Dropdown list and multi select dropdown list are data types. They allow you to create a custom dropdown list or multi select dropdown list and sync data from SFDC to MDA standard/custom objects. Multi select dropdown list is used when a user wants to store multiple values for the same record, whereas dropdown list is used to store a single value for a record.
You can create custom categories of either dropdown list or multi select dropdown list and define items in each category. You can create custom fields in the standard and custom objects with datatype as Dropdown List, or multi select dropdown list, and select an associated category for mapping to this field.
By default, Gainsight ships Customer Stage and Customer Status dropdown list categories for standard and system fields of Company object and these cannot be editable.
Example of Drop down List
Your product is likely used by many companies that belong to various industries. To identify the industry of your customer, a field called 'Industry' of data type dropdown list can be created to use across Gainsight. The field has multiple industry options and allows you to select one. A particular company may belong to an industry: IT, Automobile, Aerospace, Software, Networking, etc.
Example of Multi Select Dropdown List
A field like Tags where a column might require multiple values from a specified list.
How to create a Custom Category
You can create a custom category of either dropdown list or multi select dropdown list. To create a custom category:
- Navigate to Administration > Data Management > Dropdown Lists.
- Click +CATEGORY. Create category dialog appears.
- Enter the Category Name and Description.
- Select the Variant either Single Select or Multi Select for the respective dropdown list. Click ADD.
How to create Items in a Category
- Click the Category Name and click +ITEM. Add new item dialog appears.
- Enter the following in the Add new item dialog:
- Name: Can contain upto 50 characters
- Short Name: Maximum 20 Characters are allowed.
- Active: Checkbox. If selected, the item is available for selection in other functionalities in Gainsight.
- Item color: Select a color. If a color is assigned to an item, the same is shown for the item in a report.
- Description: [Optional] Maximum 255 Characters are allowed.
- Click ADD. Select Add another to add an item and open new dialog to add another item.
- The items can be arranged in an order. You can Sort alphabetically or Rearrange the items with the SORT and REORDER buttons.
- When data is loaded into the custom field with data type dropdown list or multi select dropdown list through any of the ingest channels, it is restricted to load data into the items defined in the custom category.
- If the field associated with a custom category is used in any other functionality, these dependencies of the custom category are shown in the Dropdown list dependencies section.
How to Assign Default item(s) to a Category
You can assign one default item for a dropdown list and multiple items up to six can be assigned to a multi select dropdown list category. If a null value is ingested into the field through any data ingestion channel, the null value will be replaced with the assigned default value into the field. To assign a default value:
- For a dropdown list category, select an item from the Default Category as shown below:
- For a multi select dropdown list category, click + to add items defined in the category to set them as default. You can select one or multiple items up to six as default items.
- Click Done to save the selected default items.
How to create a field of Dropdown List or Multi Select Dropdown List
- Navigate to Administration > Data Management > [Select an object into which you want to create a custom field].
- Click Add Field. Add field dialog appears.
- Enter the following details:
- Display Name: The easily understandable display name
- Field Name: The system defined field name with a suffix of __gc
- Data type: Select either Dropdown list or Multi select dropdown list.
- Category: This shows the associated categories of dropdown list or multi select dropdown list. Select the appropriate category. This maps the category to the custom field.
- Click Add. Custom field of the type dropdown list or multi select dropdown list is created. For more information on creating a custom field, refer to Gainsight Data Management.
If you have questions or feedback about the feature explained in this article, please share them on community.gainsight.com.