Gainsight enables customer success teams to launch automated emails based on customer attributes such as health score, product usage, survey results and lifecycle stage. Through automation, you can scale customer touches and engage with a growing list of customers often and effectively. Typically, the Gainsight Admin or someone in an Operations role will manage your CoPilot automated outreaches, including email template design, scheduling, and so on.
Some of the most common automated email use cases include:
- Welcome emails for new customers
- Product release notification and overview
- Quarterly NPS survey emails
- Send customers reports with key insights in a regularly scheduled email
- Reminders of upcoming Renewals or Quarterly Business Reviews
These email campaigns (or outreaches) are defined and owned by the Customer Success or Account Management teams, rather than marketing teams that rely on Marketing automation tools such as Marketo, Pardot or Eloqua.
The preferred option to send automated email in Gainsight is via CoPilot (which supports the above use cases).
The CoPilot tab is now available by default.
- Power Lists: create a list of contacts based on customer and contact criteria. These lists are dynamic and can be refreshed daily, or right before the outreach is sent.
- Email Templates: Gainsight offers an intuitive WYSIWIG editor to create HTML emails from scratch, or edit existing templates. You can also paste in HTML. Key features of email templates include:
- Tokens: You can avoid the hassle of manually writing in first names and other details for each customer. Use tokens while creating an email to pick the required values dynamically.
- Survey and Reports: Easily drag and drop Gainsight surveys and reports into the email template. Survey links are tokenized, so you can automatically associate responses to Survey Recipients or Salesforce Contacts. Reports are automatically filtered by account to ensure recipients only receive data for their company.
- Variants: Easily create and send multiple variations of an email within one Outreach to scale personalized customer communications and simplify reporting. See the article Create and Send Multi-Variant Emails for more information.
- Schedule Outreaches: You can schedule emails to contacts in a power list at a specific date and time, or on a recurring schedule. Currently, you cannot trigger outreaches; instead you can add a date field as a filter in the Power List and schedule a daily outreach when that date = today. If your Outreach has variants, you can schedule these to be sent at separate times.
- Analytics: Out-of-the-box, you get a graphical representation of the Outreach (emails) statistics sent to customers. The parameters for analyzing the emails sent are: Sent, Opened, Clicked, Bounced, Marked As Spam, and Unsubscribed.
Gainsight provides dozens of CoPilot email templates that are ready to import into your org. Templates are aligned to common business processes, and are stored in Gainsight's Vault. Admins can import templates and further customize them as needed. Click here to learn more about accessing Vault email templates. To view a complete list of all the assets available in Gainsight's Vault, click here.
Send Email via the Rules Engine
You can also send emails directly via the rules engine using the Send Email action (this option does not utilize CoPilot). However, CoPilot is specifically built for customer communication and is easier to configure for most use cases. The rules engine covers a broad array of uses, including sending emails, data movement and updating scores. We recommend that you use the rules engine to send email only for the following three use cases:
- You need to leverage Salesforce email templates instead of Gainsight’s email templates
- You want to send an email and initiate another action such as create a CTA
- You want to send an email campaign without the unsubscribe link (limited to 1000)
You also have the option to send survey emails from the distribute tab in Surveys instead of using Gainsight CoPilot. Use this option if you want to send a survey to a fixed list of contacts, versus a dynamic list based on criteria (e.g. all enterprise customers) that is refreshed daily. See send a survey to a fixed list of contacts for more information.
Email Assist Tasks (semi-automated email)
Gainsight also offers a semi-automated email feature called Email Assist, which is accessible to CSMs using Calls to action in the Cockpit. We recommend using Email Assist tasks when your CSMs need more control over the scheduling and contents of the email. Email Assist tasks utilize CoPilot email templates, but your CSM selects individual contacts to send the email to, and the email contents can be customized as needed. See Configure Email Tasks to Send from Cockpit for more info.