This article explains how to use and navigate within the rules engine List view, Timeline view, and Rule chain view.
Administration > Operations > Rules Engine
Navigate to Administration > Operations > Rules Engine.
Search in Rules Engine List View
The search bar at the top of the Rules Engine tab allows user to search for the name of a specific rule, instead of having to scroll and find a rule. If you search for a rule using the search field, the text typed in the search field persists even if you navigate to another rule and then come back to the Rules List page. This is true even when you switch between different tabs, such as Rule Chain and Timeline. However, the text entered in the search field is erased when you navigate away from the Rules Engine section.
To further refine searching, you may filter by:
- Rule name (default)
- Action type
- Created by
- Last Updated by
- Source Object
Rules Engine Settings
- Permissions - Rules Load Actions: previously took you to data load configurations
- OAuth User Info: shows the OAuth user currently authorized, and the date of authorization.
- Usage Configuration: shows the current setting of Time Granularity. Time granularity can be in months or weeks.
- Time Zone: an org wide setting that is used to determine the definition of day. You might have the user locale set as CST in your SFDC user profile but your company works out of EST. If no Time Zone is set the default will be PST.
Note: In order to access the Settings Gear in the Rules Engine, you need the Gainsight Special permission set. If you need access to the Rules Config (Permissions - Rules Load Actions), contact your Salesforce Admin and request the "Gainsight Special" permission set.
Rules Engine List View Features
In the Rules Engine tab you can:
- Filter by Active / Inactive Rules
- + Add New Rule
- Clone - cloning creates a copy of the rule in an inactive state
- Toggle an existing rule on/off
- Run Now
- Timeline view
- List view
- Rule chain view
- Rule Details view or Preview. Click on the Rule Name to see the Rule Details view.
- Import Rule Templates from Vault
The Timeline view in the rules engine provides a bird’s eye view of your rules engine schedule and current execution status. From this view, Admins can more easily identify rule failures and potential conflicts in the sequencing of rules. In addition, the Timeline view also displays rules that are part of a Rule Chain. Specifically, the timeline displays:
- Historical data of executed rules.
- Rules that are scheduled for execution in the future.
- Rules that are part of a Rule Chain.
Use the top arrow to see currently scheduled rules and the down arrow to view executed rules. The following image displays different icons that appear based on your rule execution status:
Click the rule name to see more details about the rule and to access View Logs.
Rule Chains are groups of related rules that have been chained together to execute one after another with a shared schedule. In the Rule Chain View, you can configure chains of rules, as well as view existing rule chains. Each rule chain is represented by a card (see image below). For more information, refer to Creating Rule Chain.
When you click on an existing rule name, you can see the rule's detail view. It displays information under RULE INFO, RULE SETUP, RULE ACTIONS, and EXECUTION HISTORY tabs.