In the C360 and R360 Timeline View (Beta), users can log Activities, such as Updates, Calls, Meetings, and Emails, along with notes from their customer interactions. The Timeline view is automatically visible to users, but Admins can customize the layout for each of the activity types.
Beta status: The Timeline view feature was first introduced in the Fall of 2016. Gainsight fully intends to support the feature and expand its capabilities. We plan to remove the beta status once we have Reporting capabilities for Activities in late Spring 2017.
Important Known Issue 3/15/17: We have identified an issue while syncing Timeline activities in Salesforce. In some scenarios, duplicate records are getting created in SFDC. We disabled the capability to sync Timeline activities in Salesforce for now. The fix is expected in our late May 2017 release. Once the sync option is re-enabled, we will make sure to sync (insert/update) all historic activities in Salesforce.
- Weekly updates on the Customer’s status and recent events for high-touch customers.
- Significant email, call or meeting with the customer that should be recorded in the Customer’s history along with the corresponding notes and perspective.
- When ownership transitions occur or new owners are introduced, Timeline can provide an easily digestible history with rich context to get the new owner up-to-speed.
- When Executive Sponsors or Leaders meet with a customer, they can review the Timeline to understand the customer’s history and context.
- Meeting preparation: create a draft activity and add your meeting agenda. During the meeting, use that same list to guide the meeting and increase your note-taking efficiency. ("Log" the activity if you want colleagues to be able to see it prior to the meeting.)
- If your organization uses an external note taking solution, such as Evernote, the Timeline feature is a good alternative, since the info is visible to all GS users in the C360, can be synced automatically with SFDC, and is searchable.
- If your organization is already a heavy user of SFDC Activities, it’s easy to switch to the Timeline feature, and continue syncing activities to SFDC. (Note: the sync only works in one direction at this time; from Gainsight to SFDC.)
- If your organization does not use Chatter or other collaboration tools, the Timeline is a great way to provide visibility into customer activities across teams.
- For activities, the Activity MDA object is synced with the Task object (SFDC), if sync is enabled and configured
- Activities are stored in the MDA
- The Update activity type is intended for documenting ad hoc notes.
- Activity data is stored permanently, even though the feature is in Beta; however, individual activities can be deleted by users, and they will also be deleted from the backend.
- Currently, you cannot build reports on Activities in the Report Builder. Activities must be viewed in the C360, R360; or if you are syncing to SFDC, in the SFDC Activities section.
- Activities can not be created automatically via the Rules Engine.
- Users can’t add attachments to activities.
- No interaction with Chatter or Cockpit CTAs currently.
Configure Activity Types
To configure the activity type layouts:
- Navigate to Administration > Activities.
- Click + ACTIVITY TYPE. The Add Activity Type dialog appears. A maximum of 11 activity types can exist in the application. .
- In the Add Activity Type dialog, provide a name, icon, and add fields that are required while logging the activity. You can also add a custom field using + FIELD option.
- The activities created at the global level will be available for both Account and Relationships. The activities created at the local level (for a particular account or relationship) will be available for that specific account or relationship type context.
- Select Sync to Salesforce Activity box to sync the activity type data to the Salesforce task object. For more information on how the Sync works, see Activity Sync.
- After adding the required fields, click Save. The activity type is created.
Edit Activity Types
- Click the Pencil icon of the activity type that you want to configure.
- Under Selected fields, mandatory/standard fields from the Activity MDA object appear by default. However, if you want to add any custom fields, you can add those using + FIELD.
- Duration: allows user to select the meeting or call length in minutes.
- Internal Attendees: allows user to select any internal attendees for the activity.
- You can also modify the field labels. For example, in the Email Activity layout, you may want to change the label to Internal Recipients.
- External Attendees: allows user to select any external (customer) attendees for the activity.
- We are fetching only the profiles which have SFDC standard or Platform licenses.
- Note: open text area for user to enter notes about the activity with a limit of 32000 characters.
- Subject: allows user to enter the subject of the activity.
- Activity Date: the date on which the activity takes place.
- Optionally, you can select Sync to Salesforce Activity to sync the activity type to the SFDC Task object. In addition, you can also change the activity icon, if required.
- Automatic sync occurs every 5 hours when the total number of activities is at least 50; or when a maximum of 30 hours have passed.
- The Activity count includes Deleted, Updated, and newly created activities.
5. Click SAVE. The above mentioned procedure can be followed for configuring other activity types.
Add New Custom Fields to Activity Layout
To add a field:
- Click + FIELD.
- From the Select Field Type drop-down list, select the desired type.
- In Enter Label, enter the desired label for the field being created.
- Click SAVE.
The added field appears under Selected fields. You can click the Gear icon to change the display field label. In addition, you can click the X icon to remove the field from Selected fields.
Any custom field, if removed, appears under Available fields. You can drag-and-drop them as shown in the image below, when required.
Note: Only 15 fields can be added in Selected fields.
Configure Activity Sync
In Administration > Activities, you can add a custom activity type at the global or local levels. You can also sync the activity to the Salesforce task object. A task will be created in Salesforce for every activity logged in Gainsight, so that users who do not have access to Gainsight can view the activity details. While creating a task in Salesforce, information like status, priority, and other information can be configured in Activity Sync tab. Before the sync happens, in the Activity Sync tab, you can also configure the status and priority, and map fields from Gainsight to Salesforce. Timeline Activities may be synced with SFDC Activities. If you choose to sync activities, they will also appear on the SFDC Account page.
Note: Activity fields are stored in unexposed MDA tables. To delete these fields, contact email@example.com.
To configure activity sync:
- Navigate to Administration > Workflow > Activities > ACTIVITY SYNC.
- Under General Settings, select the appropriate value for Salesforce Status and Salesforce Priority, which are Salesforce standard fields.
Note: This is a mandatory selection. Sync and field mapping will not work unless these fields are assigned appropriate values.
- Under Field Mapping, fields from the Activity and Task object are mapped by default. In addition, if you want to add any custom field, use the + ADD FIELD button.