Gainsight offers a new tool to migrate your Custom Object's schema, Reports (SFDC and MDA), Rules (SFDC and MDA), and Playbook assets from a source org to a target org. For example, if you have built and tested rules in your sandbox org, you may want to migrate them to your production org. This feature saves Admins valuable time and is enabled within your org by default.
In order to start migration, oAuth user of source and target org must have Gainsight Administration (Gainsight_Admin) permission set.
Procedure to migrate assets
To migrate assets from a source org to a target org:
- Navigate to Administration > Migration.
- Click + MIGRATION.
- Under Authenticate, enter the details of the target org:
- Username: The username of the target org.
- Password: The password of the target org.
- Security Token: The security token of the target org.
- Organization Type: Select Production or Sandbox based on your requirement.
- Click AUTHENTICATE TARGET ORG. The MDA Schema screen appears. While migrating assets to a target org, you can also migrate the schema of custom objects or fields in an object. Alternatively, you can skip the schema migration step using SKIP & NEXT button.
- In the MDA Schema screen, select a collection type. The list of custom object's schema appear in the left-pane.
- In the Select a target object list, select an object to which you intend to migrate the schema. Once you select the target object, the list of Source Fields and Target Fields appear in the page.
- Fields of the same datatype will be matched automatically.
- If any field is unmapped, you can either insert the schema as a new row or replace the existing schema. Select an option from the drop-down in this case.
Note: Formula fields have to be mapped manually if the mapping did not happen automatically. If the formula field has any dependent fields, the dependent fields also have to be mapped manually.
- Click NEXT. The Meta Data Selection & Mapping screen appears. Metadata related to Reports, Playbooks, and Rules is displayed in this screen.
- In the Meta data Selection & Mapping screen, select Account or Relationship Type from the drop-down. Once you select an option, the metadata associated with the playbooks or rules appear.
- To start mapping the fields, select a metadata item from the left pane. The source and target values appear.
- After selecting an item, you can update/replace the metadata of the target org in this screen. You can perform either of the following actions:
- If values are equal: If the metadata values of the source org and target org are equal, the values will be mapped automatically. In this case, you can also update the metadata of fields associated with the target value.
- If values are not equal(Insert new record): If the metadata values of the source org and target org are not equal, you can either insert the source value as a new record in target org or replace the existing value (using Insert as New option under the Target Value column).
- If values are not equal(replace existing record): If you want to replace the target value, select the target value from the drop-down. While replacing the target value you can also replace the metadata of associated fields. Select the check box under UPDATE ASSOCIATED FIELDS column.
- After updating/replacing the metadata, click NEXT. The Choose Assets screen appears.
- In the Choose Assets screen, select Playbook or Rules from the list. The assets related to playbooks/rules appear.
- Select the required assets (Reports, Playbooks, or R ules) and click NEXT. The Migrate screen appears.
- In the Migrate screen, provide a job name and review the list of configurations and assets.
- Click MIGRATE. The migration process starts, and once it’s completed you will receive an execution report via email.
- Click the job name to see the execution log and job status.
- (Optional) After the migration job is completed, you can download the execution log using the DOWNLOAD LOG button.
- Application settings and scorecard configuration objects are migrated to the target org by default.
- If a relationship type is not present in the target org and user wants to migrate it, then the source metadata needs to be inserted as a new record.
- Relationship types in the target org will be updated by default if source and target has at least one automapped record.
- Relationship types will be disabled in the Metadata selection & mapping screen, if the target org does not have the relationship configuration enabled.
- Scoring scheme is not updated in the target org after migration. For example, if the source org has the numeric scheme and the target org has the color scheme and migration occurs, then color scheme remains the same in the target org.
- Both account and relationship Playbooks can be migrated.
- Migration of playbooks with “task” type is supported. Email type task filtering is not supported. All email type tasks fail during migration.
- Only one migration job works at a time.
- We assume that the account level scorecard is not being used in the target org. If used, system removes all scores assigned to each account/customer.
- In rules, we support standard and custom SFDC objects. Also, we only support the following Action Types: Set Score, Load to Milestone, Load to Customer, Create CTA, and Load to Usage.
- Reports created on Data Spaces cannot be migrated.