Gainsight Connect is Gainsight’s partner ecosystem which imports customer data from SFDC into the Gainsight Matrix Data Architecture standard objects. MDA standard objects are Picklist, User, Company, Relationship Type, and Relationship. Gainsight Connect is a specially instrumented rule to import data from SFDC objects Account/Customer Info, Company, Relationship, Relationship Type, and User. This feature is enabled only when Gainsight Support creates MDA standard objects for your org. For more information on the Gainsight objects, refer to Gainsight Data Management.
Advantages of Gainsight Connect
- It can run once per hour which makes data more real time unlike Rules Engine, which can run one rule once a day. As a result, Gainsight Connect can keep the data loading object in sync with the SFDC object.
- Offers options to Import Now or Import From Date
- Data Import Lookup: supports Data Import Lookup during data acquisition
Gainsight Connect may take anywhere between several minutes and several hours to load data into MDA, based on the amount of data getting loaded from SFDC. The following table provides a few performance measurement examples to give you a sense of the expected time involved in completing the larger updates in your initial data loading.
|Object||No of Records||Time Taken|
|Relationship||5000||Less than a minute|
Import Data from SFDC to MDA Standard Objects
Enabling Gainsight Connect
- Navigate to Administration > Operations > Gainsight Connect.
- To enable Gainsight Connect, click the Gear icon and switch the GS Connect toggle On.
Note: By default, Gainsight Connect is not enabled. You should enable it when you log in for the first time. You can disable the toggle if you do not want to use Gainsight Connect. This is a global button and disabling this toggle will disable the entire GS Connect feature and not just the current project you are working on.
- Gainsight Connect screen has two options: Objects and Logs. Objects page shows the MDA standard objects into which the data can be imported. Import icon on any MDA standard object allows you to import data now or schedule it later. There are four MDA standard objects available out of the box in Gainsight. For more information on MDA standard objects, refer to Gainsight Data Management.
Logs page shows the actions performed on any MDA standard object. Following image shows the Gainsight Connect Logs screen.
Setup or Editing of an Object for Gainsight Connect
- Navigate to Administration > Operations > Gainsight Connect > Objects.
- Click the pencil (Edit) icon on any MDA standard object. Object setup screen appears.
The import field mapping is predefined for all of the standard fields. For example, when you select Company object to import data, it combines the data from the SFDC standard Object called Account and the Gainsight object called Customer Info. Gainsight Customer Info object contains information related to Gainsight customers only. Following image shows the field mappings in the Company object.
When you select the User object to import data, it combines all of the User level information such as CSM name, status and email id. User object will only import the data for users who have a Gainsight license. It does not automatically import all of the user information from the SFDC object. Following image shows the field mappings in the User object.
Gainsight recommends that you perform the field mappings shown above unless there is a very strong reason not to comply. For all of the other objects, there is a set of defined mappings that Gainsight will ship by default and ideally these mappings should be used as they are. After reviewing the standard field mappings shipped by Gainsight, Admins can add fields in GDM to customise the data capture. Mapping of the newly added custom fields can be defined in the Field mappings section.
- In the Field mapping section, Click +FIELD MAPPING to add more field mappings in the object.
- To remove the specific field mappings, select Source Fields to None. When you click Update, the specific field mapping will be removed from the list.
Derived field mappings
Gainsight Connect allows you to create Lookup mapping during data acquisition. This feature allows you to lookup to a standard object and match up to six columns to fetch Gainsight IDs (GSIDs) from the looked up object into GSID data type fields. The main purpose of this feature is to populate values in the GSID type fields from another object during the data import. This feature is also called Data Import Lookup. We can enable this by simply adding an import lookup if a data type has GSID. For more information, refer to Data Import Lookup.
- In the Derived field mappings section, click the Data Import Lookup icon. Data import lookup configuration dialog appears.
- Select Lookup in object (Example: User here) and target field as Company::CSM. Match by SFDC object Account::Owner Id with SFDC User Id in User object and Populate GSID. You can match a maximum of six fields to import correct GSID into the target field.
When Admins import data either manually or by scheduling, the data will be imported when the Lookup finds an accurate match.
- If a match is not found or if there are multiple matches, you can either reject/fail or accept one of the matches from the options listed. Click Apply.
Note: Whenever you change mapping or add new fields, navigate to the Scheduling Data Import section and set the schedule to Import From Date and provide the date from which data can be imported into the newly added fields.
Send Email Notification
- In the Send email notification section, enter:
- On Success: If a job has partial/full data import success, a success notification email is sent to the email ID entered here.
- On Failure: When all records fail to load, a failure notification email is sent to the email ID entered here.
Note: The email notifications are useful to keep track of success or any failure in data import and take appropriate actions.
Scheduling Data Import
Gainsight Connect allows data importing more frequently than Rules engine.
- In this section, you can schedule recurring data importing activity Daily, Weekly, or Monthly. When you select the DAILY option, you see the following fields on the Schedule section:
- Once: If selected, schedule everyday at a particular time.
- Repeat: If selected, schedule will be repeated. The minimum time interval between two executions is one hour.
- Select a Time: The time range in which schedules should run.
- When you select the WEEKLY or MONTHLY option, you can see similar fields on the Schedule section.
- When you complete the scheduling of an import successfully, click Update. Following success message appears on the screen.
- After import configuration is created, you can edit the configuration any time before data importing with pencil (edit) icon on the object.
- You can import data using Gainsight Connect using two options:
- Import Now: If you select this option, It imports data into the standard object since the last import time. In this option, all new records will be imported and the modified records (based on the last import data) will be updated.
- Import From Date: If you select this option, It imports data into standard object from the import date specified. This feature is particularly useful if an import task has failed and a record has not been imported. In such cases, you can select Import From Date and specify the date on which the import failed. However, there will not be any duplication of data as the import will be performed all over again. This option is also useful if a new field has been added and the customer requires the historical data relating to the newly added field. In such cases, after adding and mapping the new field, Admins can select Import From Date and specify the date from which the schedule began running. Users will have complete data including historical data of the newly added field.
When Import Now or Import From Date is selected, Gainsight Connect starts the process of importing data from SFDC into MDA Standard Objects. Objects are always imported in the following order:
- Relationship Type
MDA standard objects are linked by dependencies. As a result, if Admins select an object to import data, all objects that precede the selected object will automatically be imported to make sure the dependencies are maintained. For example, if Admins select Relationship Type to import data, Picklist, User, and Company objects will get imported as they precede Relationship Type object and contain dependencies.
- After you select either Import Now or Import From Date, click Import. If the GS Connect is disabled at the Global level, the following error message appears.
- To enable GS Connect, refer to Enabling Gainsight Connect.
- Click the LOGS tab. Logs screen with message Logs loaded successfully appears.
Logs screen shows information connected to the selected schedule, object name, user name, status info, and last run time. Successful activities are indicated in green, Orange indicates that the schedule is currently in progress, and a Red icon besides the Object indicates the activity has failed to run. You can sort the execution history of All Objects or a specific object with the Activity log drop down list.
If there are any failed records, Failed record count with a hyperlink appears. When you click the hyperlink, the error file will be downloaded. The error file contains the reasons for data import failure, which will enable you to fix the error and reschedule the import.