Gainsight is committed to delivering the best services to our customers and partners. Therefore, our policies are designed to be in accordance with international laws and regulations.
Email Opt-out Policy Overview
- Gainsight adheres to the Email Spam Laws of most countries. For more information, refer to Email Spam Legislation by Country.
- When an outreach (email communication) is sent, by default each email has a clearly identifiable unsubscribe link and Manage your subscription preference link at the bottom of the email. These links can be used by the recipient to opt out of future email communication. For more information about how to manage your email subscription preference, refer to the How to Opt-out from an Email Communication section.
- In an outreach, the Manage your subscription preferences link remains active permanently.
Note: When either link is clicked, the request is honored immediately. There is absolutely no waiting period to get unsubscribed.
- When a user unsubscribes, Gainsight does not ask the user for a password, or a fee, or to take a survey, or divert the user to other Web pages.
IMPORTANT: Gainsight ensures that the contact details of the unsubscribed user are not used for any other purposes such as adding contact details to another mailing list, sharing it internally, or sharing it with third-party services.
How to Opt-out from an Email Communication
To Opt-out (unsubscribe) from an email communication:
- Click the unsubscribe or Manage your subscription preferences link present in the email as shown in the following image. When you click the unsubscribe link you will automatically be opted-out of future email that are the same category as the email you received. For more information on opt-out categories, refer to Email Opt-Out Configurations. If you click this link, no further steps are required. When you click the Manage your subscription preferences link, the Email Settings window will open in another tab. If you click this link, proceed to step 2.
- The Email Settings window can be configured to have custom opt-out categories and reasons for opting out. For more information on configuring custom opt-out pages, refer to Email Opt-Out Configurations. The default Email Settings window presents the following options:
- Email Settings:
- Opt-out from customer success communication: Select this check box if you want to opt-out of all customer success communications.
- Opt-out from survey emails: Select this check box if you want to opt-out of all survey related emails.
- Why are you opting out?
- Select a reason for opting out that best fits your situation.
Note: You can now configure the Email Settings in multiple languages. For more information, see the Configure Multilingual Opt-out Settings section.
- Click SUBMIT. Your selected request is saved and you will not receive email communications or survey related emails as per your selected criteria.
Note: If one or more Accounts contains the same Contact, the contact has to be unsubscribed from emails received for each account. For example, if contact email@example.com is present under Account A, Account B, and Account C, then to unsubscribe from emails, John must unsubscribe from emails for all three accounts.
Configure Multilingual Opt-out Settings page
Administrators can configure a multilingual Email Subscription page containing the Opt-out Settings. Admins set a default language for the Opt-out settings for a given email template, and if necessary, users can choose to view the Opt-out Settings page in a language of their choice.
- Add a new language at Administration > Communication > Languages.
- Navigate to Administration > Email Preferences.
- Select the Pages tab.
- Click +Page to add a new opt-out page, or click to open an existing page.
- Select the Properties tab.
- Select the language from the Languages drop-down list, and select the new language (as shown in the image above).
- Navigate to the Build tab.
- Click to Save the page.
- Click TRANSLATE to complete translating the page’s text to the new language you have selected.
- Navigate to Journey Orchestrator Email Templates and create or edit an email template.
- Click Settings and select the default language for the opt-out settings.
12. When the recipient clicks the Manage your subscription preferences link in the email, they have the option of selecting an alternate language for the settings.
Limitation: The language of Opt-out Settings page is not dependent on the contact’s language.
Configuring Opt-out Settings
On the Email Preferences page, Admins can manage your company logo, the caption, or description that appears to the customer on the email subscription page, as well as the opt-out categories and their visibility. For more information on managing these settings, refer to Email Opt-Out Configurations.
Configure Operational/Transactional Emails
Admins can use Journey Orchestrator to send operational emails without the unsubscribe or Manage your subscription preferences link in the footer. Contacts who have unsubscribed to regular emails from Journey Orchestrator will also receive the operational emails. For operational emails, the Power List size must not exceed 5,000 contacts.
Note: You should only use this option when you are sending operational or transactional emails such as reminders for an upcoming renewal, or welcoming a new customer. For more information on what constitutes an operational email, refer to this document on Operational Email Guidelines.
- Navigate to Journey Orchestrator > Email Template > click OPT-OUT SETTINGS at the top-right of the page > [select Email Type as Operational] .
Can I edit the text of the unsubscribe and Manage your subscription preferences link (logic) sent through Journey Orchestrator?
Yes. Click on the text in the Email template to edit it.
Can I remove the Manage your subscription preferences link completely, or replace it?
No. To adhere to the CAN-SPAM guidelines, you cannot remove the Manage your subscription preferences link from Journey Orchestrator emails. If you want to send transactional email without the unsubscribe link, you can send such transactional emails using Rules Engine and mark these emails as operational emails. For more information, see the Configure Operational/Transactional Emails section.
Can a customer re-subscribe to emails we send out?
Yes. The user must open an email and click on the Manage your subscription preferences link to re-subscribe to email communication.
To re-subscribe to email communications:
1. Click on the Manage your subscription preferences link present in an email.
2. In the Email Settings window, select all or either of the opt-out category check boxes presented. Gainsight has two out-of-the-box categories in addition to any custom categories Admins have created:
- Opt-out from customer success communication: Select this check box if you want to re-subscribe to all customer success communications.
- Opt-out from survey emails: Select this check box if you want to re-subscribe to all survey related emails.
3. Click SUBMIT. Your request, if selected, will be saved and you will start receiving email communications as per your selected criteria.
Can a CSM re-subscribe on behalf of a user?
This is not recommended, but is possible. To do this, from an outreach, the CSM can execute a sample run with the following data to receive an email with the Manage your subscription preference link in the CSM’s email account:
- Select the contact to fetch data: select the user’s contact on behalf of whom the CSM is re-subscribing email communications. For example, John.
- Send email to: enter CSM’s email ID. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org; then click RUN.
Can a Gainsight user identify contacts that are unsubscribed to an email?
Yes. This information is available in the Analytics section of Journey Orchestrator as shown in the following image. You can view the total number of undelivered emails and the users that are unsubscribed or have marked emails as spam. This information can be filtered by OUTREACH or CUSTOMER. You can also view hard and soft bounced statistics. In addition, you can create a custom report from Report Builder on the “Email Logs” subject area, and see the contacts who are unsubscribed.
Can I see a list of all contacts across all outreaches and accounts who have unsubscribed?
Yes. You can build a report on the “Unsubscribed Emails” subject area in Report Builder and export the list, if required (refer the following image).
If I include criteria in my Power List to respect the opt-out field, will unsubscribed contacts still appear in my Power List?
Yes, the unsubscribe check occurs during execution of the Outreach, so they will still appear in the Power List.