This article explains how to configure segments to create different audience/user groups based on common attributes/characteristics.
Gainsight PX Segments are real-time rules that are evaluated with every user click on your application. This feature helps you configure reusable rules for engagements to create different audience/user groups based on common attributes/characteristics such as customer inferred data, custom fields, product data, and product behaviors. Segments can be used in multiple business actions such as engagements, NPS®, CES and Multi-Question surveys to target specific users of your product based on attribution or behavior.
IMPORTANT: A Segment is not a way to filter historical usage data, you can use audience filters to do that.
When you create a segment, it does not include any users though some of the users match the segment logic criteria. Gainsight PX assigns users to a segment as they continue to use the application that is tracked by PX. To view the segments to which a user is tagged, navigate to the user profile page in Audience Explorer. For more information on how to view the full user profile, refer to the Audience Explorer section in the Accounts and Audience Explorer article from the Additional Resources section.
Example Business Use Cases:
- Define a segment with URLs to avoid redefining URLs in each engagement. This approach is suitable when defining data constant values where you want to refer to a list of elements such as Account Names/IDs and URLs or define a subset of your customers based on their lifecycle stage or based on the URLs.
- Create a segment for 'Internal Users' or for 'Test Users' or customers who attended training on a certain date. This segment can be used to launch specific engagements.
- When you want to define common engagement triggering rules from a single rule set. Modifications to this rule set are applied to all the engagements that use this segment rule as reference.
- Use segment match as a behavioral step in the Funnel Analysis report. For example, signup is not considered as an event in PX, you can create a [user.sign-up - 1day] segment or a set of complex behavioral rules as a Funnel step.
This section explains the procedure to create segments.
To create a segment:
- Navigate to Segments and click the Create button on the upper right-hand corner.
- Enter a name for your segment.
- [Optional] Click the Description icon to add a description.
- Select a rule from the Rules list. For example, select Account and enter account name as Adobe, and user email ID as email@example.com.
- Click Save.
Also, you can use this Segment to target the Audience while creating engagements. For more information on how to select the audience while creating engagements, refer to Audience Selection (Engagements) article from the Additional Resources section.
Configure Segments using Rules
Rules allow you to filter users and these rules when combined together create useful segmentations. Segments can be used to identify various cohorts like admins, practitioners, and executives. In addition, they can be used to identify industries and verticals such as SMB, mid-market, enterprise, telecom, tech, etc.
For example: In the following screenshot, a Segment is created based on the user Admin role within Enterprise account plans.
When adding Rules to your segment, you can decide if the Rule Logic is “AND” or “OR”.
- AND Logic: All selected criteria must be true to trigger the segment.
- OR Logic: Any of the selected criteria must be true to trigger the segment.
In addition, you can have multiple filter criteria within a Rule.
To edit an existing segment:
- Click the Segments icon.
- Select the segment you wish to edit. Click the Edit icon.
Click the Delete icon to delete the segment.
For frequently asked questions, refer to the In-App Engagements FAQs article from the Additional Resources section.