options to refine specific days/dates.
- Start Date: This will be the first day the rule runs.
- End Date: This will be the last day the rule runs (Optional).
- Preferred Start Time: This is in the time zone in your SFDC user settings.
- Time Zone: Allows selection of the current time zone or UTSC
- Send notification email: This will send emails On Success/Failures to additional specified email addresses.
- Run for historical periods: If start date provided is in the past, checking this option will run the rule from the selected start date to the present date. The number of runs is limited when the rules are run for a historical period. (see the following additional note)
Additional Note: Historical Periods
When the start date in this scheduler is set to a date in the past, it will run for the historic period, and load data.
Example: If you have the rule scheduled to run daily, then you can run it for the historical period of last 200 days. In the case of a weekly schedule, it will be for the last 200 weeks max.This basically helps prevent a huge number of rule runs being triggered by mistake, or when you do not realize how much time it is going to take for all the runs to complete. It puts all of the other rules in queue and delays other rule runs.
- Navigate to Rules Engine > RULES LIST tab.
- Click RUN NOW. The rule date will default to today's date
- Select the Test Run check box if you would like to receive an email with a summarized list of results.
- Select the Include Gainsight support check box if you want to send the execution results to Gainsight support. In addition, you can send rule execution details to the email IDs entered in Send a copy of Rule Result email to.
- Click RUN.
*Status: Identifies the status of the rule.
*Last Rule Updated By: identifies the last person to modify the rule
*Last Rule Updated Date: identifies when the rule was last modified
* Rule updates will be saved only if a user modifies the rule, or if the user uses the NEXT button to navigate through a rule. If a user navigates through a rule via the breadcrumb trail (tabs) along the top of the rule pages, the user’s action will not be registered as a rule update.
To see the full execution log, expand the rule details where you can see the Action, Status, and Comment columns.
When you click + icon beside View Logs (as shown in the image above), it shows the detailed information about the execution history of the specific rule.
- Each rule is limited to 200,000 records.
- Rule updates will be saved only if a user modifies the rule, or if the user uses the NEXT button to navigate through a rule. If a user navigates through a rule via the breadcrumb trail (tabs) along the top of the rule pages, the user’s action will not be registered as a rule update.
- Bionic Rule Preview displays basic details of tasks, including the link to download the final task output as csv.
If you face difficulty saving your rule's schedule, Ensure that there are no quotation marks in the rule's description field.