Gainsight User is a standard object to store user information in Gainsight’s Matrix Data Architecture (MDA). A set of standard fields with predefined mappings are shipped by Gainsight in the GS User object. Customers can add custom fields, update the schema of custom fields, and implement Read and Join tasks (from Reporting, CoPilot, and Scorecards). Every user record in this object is assigned a GSID and it is referenced in the rest of the system. Example: CSM in Relationship/Company contains the GSID of the User, etc.
Note: Users in this object may or may not have Salesforce and/or Gainsight license but the pre-defined data in Gainsight can be shared with these users through the integrated features listed in this article.
Additional Resource: Bulk Load Contacts to GS Person for Sharing Success Plans & Dashboards
Admins can view the User object in Administration > Data Management as shown below:
Gainsight User enables users to:
- Perform actions from other functionalities in Gainsight directly on GS User object.
- Access Gainsight from outside of SFDC. Examples: see CTA related information and to perform some actions on CTAs, to see predefined C360/R360 layouts by non Gainsight / SFDC users.
Fields in Gainsight User
- Company ID: It is of datatype GSID. This has a lookup to Company object.
- Created Date: It is of datatype DateTime. Indicates when the record was created.
- Email: It is of datatype Email. Stores the Email address of the user.
- External ID: It is of datatype String. A unique account identifier in an external system. It identifies an account uniquely apart from Email and Name.
- First Name: It is of datatype String
- Gainsight License Enabled: It is of datatype Boolean (True/False). It indicates whether a Gainsight License is assigned to this SFDC User or not.
- GSID: GSID of a user record. For example: CSM in a Relationship or Company has a look up to this record in User object.
- Is Active: It is of datatype Boolean (True/False). It indicates whether a user is active in SFDC or not.
- Is Active User: It is of datatype Boolean (True/False). It indicates whether a user is enabled in Administration > User Management page or not.
- Last Name: It is of datatype String
- Modified Date: It is of datatype DateTime. Displays the date when the record was last modified.
- Name: It is of datatype String
- SFDC User Id: It is of datatype SFDC ID
- SFDC UserName: It is of datatype String. Stores the SFDC username of a user record.
- Manager: It is of data type GSID. This field helps Admins to create User - Manager hierarchies, ‘My team’, and ‘Portfolio view’ reports.
- System Type: It is of datatype Dropdown list to choose either Internal or External. A user is identified as an internal user when the user is part of your organisation. A user is identified as an external user when the user is part of your customer’s organisation. To enter external user information into User object, user’s organisation should have a record in the MDA object Company.
Admins can view the list of fields in User object in Administration > Data Management > [Click the object User] as shown below:
Channels to ingest data into Gainsight User
There are three channels to ingest data into the Gainsight User object as explained below:
Gainsight Connect is a data ingest channel to import data from the Salesforce User object to the Gainsight User object. For more information on how to use this connector, refer Gainsight Connect.
You can enter user records into the Gainsight User object in Administration > User Management page. You can ingest data by two methods: either Manually or through CSV File.
Manual Ingestion of User Information
To enter user records into the Gainsight User object:
- Navigate to Administration > User Management > USERS LIST.
- Click + USER and select MANUAL. Add User (MANUAL) screen appears.
- Enter the following information:
- First Name (Mandatory)
- Last Name: (Optional)
- Email: (Mandatory)
- User Type: Select either Internal or External
- Company: (Mandatory) This field is available only when you select user type as External. To enter a Company name, user’s organisation should have a record in the MDA object Company.
- Status (True/False): This makes a user active or inactive to be used by other functionalities in Gainsight.
- SFDC User Id: (Optional)
- SFDC UserName: (Optional)
- Click SAVE. A new user record is added to the USERS LIST as shown in the image below:
- You can perform the following action on the Users List page:
- Click Edit (pen) icon to edit the fields and update the user information.
- Click View icon to view the user information.
- Click Enable/Disable Status icon to change the status of a user to Active/Inactive. Active users can be selected in other functionalities (Sally and C360 Sharing) to view or access data in Gainsight. User status is shown in the first column as either Active or Inactive.
Ingestion of User Information through a CSV File
To enter user records into the Gainsight User object:
- Navigate to Administration > User Management > USERS LIST.
- Click + USER and select CSV. Add User (CSV) appears.
Upload CSV Section
- In the Upload CSV section, click Browse to select a source CSV file from the local machine and to upload. Select User Information.csv file to upload. Make sure that the CSV file has headers and is no more than 2 MB. The same CSV file headers are used for field mapping with User object fields in the Field Mapping Section.
- CSV Properties: Select appropriate CSV Properties. Recommended CSV properties:
- Character Encoding: UTF-8
- Quote Char: “ (Double Quote)
- Separator: , (Comma)
- Header Line: 1 (Mandatory)
- Escape Char: Backslash
- Multi select separator: Semicolon
- User Management page always supports the files which are encoded with UTF-8 only.
- User should use the same separator for field values in the job configuration which is used in the CSV file to upload. By default , (comma) is selected as the separator for field values but users can change it as required.
- Quote Character is used to import a value (along with special characters) specified in the Quotation while importing data. It is recommended to use the same Quote Character in the job configuration which is used in the CSV file to upload. By default, Double Quote is selected in the job configuration but users can change to Single Quote as required.
- Escape character is used to include special character in the value. By default, Backslash is used as Escape Character before special character in the value. It is recommended to use Backslash in CSV file to avoid any discrepancy in the data after loading.
- Multi select separator is a separator for multiple items in a multi select dropdown list field. Users should use the same separator in the job configuration which is used in the CSV file to upload. By default ; (Semicolon) is selected as the separator for the multi select dropdown list items but users can change it as required.
- Click SHOW MAPPING. Field Mapping section appears.
Field Mapping Section
- For Resolution Criteria, Click the + button to select the fields, Name and/or Email. Depending on the fields selected in the Resolution Criteria, system checks for any same field values in the CSV file and User object. If same records are found, they will be shown in Existing users in Review section.
- Select User Type either Internal or External to identify the user records as internal or external.
Note: A user is identified as an internal user when the user is part of your organisation. A user is identified as an external user when the user is part of your customer’s organisation.
- In the Mapping section, map Source Fields with Target Fields appropriately.
- In the Derived Mapping tab, click +FIELD MAPPINGS. Data import lookup configuration dialog appears. This is to lookup to the same or another standard object and match fields to fetch Gainsight ID (GSID) from the looked up object and populate it in the target field. Derived mappings can be performed only for target fields of GSID data type. There are two types of lookups: Direct and Self. Direct lookup enables admins to lookup to another MDA standard object and fetch GSID of a record from the lookup object. Self lookup enables admins to lookup to the same standard object and fetch GSID of the another record to the target field. For more information, refer Data Import Lookup.
Derived Mapping is mandatory to ingest external user records into the User object to retrieve Company ID from the MDA standard object Company using Direct import lookup. This is to lookup to the MDA standard object Company and match fields between CSV headers and the Company object to fetch Gainsight ID (GSID) from the Company object into Company ID field. Enter information in the Data import lookup configuration dialog as shown below:
- Lookup type: Select Direct
- Lookup in (object): Select object Company
- Select Target field: Select Company ID. Company ID value
- Match by: Company Name in the csv file with Name in Company object.
- Populate: Select GSID
- Select the appropriate options in When multiple match and When no match found.
- Click SHOW RESOLUTION. Review section appears.
- All new users are listed in the New users section. To ingest all new user records, click ADD ALL NEW USERS.
- To ingest the selected new user records, select the check boxes next to the name of the users and click ADD SELECTED NEW USERS. If there are many user records to ingest, Select all users in this page checkbox and deselect the records which are not required to be ingested.
Through Admin Configuration for Sally
Navigate to Administration > User Management > AVATARS > Avatar Type: Slack. Admins can now add new users from Slack into Gainsight User object directly while configuring the Sally access to new Gainsight users. For more information, refer Admin Configuration for Sally.
Integration of GS User with Other Features in Gainsight
Following features in Gainsight integrates with the GS User object and relies on the user information in the object:
- Shared 360
- Share Dashboards
- Share Success Plans
Sally is a Slack bot from Gainsight that helps Gainsight / non Gainsight / SFDC users to request information (like account summary, NPS survey, health score, CTAs assigned, and so on) and also update data (closing a CTA) in Gainsight. For more information on how to interact Sally from Slack, refer Using Gainsight Sally in Slack (End-user).
Admins can provide Sally access to the Slack users provided these users have records in the GS User object. Navigate to Administration > Users List > Avatars > [Avatar Type: Slack] > USERS IN GAINSIGHT. You can see the Slack users with records in the GS User object as shown below.
Admins can provide Sally access to these users. For more information on configuring Sally access to the users, refer Link to the article on Admin Configuration for Sally.
Note: To provide Sally access, it is not mandatory that the Slack users have Salesforce and/or Gainsight license.
Share 360 feature helps CSMs to share customer information (in read-only mode) with colleagues, non Gainsight / SFDC users, and SFDC contacts associated with the Account/Relationship. CSMs can share the C360 / R360 layouts with the non Gainsight / SFDC users those have their records in the User object. For more information on configuring 360 layouts, refer Configure Shared 360.
To share the C360 layouts with the end users:
- Navigate to Customers > [Click a Customer Name] > DETAIL. Click Share C360 in the menu. Share 360 dialog appears.
- Click SHARE. Email Layout dialog-box appears.
- To configure Email Layout, Enter a user’s Name or Email address in the Choose Users field and select a user from the available users. You can see the users in this field those have their records in the GS User object.
For more information on sharing the C360/R360 layouts, refer Shared 360 Overview (For CSMs).
Note: To view the shared 360 layouts, it is not mandatory for end users to have a Salesforce and/or Gainsight license.
This feature helps CSMs share a dashboard as a link via email with a user from the Gainsight Home tab. The dashboards can be shared with the users those have records in the Gainsight User object. For example, a CSM could share the Monthly Renewals dashboard with the CRO of the company, which is delivered as a link via email. For detailed information on this feature, refer Share Dashboards.
Share Success Plans
This feature helps CSMs share a Success Plan with internal users via email. The success plans can be shared with internal users those have records in the Gainsight User object. For detailed information on this feature, refer Share Success Plan.
If you have questions or feedback about Gainsight User object explained in this article, please share them on community.gainsight.com.