This article explains how to trigger a Guide engagement by using a Badge icon.
A badge is an icon that can be used as a trigger method for a Guide engagement. You can link the badge icon to any element on your application. You can select to trigger the guide engagement either through a click or hover on the badge icon. You can also add some tooltip content to the Badge icon. You can customize the badge icon and the associated tooltip content either from the PX UI or from your app.
Differences Between Badge and Hotspot
The differences between a Hotspot Step and a Badge icon are as follows.
|Hotspot can be used multiple times in a Guide engagement.||Badge icon can be used only once at the beginning of the Guide engagement.|
|Hotspot is considered to be a step in the Guide engagement.||Badge icon is not considered to be a step in the Guide engagement.|
Use Cases for Badge Icon
- You have a setting option which once enabled, cannot be disabled. You wish to inform users about this setting. You can use a badge icon and have a tooltip text associated with it, instead of creating a Hotspot step and a tooltip step separately.
- You wish to create a Walkthrough guide of a new feature in your product. You can use the badge icon as the trigger method for your walkthrough guide.
Select Badge Icon as Trigger Method
To select the badge icon as the trigger method, execute the following steps.
- Navigate to Engagements.
- Click Create.
- Select the Guide icon and click Create.
- Select Badge from the Triggered by drop-down menu.
- (Optional) Clear the Use Badge Tooltip check box on the Editor section, if you do not wish to include any tooltip text with the badge icon.
IMPORTANT: If your Guide engagement does not have any steps and only has the badge icon, then it's mandatory for you to include tooltip text with the badge icon.
Configure Badge Icon and Tooltip
This section describes the various configurations available for a Badge icon and Tooltip text. You can apply the configurations in PX or directly from your app. This section displays how to apply the configurations from the app.
To configure the Badge icon:
- Click Edit Guide In-App, enter your application URL and click navigate to your app.
- Link the Badge icon to any element of your application.
- Click the edit icon.
- In the Icon Settings section configure the badge icon, background color, icon color, and so on.
- Select the Use Image check box to use an out of the box image as your badge icon.
- Enter the image URL in the Image Url field.
- Select either Click or Hover as the trigger method for the Badge icon. If you select Click, the tooltip text is displayed only when the user clicks the badge icon (or the guide engagement is triggered only upon clicking the badge icon). If you select Hover, the tooltip text is displayed when the user hovers the mouse on the badge icon (or the guide engagement is triggered only upon hovering the badge icon).
- Select the position of the icon, as required.
- Click the Tooltip settings tab.
- Click Apply.
- Select the tooltip text to use text editors. In the tooltip area, you can also include, images, videos, and files.
- Click Save.
- You can perform all these configurations even from the PX app.
Badge Qualification Scope
The Qualification scope describes how many times the badge icon must be displayed. You cannot configure the Qualification scope from your app. The qualification scope can be configured only from PX. When you select the trigger method of a Guide engagement to be Badge, the Guide Qualification scope is disabled and only Badge qualification scope exists.
Badge Qualification Scope has two options; Once and Always. If you select Once, the badge icon is displayed only once to the user. If you select Always, the badge icon is always displayed until the end of the Guide schedule.
For example, if you set the Guide schedule from 1 March 2020 to 31 March 2020, and select the Badge Qualification scope to be displayed Once, the badge displays only once from 1 March 2020 to 31 March 2020. After this, the Badge is never displayed even if the guide schedule is active.
If you set the Guide schedule from 1 March 2020 to 31 March 2020, and select the Badge Qualification scope to be displayed Always, the badge icon is always displayed from 1 March 2020 to 31 March 2020.