Journey Orchestrator includes a robust email template designer with a variety of tools for creating attractive and actionable communications. You can copy existing email templates into Journey Orchestrator, edit out-of-the-box templates from Gainsight's Vault, and create new ones in Journey Orchestrator.
Email Template List View
The email template list view displays each template as a separate line item. Each entry displays the email template's name, number of variants, Version number, who last modified it, when it was last modified, and the number of outreaches using the template.
You can take the following actions from the list view:
Folders: Users can create folders on the Email Templates page to organize their templates. For more information on Folders in Email templates, refer to Folders in Email Templates section.
Move to: Users can move their templates to a particular folder by using this option.
- Search: Search for existing email templates. You can click the drop-down field to select one of the following search methods:
- Name: Search by entering the email template name.
- Created By: Filter the list to show only the templates created by the user you select from the drop-down.
- Type: Filter the list to show only the templates of the same type you selected from the drop-down. Template type is determined by the content of the template. Templates can have more than one type. You can select from the following template types:
- Standard Template: The default email template type. A template is considered standard unless it contains a survey link, button, or question.
- Survey Template: The email template contains a survey link, button, or question.
- Report Template: The email template contains a report placeholder.
- Layout Template: The email template contains a layout link or button.
- Version: Filter the list to show only 1.0 templates, 2.0 templates, or all email templates. For more information on email template versions, refer to Email Templates 2.0 FAQ.
- Entity Type: Filter the list to show only Account-based templates, Relationship-based templates, or User-based templates.
- Create: Click the +CREATE button to begin creating a new Email Template. For more information on creating templates, refer to Journey Orchestrator Email Designer.
Used In: Admins can view which Programs or Outreaches the email templates are used in.
To view the list of dependencies of a particular email template:
- Navigate to the Journey Orchestrator > Email Templates page.
- In the Used In column of the Email templates list panel, click on the number adjacent to a particular email template. The Dependencies screen of the selected email template appears.
The Admin can view a list of all the Programs and Outreaches, in which this particular Email Template is used, in the PROGRAMS and OUTREACHES tab respectively.
Note: Admins can either click on the particular Program or Outreach to navigate to the respective page, and also search for a Program or Outreach in the Search field.
- Click Close icon to close the dependencies screen.
Note: If the Email Template is not used in either Programs or Outreaches, that particular tab is not displayed in the Email Template Dependencies screen.
The following options are only visible when hovering on an existing email template:
- Information: Hover over this icon to display the template type and created date.
- Edit: Click this icon to open the Journey Orchestrator Email Designer and make changes to the template.
- Clone: Click this icon to create a clone or copy of the existing template.
- Delete: Click this icon to delete an existing template.
Folders in Email Templates
Users can create folders on the Email Templates page to organize their templates accordingly. All the folders are displayed in the left pane on the respective page. If you click any particular folder name, all the templates included in that folder are displayed in the right pane. Gainsight provides a default folder called Uncategorized where all of the existing Email Templates are stored. You cannot modify the name of this folder or delete it.
To create a new folder:
- Click the + icon.
- (Optional) Select the folder under which you want to nest this folder.
- In the Folder Name field, enter a name for the folder.
- Click ADD.
Move Email Templates to Folder
Once you create a folder, you can move the Email Templates created into the newly created folder.
Note: Single Email Template cannot be part of multiple folders.
To move the email templates to a folder:
- Select the check box for the required email template(s).
- From the MOVE TO dropdown list, select the required folder or drag and drop to a particular folder.
- Click OK.
You can delete a folder if it has no other sub folders under it or it does not contain any Email Templates. You cannot delete the Uncategorized folder.
To delete a folder:
- Select the required folder and click the delete icon.
- Click OK.
Folders for new Email Templates
The New Email Template page has a Folder dropdown list where you can select a folder for the new email template. By default, the Uncategorized folder is selected in the Folder dropdown list. If no folder is selected, the Email Template is moved to the Uncategorized folder.
Journey Orchestrator Email Designer
When you select to edit or create an email template, the email designer page opens automatically. On the designer page, you can enter text into the subject line and email body.
Note: If you copy and paste text from another source, the formatting will be removed.
- Template Name: Add the name of the email template
- Opt-Out Settings: Click to configure opt-out settings such as email type (operational or non-operational), opt-out categories, and opt-out page. For more information, refer to Opt-Out Settings.
- Note: Opt-Out settings must be configured to save the Email Template.
- Opt-Out Language: Click to select the language for opt-out messages. The list of languages will be pulled from Administration > Communications > Languages.
- Save Template: Click to save the email template.
- Send Test: Click to send a preview of the template to the email address of the logged in user.
- Reset: Click to remove any unsaved changes in the email template.
- Design Tools: You can apply a variety of optional design tools to your email template. For more information, refer to Email Template Design Tools.
- Email Template Subject: Add the subject line of the email template
- Email Template Body: Add content to the body of the email template
- Add Variant Template: Click to add a variant of the email template. For more information on multi-variant emails, refer to Create and Send Multi-Variant Emails.
- Opt-Out Message: Click to edit the text of the opt-out message automatically included in non-operational emails. For more information on opt-out messages, refer to Opt-Out Message.
Email Template Design Tools
You can apply the following optional design tools to your email template:
- Font: Click to select the font for any highlighted or newly written text.
- Text Size: Click to select the size of any highlighted or newly written text.
- Bold: Click to make any highlighted or newly written text bold.
- Italic: Click to make any highlighted or newly written text italicized.
- Underline: Click to make any highlighted or newly written text underlined.
- Text Color: Click to select the color for any highlighted or newly written text.
- Alignment: Click to select the alignment for any highlighted or newly written text.
- Bulleted/Numbered List: Click to format any highlighted or newly written text into a bulleted or numbered list.
- Indent/Outdent Text: Click to indent or outdent the line of text currently selected.
- Insert Link: Click the Hyperlink button to insert a link in the email body. Images can also be inserted into the body (or as an attachment) using an image file or web address. When inserting a link you can also enable link tracking by clicking the Enable Link Tracking checkbox. Link Tracking gives Gainsight the ability to track when users click links you send them and record this in Journey Orchestrator analytics. This feature lengthens the URL of the link, which can negatively impact email deliverability. For this reason, this feature is disabled by default.
- Resize Editor: Click to edit the Canvas Width of the email designer. The default is 600 pixels. By default, the email template layout is set to Responsive. With the As Is option, the email layout will appear similar to the one you design in Email Templates, and is recommended for Campaign emails. The Responsive email layout will realign itself according to the recipient’s device layout screen, and is recommended for personalized emails.
- Foreground/Background Color: Click to modify the email foreground or background colors.
- Add Attachment: Click the paperclip icon to attach most popular file types as attachments to your emails. The cumulative size of your attachments and email template must not exceed 2 MB. Files can also be attached inline within the body of the email.
- Insert Image: Add an image to the email template
- Insert HTML: Click the Insert HTML button to create an html template. You can also copy and paste an existing HTML email template here.
- Edit HTML: The Edit HTML icon helps you edit the html code in the body of an Email Template. This feature offers you the flexibility of modifying template designs easily. For more information, refer to HTML Editor.
- Remove Formatting: Click to clear the text formatting.
- Insert Token: Use the Token button to select text in the email body to setup as a token, or to add a token placeholder if no text is highlighted. Token linking or mapping is performed during Program setup. Examples: select contact’s name and/or sender’s name to personalize the text when the email is sent. You can also setup Default Values for tokens by clicking the tagged text. For more information, refer to Edit Token Properties.
- Insert Report: Insert up to 5 reports in an email template. For more information, refer to Configuring Reports to Send via Journey Orchestrator.
- Insert Button: Click the Button icon to insert a button in the email body. Buttons are linked to web URLs and can be customized in the email designer. For more information, refer to Insert Button.
- Insert Survey: Click Survey to select a Gainsight survey to insert with a link, button, or question (to be used as part of an in-line survey). You may include multiple links or buttons to the same Survey within an email template.
- Insert Layout: Click Layout to insert a Layout as a link or button.
Note: If you are unable to create or edit Email Templates, you may not have the correct Journey Orchestrator permissions. For more information on these permissions, refer to Enable Journey Orchestrator & Edit Permissions.
Click the Button icon to insert a button into your email template.
Click the Button icon to insert a button into your email template.
- Text: this is the text that displays on the button
- Link: enter the url to link to the button
- Token: Use this token to create parameterized URLs. For more information see the article Journey Orchestrator Tutorial: Creating Parameterized Links/URLs in Email Templates.
- Enable Link Tracking: Clicking this checkbox allows Gainsight to track when users click the button and navigate to the associated link and records this information within Journey Orchestrator Analytics. This feature lengthens the URL of the link, which can negatively impact email deliverability. For this reason, this feature is disabled by default.
- Width & Height: select the width and height of the button in pixels
- Button Code: enter a designation you would like to use for this button for click tracking purposes
Click Submit to preview and place the button in the email template.
- Color and Alignment: To change the color and alignment of a button, it must first be added to the Email Template by clicking the Submit option. After the button has been created, drag your cursor over the button in the email body to highlight it. You can then use the Text Color and Alignment icons to edit the button's appearance.
You can use a link or button added to an email template to send Shared C360 Layouts through Program emails. To learn more about this feature, refer to Send Shared 360 Layouts through Programs.
Edit Token Properties (Tags)
After inserting a token, select it and click Edit to edit its properties.
- Display Name: the placeholder text or label for the tokenized field
- Value Type: select Text, Date, or Number (supported formats listed below)
- Default Value: enter text to be inserted in cases where the token value is missing (Example: for a first name field that is blank, the default could be "customer")
Supported Number and Date Formats for Tokens
When configuring email templates, users can auto-select text in the HTML editor based on text selected in the email template, search and replace text, and collapse style and image attributes within the HTML editor.
- Auto-Select HTML Text: After highlighting the text you would like to edit, click the edit HTML option to automatically navigate to that text in the HTML editor.
- Search and Replace Text: Within the email template HTML editor, press Ctrl-F to pull up the text search bar, enter the text you are searching for, and click the + icon to enter the text you would like to replace it with. You can select to replace either the highlighted text, or every instance of the text in the template.
- Collapse Style and Image Attributes: Within the email template HTML editor, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner. You can select Fold style/src to collapse all style and image attributes in the template’s HTML, and Unfold style/src to expand all style and image attributes. When the attributes are collapsed, you can click the purple collapse icon in the HTML to expand the individual element.
Admins have several configuration options to control the opt-out experience for any email recipient.
After clicking Opt-Out Settings in the email template designer, a slide-out view will open with opt-out configuration options:
- Email Type: Select if the email template is Non-operational or Operational. For more information on operational emails, refer to Operational Emails.
- Select Categories: Select Opt-Out Categories for your email template. You must select at least one category to save the email template. Opt-out categories are configured under the Email Preferences page. For more information on adding categories, refer to Email Opt-Out Configurations.
- Select Page: Select an Opt-Out Page for your email template. The pages available for this field are determined by the opt-out categories selected. If no category is selected, then no page will be available. You must select an opt-out page to save the email template. Opt-out pages are configured under the Email Preferences page. For more information on configuring opt-out pages, refer to Email Opt-Out Configurations.
Operational emails are intended for sharing important information specific to a customer or based on a specific customer's activity. For more information on when to mark an email as operational, refer to Operational Email Guidelines.
You can send operational emails without including an opt-out message with the Manage your subscription preference settings link in the footer. To mark an email as operational, navigate to Journey Orchestrator > Email Templates > [select an existing template to edit or create a new template] > Opt-Out Settings > [select the Operational option under Email Type] > [select SAVE].
Contacts who have unsubscribed to regular emails from Journey Orchestrator will receive operational emails regardless of the categories they have unsubscribed from. For operational emails, the Power List size must not exceed 5,000 contacts.
- You should only use this option when you are sending operational or transactional emails such as reminders for an upcoming renewal, or welcoming a new customer. For more information on what constitutes an operational email, refer to Operational Email Guidelines.
- You can schedule an Operational email any number of times in a day.
At the bottom of the email template, the opt-out message appears for all non-operational emails.
- Clicking the first link will automatically unsubscribe the user from all emails with the same category as the email they unsubscribed from.
- Clicking the second link will open the Manage Preferences page in a new tab. On this page recipients can select specific categories to opt-out from, and provide a reason for why they are opting out. You can select which page to display here under Opt-Out Settings. By default, the Manage Preferences page will display as the following:
For more information on how to send emails without the opt-out message, refer to Operational Emails.
- Tokens added on the template are just placeholders; actual fields for the tokens are mapped when you set up an Outreach or Program.
- Use the arrow under the tri-dot in the email designer to select “As is” for the Email Layout. It will maintain the integrity of your template, especially if you are using a complex format.
- You can view a report that displays performance stats of the Email Templates used within the Program module. To access the Email Template Performance Report, navigate to Journey Orchestrator > Program Analytics > Email Template Performance Report. For more information on Program Analytics, refer to Program Analytics: Reports Across Programs.