With the new Email Assist feature, CSMs can send emails directly to contacts from Cockpit. For example, a CSM might want to send an email directly from Cockpit when they need to reach out to a customer to determine a suitable time to conduct an EBR; or to gather more details about a negative response to an NPS Survey. (More ideas for templates here.)
A new CTA Task Type called Email Task is available for inclusion in your Playbooks. During Playbook creation, you’ll select a CoPilot email template to associate with the email task. You’ll also have the opportunity to Map any Tokens in the email template. Once the Playbook is applied to a CTA (via a Rule or manually in Cockpit), the Email Task will be visible to the CSM, and the email template can be customized and sent to contacts of their choosing.
Emails are sent using the Gainsight Email Service (Sendgrid). The Email Task type is available to add in Account and Relationship Playbooks.
This article includes instructions for users who have access to create Playbooks and therefore Email Tasks (typically Admins, but depends on your org). For instructions for CSMs to send emails from Cockpit, refer to Send Email Tasks from Cockpit (aka, Email Assist).
Note: Currently, users can’t manually add Email Tasks to CTAs in Cockpit. This functionality is planned for a future release. However, they can manually add a Playbook containing an Email Task to their CTAs. Sending Gsnaps directly from Cockpit is not available at this time. Additionally, Email templates containing Survey links or Reports are not available to send via Cockpit.
Add an Email Task to a Playbook
- Navigate to Cockpit > Playbooks.
- Click +PLAYBOOK to create a new Playbook, or click the pencil icon next to an existing Playbook’s name to edit the Playbook.
- Click +TASK to add a task to the Playbook.
- In the Add Task pane, you’ll see the usual options, plus a new Type drop-down with two options available: Task and Email. Select Email to create an Email Task.
- After you select the Email Task Type, an additional drop-down is displayed that allows you to select an Email Template from CoPilot. Email Templates 1.0 and Email Templates 2.0 are available here to configure with an Email task. For instructions, refer to Create CoPilot Email Templates.
- Only 2.0 Co-Pilot Email templates with Survey links and Reports are available in Email task.
- In-line Survey Templates are not supported.
- After selecting the email template, click the Map Tokens icon to map any placeholders in the email template (similar to how you map tokens in email templates during CoPilot Outreach configuration).
- In the Add Mapping screen, hover by the placeholder text and click the mapping icon; then select the appropriate field for mapping. Then click MAP.
Note: Tokens can come from these source objects -- contact, account, customerinfo, cstask, cta and user. If you are using a Relationship Playbook, you can also pull in Relationship attributes. Tokens will be replaced dynamically when the end user selects a user in the To field, and sends the email. If a token is null, the end user will have the option of deleting it and replacing with plain text.
- (Optional) Click the icon highlighted in the below image to import latest content from Email Templates, and to reset existing token mappings.
Note: If you click the icon highlighted in the image below, you must configure the token mappings again.
- Back in the Task Edit pane, finish making your selections (Due Date, Priority, etc.), and click SAVE.
The Playbook is available for use with Rules that generate CTAs, as well as users can apply the Playbook manually to CTAs in Cockpit.
BCC the Admin
Administrators can add their email address (or any email address) to the BCC of all emails sent from Cockpit. To set this up, navigate to Administration > Email Configuration > Compliance. Enter the email address and click Save.
Reporting on Email Tasks
Email Tasks are not included in out-of-the-box CoPilot Analytics. However, you can build a report on the Email Logs object and display it on the Gainsight Home page or in a C360 section, if you would like users to be able to view open/click/view stats on their emails. The email engagement data is only available on the Email Logs object.
For Cockpit Email Assist open rates, use EmailLog Object and filter use case = Cockpit. In Email Logs, we have a field called Batch ID which has the ID of the CSTask when the email is sent from Cockpit. The "Email Opens" data that's visible in the task detail view comes from the Batch ID. Open count is the number of times the email has been opened and this includes stats for the recipient in the "To" field.
To track Email Assist usage by team member, use CSTask Object, Filter type name = email and use the IsEmailSent field on CSTask object.
Limitation to Tracking Email Opens
Tracking whether the email was opened by the recipient may not work if it has been purposefully blocked by the customer's email client security settings.
For Email Assist tasks, we track open statistics by using a small invisible image attached to each email. When that image is loaded, it sends info back to the Gainsight logs to say that the email was opened. This tracking method is fairly standard among email providers.
With Email Assist, we have seen that sometimes the tracking image is blocked when the email is received. Unless the user clicks "Show all images" in the email, we cannot track whether or not the email was opened. This is a common limitation that all email service providers encounter.
In CoPilot emails, the tracking link itself is embedded in the URL, so this is not an issue.
On a related note, if the contact in 'To' forwards an email to 10 other contacts, then those 10 emails will be tracked against her name. The open rate count will be added against the 'To' ID when the forwarded email is opened.
Here are some additional ideas for email templates you could setup in CoPilot for use with Cockpit Email Tasks:
- NPS Followups (promoter, passive, detractor)
- Customer Anniversary CTAs
- Reference Request Emails
- Usage Drops
- Support Risks
- CSM Transitions
- New Feature Explanations
- Customer Escalations
- Scheduling Meetings
- Helpful/Recommended Resources
- Training/Webinar Invitation
Playbook with Most Common Email Templates
Although end users can't manually create an Email Task from Cockpit, you could create a Playbook containing your top 5 email templates as tasks, and allow end users to apply the Playbook to a CTA in Cockpit. In this scenario, most likely your end user created a CTA manually, and the primary task is to send an email, so they just need a Playbook containing the most common email templates. Then, they can delete any of the unnecessary email templates/tasks from the CTA.
Other Use Cases & Recommendations
if you have a team of people managing the same account, then the CTA owner could be different from the Email task owner. In this case, we recommend using CSTask > Owner Name in the email signature section, instead of CSM Name. This way, the name of whoever is sending the email displays in the signature.
if you’re using Email tasks to send internal emails, then in the body of the email, we recommend using the token User > First Name, instead of Contact > First Name.
- Be sure to map tokens in your email templates, because end users don't have the ability to do so in the Email Task
- If you make changes to an Email Template that's linked to an Email Assist task, be sure to go back to the Playbook, and refresh the template and map the tokens again (existing CTAs with the Playbook will not automatically update, but end users can delete the playbook and re-apply it to get the updated version)
- Auto-populate pre-defined customer data points to reduce CSM data hunting (for example, renewal date)
- Insert a generic signature as appropriate since customized signatures are not available
- For complex organizations, consider an “Email Templates Team 1”, “Email Templates Team 2”, etc.
- Include multiple Email Assist tasks in a single playbook to provide CSM's options
- Use a specific naming convention for Email Assist CoPilot templates for ease of searching
- Add a section to C360 or Gainsight Dashboards for Email Assist Open info
- Consider delegating Email Assist to a Power User on your CSM Team -- CoPilot email template and Playbook create/edit permissions
- Import CoPilot Email Templates from Vault