Gainsight NXT in Salesforce CRM
This article supports Gainsight NXT, the next evolution of the Customer Success platform, accessing through Salesforce Login. New and upgraded customers are deployed on Gainsight NXT. To learn more about Gainsight NXT in Salesforce, click here.
If you have not upgraded and are using Gainsight Salesforce Edition, you can find supporting documentation here.
Not sure what your team is using? Click here.
Admins can sync Activities from the Event and Task Salesforce objects into Timeline. This means if a customer is switching systems, they can bring historic data into Timeline. And if other cross-functional teams use Salesforce Activities to capture touchpoints, these can be displayed in Timeline to avoid users going back and forth between multiple systems. The Timeline UI is more consumable and intuitive for users to view the complete activity history.
You must set the Type field for Salesforce Events and Tasks to be visible for your profile. To accomplish this task, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to Setup > Build > Customize > Activities.
- Select Task Fields.
- Select the Type field.
- Click Set Field-Level Security.
- Ensure that the Visible check box is selected for your Salesforce profile.
- Click Save.
You must perform this task for the Events Fields as well.
- If the description field for SFDC Tasks and Events is null, then those records will not be synced to the Activity Timeline.
- For fields other than a picklist data type, only "AND" expressions are supported in advanced filter logic. For fields of a picklist data type, "INCLUDES" expressions are supported.
Integrate Salesforce Activities to Timeline
To begin integrating Salesforce activities to timeline, navigate to Administration > Activities and Timeline > Integration.
For information on how to configure a specific integration job, follow the tutorial below. For the purposes of this tutorial, we’ll review how to integrate all Events for Opportunities where the Stage is Closed-Won.
- Click ADD JOB.
- Configure the fields under Basic Details. Additional configuration sections are then displayed.
- Job Name: Add a name to identify this job.
- Integration: The source of the files being integrated. Salesforce will be selected by default.
- Object: Select the object containing the records you wish to integrate. For the purposes of this tutorial, we’ll select the Event object.
- Related To: Select the object that the files you wish to integrate are related to. For the purposes of this tutorial, we’ll select the Opportunity object.
Map the Salesforce Fields to Gainsight Fields for the integrated records under Field Mapping. For the purposes of this tutorial, we’ll keep the default mappings.
Note: When mapping the Salesforce Type field to the Gainsight Activity Type field, you can select the default activity type value in the field directly below. If the integration job is unable to successfully map the Salesforce Type value to a Gainsight Activity Type value, the default activity type is used to create Timeline entries.
(Optional): Click +ADD FIELD to add additional custom field mappings
Add filters for the records you wish to integrate under the Filters section. You can add filters associated with the objects selected under Basic Details. For the purposes of this tutorial, we’ll be adding the following filters on the Event object and Opportunity object:
- Event Filter: Due Date Only = Custom (we’ll select a recent due date).
- Opportunity Filter: Stage = Closed Won
Note: Currently only the AND logic is supported when you apply multiple filters.
Select the time frame for syncing activities data under Historic Data. For the purposes of this tutorial, we’ll select the last 15 days.
Click SAVE. You will be navigated back to the Salesforce Activity Jobs list. If the job is successfully created, it will be displayed here.
Once the data sync is complete any changes made to the SFDC Event Activity will sync to Timeline.
Integration jobs will be picked up by the scheduler when it runs next (by default it runs every four hours). Click the options icon to display the options to Run the job manually or Delete the job.
- The Salesforce Activity Jobs page allows you to configure Data Sync jobs to be Active. Once configured as Active, the Data sync job is executed every time, when the scheduler runs. You must select the Active check box to set a Data sync job to be Active.
- You can perform a manual execution of jobs anytime on either Active and Inactive Data sync jobs.
- You can download a spreadsheet that contains all of the details of the latest execution.
- During the manual execution of a job, you can select to Test Run the job. A Test Run job does not sync any data from Salesforce. However, you receive an email notification for a Test Run. This email contains information about execution details and the process of accessing the logs.
- Activities synced from Salesforce have a “Salesforce” tag added to their header in Timeline.