With the new Email Assist feature, CSMs can send emails directly to contacts from Cockpit. For example, a CSM might want to send an email directly from Cockpit when they need to reach out to a customer to determine a suitable time to conduct an EBR; or to gather more details about a negative response to an NPS Survey.
A new CTA Task Type called Email Task is available for inclusion in Playbooks. Admins can create Email Tasks in Playbooks and associate them with a CoPilot email template. Once the Playbook is applied to a CTA (via a Rule or manually in Cockpit), the Email Task will be visible to the CSM, and the email template can be customized and sent to contacts of their choosing.
In the Cockpit List View, Cockpit Email Tasks display an email icon next to the number of Tasks. When users click the Task name, the Task Details pane opens on the right with a Approve & Send Email option at the bottom.
Note: Only the owners of Email Assist Tasks can send the emails.
- Click the Task name and then click the Approve & Send Email button to view the email template.
2. In the Edit Email screen, users can select contacts or manually enter their addresses in the ‘To’ (limit one contact) and ‘CC’ fields (one or more contacts). Currently, there is no limit on the total number of recipients. Note: If you manually enter an email address for a recipient who is not in your SFDC contacts, you will need to manually update token placeholders for fields like Contact First or Full Name.
3. (Optional) Users can enter or modify the email template’s subject and body. You may delete a token placeholder if necessary and proceed with sending.
4. (Optional) Users can add attachments, insert images and hyperlinks, and use the other formatting tools in the email designer. The cumulative size of your attachments and email template must not exceed 10 MB.
5. If you are not ready to send the email, click Save As Draft. Otherwise, click Preview & Send Email to see how the email will look to recipients.
6. In the Preview screen, click Send to send the email. You can also send a Test Email (sends to the currently logged in user), or go back and Edit the email further.
- After you Send the email, the Email Task will automatically update to a closed status.
- The email appears to be From the currently logged in user.
View Email Open Stats
In the Task Detail View, users can view various statistics about the email:
Click Preview to see the contents of the email.
If your Admin configures reports on the Email Logs object and displays them in dashboards or in a C360 section, you'll be able to view open/click/view stats for your email. However, Email Tasks are not available in the out-of-the-box CoPilot Analytics.
Limitations to Tracking Email Opens
Tracking whether the email was opened by the recipient may not work if it has been purposefully blocked by the customer's email client security settings.
For Email Assist tasks, we track open statistics by using a small invisible image attached to each email. When that image is loaded, it sends info back to the Gainsight logs to say that the email was opened. This tracking method is fairly standard among email providers.
With Email Assist, we have seen that sometimes the tracking image is blocked when the email is received. Unless the user clicks "Show all images" in the email, we cannot track whether or not the email was opened. This is a common limitation that all email service providers encounter.
In CoPilot emails, the tracking link itself is embedded in the URL, so this is not an issue.
On a related note, if the contact in 'To' forwards an email to 10 other contacts, then those 10 emails will be tracked against her name. The open rate count will be added against the 'To' ID when the forwarded email is opened.
Sync to Salesforce
As with other Cockpit Tasks, Email Tasks can also be synced to Salesforce, by clicking the sync icon:
The sync displays closed email tasks in the SF Activity History. The activity will only be tied to the contact in the email “To” field, not the contacts in the email “CC” field.
Note: Attachments to emails are not synced to Salesforce.
Managing Email Responses
If a recipient responds to your email, the response will go directly to your email inbox. There is currently no way to respond to them via the Email Task. If you wish to receive a copy of the email in your own inbox, enter your email address in the CC line.
- When copying/pasting into an email, highlight the font & re-size to ensure best results
- CC yourself to get a copy of the email in your personal email (you can also ask your Admin to add an email address to Admin > Email Configuration > Compliance to receive BCC's of all Cockpit emails)
- Type an email signature if you’re interacting with someone that you don’t very often (custom signatures are not possible currently)
- Only Task owners can send email tasks, but you can easily re-assign task owners as needed