This article will guide you through how to setup new Dashboards on the Gainsight home tab. Gainsight Home allows you to display custom home pages with different sets of reports for different functions. For directions on how to configure reports, refer to this article. A general overview of how end users will use dashboards is available here.
Create Home Page Dashboard
1. To create a new Dashboard, click Administration > Analytics > Dashboard Builder.
2. Click + Add New at the top right.
3. (Optional) Click Upload PPTX, to upload your corporate PowerPoint template. The PPT will be used if you choose to send dashboard reports via email to internal users. You can select an existing template from the Existing tab, or browse to a new template using the Upload tab. If you don’t upload your own file, a blank template will be used to generate the dashboard attachment. See Also: Prepare your Presentation File for Upload to Success Snapshots.
4. Type your dashboard name.
5. Click Save.
You can also edit an existing dashboard by clicking the Edit (pencil icon) to the left of the dashboard name.
Note: While Dashboards can be deleted from the Gainsight UI by clicking on the trash can icon to the left of the dashboard name, this is only a soft delete. The Dashboard will continue to exist in the backend of the Gainsight org until a hard delete is performed. To perform a hard delete, contact Gainsight support for assistance.
Activate Dashboard Permissions
Admins can configure individual dashboard permissions for users with the new Dashboard Permissions UI.
To enable Dashboard Permissions, navigate to Administration > UI Views > Dashboard Permissions > Configure; then select the Enable check box; click Save. Then to assign dashboard permissions to specific users, follow the steps below.
Assign Dashboard Permissions
By default, every Gainsight user can view all of the dashboards on Gainsight Home. However, Admins may enable/disable user’s access to individual dashboards using the Dashboard Permissions feature.
To configure user permissions for individual dashboards:
- Navigate to Administration > Dashboard Builder > Permissions.
- Under Dashboard Permissions, by default, the drop-down box is selected to Dashboards and a list of all the available dashboards are displayed.
Note: By default, every user has access to view all dashboards.
- Select the check box next to the dashboard for which you need to modify permissions.
Dashboard Permissions by Individual Dashboard
- Click View Permissions.
Note: Only users with the Gainsight license are visible in the Configure permissions window.
- Under Configure permissions, select the users for whom you want to grant access to this dashboard on the Gainsight tab.
- Click Save.
- (Optional) You can choose to assign dashboard permissions by User.
Dashboard Permissions by User
- For the desired user, click on the Dashboards link to display all the available dashboards.
Note: If you are unable to change the selection under View, it’s probably because dashboard permissions are not enabled for that particular dashboard.
- Select the Dashboard Name to which you want to grant the user access to.
- Click SAVE.
Permissions must be configured per user; there is no bulk upload option at this time.
Configuring dashboards involves adding containers, resizing containers, and associating either a UI View or reports with containers. The dashboard editor consists of two sections: the left pane lists all available UI Views and reports by subject area, and the right side represents the layout designer, including the containers and the report associated with each container.
Note: You can now add a maximum of 20 containers (ie. reports).
Add, Resize, Reposition, and Delete Containers
- To add a container, click the Add Container icon in the top right corner. Up to 10 containers can be added to a layout.
- Adjust the width and height of a container by dragging the container from the bottom left corner. Modify the position of a container by clicking anywhere on the container and dragging it.
- To delete a container, click the delete icon at the top right corner of a container.
Associate Reports with a Container
- To associate reports with a container, drag and drop a report name from the list of available UI views/reports (on the left) on to a container. After dragging a report to a container, the meta data about the associated report will be shown in the appropriate container.
If a UI View is dragged onto a container, an empty table representing the columns in the associated UI views will be shown on the container.
Global Filters for Dashboard
Admins can set up global dashboard filters for use on the Gainsight tab. In order to setup a dashboard level filter, every report in a dashboard must be built in Report Builder. These filters can be applied to one or more reports on a dashboard. The reports can be built on different objects, and the objects can originate from the same or different sources like SFDC and MDA. This functionality reduces the number of filters required on each report on a dashboard, which in-turn reduces the number of dashboards required for each team, member, or reason.For more information about Global Filters, see the Global Filter for Dashboards article.
Updating Report Filters on Existing Dashboard Reports
If you make changes to a report's filters and the report already exists in a dashboard, the filter changes will not automatically appear in the dashboard. This is due to 'User State Preservation,' which is designed to have multiple users have their own state of the filter.
Currently, the only way to update the individual report filters in the dashboard for everyone, is to remove the relevant report and its container from the dashboard, and then add it back to the dashboard.
Add Summary Widgets to your Dashboard
You can now add summary widgets to your dashboard at Administration > Dashboard Builder. This widget can contain only a report of the Widget visualization type. For more information, refer to Configuring Summary Widget.
Organize Dashboards into Folders
Dashboards can be organized into folders on the Dashboard Builder page. By default, folders are sorted alphabetically at each level and existing dashboards are stored in the Uncategorized folder. To organize dashboards into folders, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to Administration > Analytics > Dashboard Builder.
- Click the + icon on the left menu. The Add Folder pane is displayed.
- Select the folder structure where you want the new folder to be added.
Note: All new folders will reside inside Home, which is the root folder.
- Enter a name in the Folder Name field.
- Click ADD. The required folder is added.
- To edit the name of a folder, click the edit icon after selecting the folder.
- To delete a folder, click the delete icon after selecting the folder.
Note: If the folder contains a subfolder or dashboard inside it, the system displays a message specifying that the folder cannot be deleted.
You can perform the following actions once the folders are created:
- Move a dashboard into a folder (drag and drop, or use the MOVE TO menu).
- Drag and drop a folder into another folder.
- Mark individual dashboards as Favorites at the user level.
- Create a dashboard and add it to a specific folder.
Note: All Dashboards displays the total number of dashboards available under different folders, and My Dashboards displays the dashboards that you have created.
You can also search for existing dashboards by typing in the search pane.
You can search for dashboards by Dashboard Name, Created By and Last Modified By.
How to Email Dashboards to SFDC Users
If you check your Gainsight dashboard(s) frequently, or if you want to send the dashboard to your colleagues and managers, we recommend using Gainsight’s Email Dashboard functionality. This functionality helps you send a dashboard as a PowerPoint presentation, attached in an email, on a specific schedule. (End users can also send internal Gainsight users dashboards via email from the Gainsight Home tab. See these instructions.)
To email dashboards to SFDC users:
1. Go to Administration > Dashboards.
2. (Optional) Click Upload pptx, to upload your corporate PowerPoint template. You can select an existing template from the Existing tab, or browse to a new template using the Upload tab. If you don’t upload your own file, a blank template will be used to generate the dashboard attachment. You can only use one PPT template at a time for emailing dashboards. For instructions on how to format your corporate template, see this article.
- When sending dashboards via email, packed bubble reports and the Scorecard UI View are not currently supported.
- To view the dashboard email schedule, or to see if a dashboard contains a schedule, you must click the email icon for the individual dashboards/layouts.
- Dashboards with filters for the CSM or current user (for example) will not automatically send only the current user's data.
3. Click Edit (pencil icon) on the relevant dashboard; then click the Email Settings icon.
4. In the Email Settings window, enter the following details:
- Add Recipient: The email address(es) of the email recipients. Recipients must be SFDC users.
- Email Subject (required): The subject of the email.
- Email Body (required): The body of the email.
5. Click Configure Schedule, or Send Now, or Send Test Email. Use Send Test Email to preview the Email Dashboard. The test email will send to the user who is logged in.
6. Configure Schedule: select the time, frequency, and duration for sending the dashboard via email.
7. Click Save or Send Test Email.
The schedule gets saved and triggers at the appropriate time. Recipients receive the desired dashboard attached as a PowerPoint presentation in an email. Each report appears on a separate slide, except for tables which may span multiple slides.
How to Delete a Recipient from a Dashboard Email Schedule
To remove one or more recipients from the Dashboard email schedule, use the X next to their email address, and click Save. At least one recipient must be included in order to maintain a schedule.
How to Delete a Dashboard Email Schedule
To delete the schedule completely, click Delete Schedule, at the bottom of the Email Dashboard Settings window. A confirmation message will display.