CoPilot includes a robust email template designer with a variety of tools for creating attractive and actionable communications. You can copy existing email templates into CoPilot, edit out-of-the-box templates from Gainsight's Vault, and create new ones in CoPilot.
Gainsight's Vault contains best practice templates for various asset types, including email templates. From CoPilot, click the import button (highlighted in red above) to preview and download templates into your own org. For more information on Gainsight Vault, see the article Import Email Templates.
1: Click the List View/Card View icon to change your view of the email template list.
2: Click the Vault icon to view email template assets in Vault.
Email templates are organized by themes/folders on the left. Click the theme name to reveal assets. After you download an email template (using the download button that is visible when you hover over the asset), the theme name will be appended to the email template. You can customize the template as needed.
CoPilot Email Designer
1. Navigate to Cockpit > CoPilot > Email Templates. A list of predefined email templates appears.
2. Hover your mouse over an existing template and click the pencil icon to edit it, or click +Template to create a new template.
3. Clicking +Template will take you directly to the template edit screen.
4. Enter text into the subject line and email body as appropriate. Note: if you copy and paste text from another source, the formatting will be removed.
Optional design tools:
- Hyperlinks: click the Hyperlink button to insert a link in the email body. Images can also be inserted into the body (or as an attachment) using an image file or web address. When inserting a link you can also enable link tracking by clicking the Enable Link Tracking checkbox. Link Tracking gives Gainsight the ability to track when users click links you send them and record this within CoPilot analytics. This feature lengthens the URL of the link, which can negatively impact email deliverability. For this reason, this feature is disabled by default.
- Buttons: click the Button icon to insert a button in the email body. Buttons are linked to web URLs and can be customized in the email designer. (see below)
- Image: The image icon allows you to add an image to the email template.
- Reports: insert up to 5 reports in an email template. See the article Configuring Reports to Send via CoPilot for more info.
- Tags (aka, Tokens): use the Tag button to select text in the email body to setup as a token. Token linking or mapping is performed during Outreach setup. Examples: select contact’s name and/or sender’s name to personalize the text when the email is sent. You can also setup Default Values for tokens by clicking the tagged text. (see below)
- Tag/Token Formatting: While creating your email template, add the token text to be displayed. Apply the desired formatting to the token text, and then convert it to a token and save the template.
- Survey: click Survey to select a Gainsight survey to insert with a link, button, or question (to be used as part of an in-line survey). You may include multiple links or buttons to the same Survey within an email template.
- Insert Code: click the Insert Code button to create an html template. You can also copy and paste an existing HTML email template here.
- Edit Code: The Edit Code icon helps you edit the html code in the body of an Email Template. This feature offers you the flexibility of modifying template designs easily.
- Attachments: click the paperclip icon to attach most popular file types as attachments to your emails. The cumulative size of your attachments and email template must not exceed 2 MB.
- Template Color: click the Template Color button (paint bucket) to modify the email foreground or background colors.
- Text Formatting: click the Tx button to clear the text formatting.
- Canvas Width: To edit the Canvas Width, click the double-sided arrow. The default is 600 pixels. By default, the email template layout is set to Responsive. With the As Is option, the email layout will appear similar to the one you design in Email Templates, and is recommended for Campaign emails. The Responsive email layout will realign itself as per the recipient’s device layout screen, and is recommended for personalized emails.
5. Optional: Create variations of the email template for personalized communications and to simplify reporting. For more information on how to create variants, see the article Create and Send Multi-Variant Emails.
6. Optional: Send a test email of the template to yourself to confirm the appearance of the layout. You can initiate this test by clicking on the “Send Test” button in the top-right corner of the template configuration page.
7. Click Save (or Save as, if you are modifying an existing template).
- If you are unable to create or edit Email Templates, you may not have the correct CoPilot permissions. For more information on these permissions, refer to Enable CoPilot & Edit Permissions.
- For information on the differences between Email Templates 1.0 and Email Templates 2.0 refer to Email Templates 2.0 FAQ.
Click the Button icon to insert a button into your email template.
- Text: this is the text that displays on the button
- Link: enter the url to link to the button
- Token: Use this token to create parameterized URLs. For more information see the article CoPilot Tutorial: Creating Parameterized Links/URLs in Email Templates.
- Enable Link Tracking: Clicking this checkbox allows Gainsight to track when users click the button and navigate to the associated link and records this information within CoPilot Analytics. This feature lengthens the URL of the link, which can negatively impact email deliverability. For this reason, this feature is disabled by default.
- Width & Height: select the width and height of the button in pixels
- Button Code: enter a designation you would like to use for this button for click tracking purposes
Click Submit to preview and place the button in the email template.
- Color and Alignment: To change the color and alignment of a button, it must first be added to the Email Template by clicking the Submit option. After the button has been created, drag your cursor over the button in the email body to highlight it. You can then use the Text Color and Alignment icons to edit the button's appearance.
You can use a link or button added to an email template to send Shared C60 Layouts through Advanced Outreach emails. To learn more about this feature, refer to Send Shared 360 Layouts through Advanced Outreaches.
Edit Token Properties (Tags)
- Display label: the placeholder text or label for the tokenized field
- Value Type: select Text, Date, or Number (supported formats listed below)
- Default Value: enter text to be inserted in cases where the token value is missing (Example: for a first name field that is blank, the default could be "customer")
Supported Number and Date Formats for Tokens
To send operational emails without the Manage your subscription preference settings link in the footer:
In the Email Template > click Settings gear > [select the Mark this as operational email check box]
Contacts who have unsubscribed to regular emails from CoPilot will also receive the operational emails. For operational emails, the Power List size must not exceed 5,000 contacts.
Note: You should only use this option when you are sending operational or transactional emails such as reminders for an upcoming renewal, or welcoming a new customer. For more information on what constitutes an operational email, refer to Operational Email Guidelines.
Manage Subscriptions Link
At the bottom of the email template, the Manage your subscription preferences link appears.
Configure Opt-Out Settings
Admins can configure your company logo, opt out categories, and Caption on the email subscription page.
- Navigate to Administration > Email Configuration > Opt-Out Settings.
- Select a language. For more information about adding languages, refer to Operational Emails and Email Opt-out Policy
- (optional) Edit the opt out category names and/or modify their visibility on the unsubscribe page.
- Update the Caption in the text box below your company logo.
- Click Change Logo; then browse to select the appropriate image. (2 MB max)
- Click Submit.
Note: The subscription link will not work in test/preview emails.
The above is how the subscription page looks when your customer clicks the "Manage your subscription here" link in the received email. The customer can select the appropriate checkboxes; then click SUBMIT to manage email subscriptions.
- Tokens added on the template are just placeholders; actual fields for the tokens are mapped when you set up the Outreach.
- Use the arrow under the tri-dot in the email designer to select “As is” for the Email Layout. It will maintain the integrity of your template, especially if you are using a complex format.