Admins can easily create and send multiple variations of an email within one Outreach to scale personalized customer communications and simplify reporting. You can also schedule these variants to be sent at different times based on specific criteria you’ve selected.
Previously, it was necessary to create a separate Power List and a separate Outreach whenever an email needed to vary based on customer segments such as industry, geography, or language.
In the example below, we’ll configure email variations based on different languages, since this is a common use case. We can also schedule our variations to be sent at different times based on the contacts’ time zones.
Create a Power List and Select a Customer Segment
When developing a Power List for a Multi-Variant Email, it is important to remember to include a field in the criteria that can appropriately match your customer segments with the email variations. This criteria or field will likely determine the object you choose to build this list off of.
In this example, we want to send an English version of our Outreach to our customers in the United States, as well as a Spanish version of our Outreach to our customers in Spain. With this in mind, we selected the Contact object because it contains the Country field. We can then use this field as criteria for each variant.
- Before building your Power List, consider which segments of your customers will require an email variant.
- Select a field that can be used to segment your customers effectively. Ideally, this should be a picklist field so you can use it to schedule the variants to be sent at different times.
- Select the object that contains this field in the Derive list of recipients from option. Create filters for the field that pull in the relevant customer segments.
- Add this field to the Select Fields section of the Power List as seen below.
For more information on how to build a Power List, see the article Create CoPilot Power Lists (aka, email contact list).
Create Variant Email Templates
For general information on how to create an email template, see the article Create CoPilot Email Templates.
- Create your default Email Template.
- To add your variant, click the +VARIANT button at the bottom-left of the email template screen.
You will have the option of selecting either an empty template, or a copy of one of the existing email variants. Select whichever option works best in your use case.
Note: It is a requirement that if the default variant has a survey, then every variant MUST include that survey either as a link or button. If not, this can adversely affect reporting.
Configure Email Outreach
For more general information on how to configure a CoPilot Outreach, see the article Create and Execute CoPilot Outreaches (aka, schedule emails).
- In the To field, select the Power List you created earlier. In the template field, select the Multi-Variant email template.
• Set the filter conditions for each variant by clicking the filter icon in the top-left of the variant’s layout. You will need to set the filter conditions for each variation you have selected. This will match the variant with the appropriate segment of customers you would like to send it to.
Note: When building a Multi Variant Email Outreach, a checkbox at the bottom of the Outreach page called “Send the default variant, in case of variant filter value is not matched,” is displayed.
When enabled, this option allows for the default variant to be sent to any customers in the Power List that do not meet the selected variant filter criteria. If this is not checked, then no Outreach will be sent to customers that do not meet any of the variant criteria.
- If you are not interested in scheduling your variants to be sent at different times, you can schedule them using the default method outlined here.
- To schedule your variants to be sent at different times, first select a Time Scheduler Field at the bottom of the Outreach page. This field will be used to determine which customer segments receive the Outreach during the scheduled delivery.
Note: Only picklist fields are supported in Time Scheduler Fields. This is why Gainsight recommends using a picklist field to determine segments of customers for each variant outreach, as the same field can then be used as the Time Scheduler.
- Proceed to schedule the outreach
- After selecting the date you would like to send the outreach, a pop up window displays options to schedule the delivery time for the default outreach, as well as a +TIME option.
• Click +TIME to schedule a separate delivery time for segments of customers defined by the Time Scheduler Field. You can add separate delivery times for each of your variants. In our example, our Spanish customers are in a different timezone from our US customers, and will likely be active at different times of the day.
Note: The scheduler will display time according to the org’s set timezone. You will not be able to schedule a delivery time earlier than the current time, and the earliest time configured will be considered the next scheduled run time for the outreach. You will receive the results email after the first scheduled delivery is completed.
Additional Example Uses
Run A/B testing on your customer communications by creating alternate versions of an email and comparing response results
Reduce the number of emails and campaigns by tailoring the message according to recipient or customer attribute for the same email content. For example, send a Product Announcement that has varying messages for each role within one outreach and analyze response rates within one report.