With the new Email Assist feature, CSMs can send emails directly to contacts from Cockpit. For example, a CSM might want to send an email directly from Cockpit when they need to reach out to a customer to determine a suitable time to conduct an EBR; or to gather more details about a negative response to an NPS Survey.
A new CTA Task Type called Email Task is available for inclusion in Playbooks. Admins can create Email Tasks in Playbooks and associate them with a Journey Orchestrator email template. Once the Playbook is applied to a CTA (via a Rule or manually in Cockpit), the Email Task will be visible to the CSM, and the email template can be customized and sent to contacts of their choosing.
See also Configure Email Tasks for Admin instructions.
Send Email Tasks
In the Cockpit List View, Cockpit Email Tasks display an email icon next to the number of Tasks. When users click the Task name, the Task Details pane opens on the right with a Approve & Send Email option at the bottom.
Note: Only the owners of Email Assist Tasks can send the emails.
- Click the Email Task name to view the details in the respective Task Detail View.
- Click VALIDATE EMAIL. The Edit Email dialog box is displayed.
- Enter or select from the following options:
- To: You can add multiple recipients in this section. Search option is provided to search and add the recipients.
- The recipient Email address is auto-populated. For more information, refer to the succeeding section.
- You can search and add a contact although the contact’s Email address is opted out in SFDC.
- When multiple recipients are added, the Email can be sent to all the recipients only after previewing the Email for each recipient.
- Send separate Emails to multiple contacts: Select this option to send separate emails to individual recipients specified in the ‘To’ section. If this option is not selected, a common Email is sent to all recipients.
Note: Only separate Emails can be sent, if the Email template contains:
- Contact/User object tokens
- Report with Contact object filters
- Cc: Add contact to send a carbon copy of the Email.
- From and Reply-To addresses: By default, these addresses are the logged-in user’s Email address. You can modify the From address. Select from the drop-down list of options that are populated based on the configuration set in Administration > Calls to Action > General Settings > Account/Relationship. For more information on configuration of From and Reply-To addresses, refer to Configure Cockpit List View, General Settings, and Reporting Categories
- Reply-To in Bcc: Select this option to add ‘Reply-To’ Email in Bcc.
- (Optional) Enter or modify the email template’s subject and body. You can delete a token placeholder if necessary and proceed with sending.
- (Optional) Add attachments, insert images and hyperlinks, and use the other formatting tools in the email designer. The cumulative size of your attachments and email template must not exceed 10 MB.
- If you are not ready to send the email, click SAVE AS DRAFT. Otherwise, click PREVIEW AND PROCEED to preview the email.
- In the Preview Email screen, click
- GO BACK to edit the email further.
- SEND TEST EMAIL to send a test email to the currently logged in user.
- SEND EMAIL to send the email.
Note: When multiple contacts exist, this button is enabled while previewing the last contact's Email. It is disabled otherwise.
Use the NEXT and PREVIOUS icons to preview the next and previous contact's email respectively.
Note: After you Send the email, the status of Email Task is automatically updated to 'closed'.
Auto-populate Email Recipient
The recipient Email address is auto-populated. This is based on the source of CTA creation. Consider the following:
- If the CTA is created manually: The associated contact in the Email Task Detail View > Contact field is populated. Refer to the following image:
- If a contact is available at task level, this contact is used instead of CTA contact. If not, CTA contact is populated.
- If multiple CTA contacts or task level contacts are available, recently used contact is populated. If Email address is not available for the latest contact, no recipient address is populated.
Note: The recipient's Email addresses are auto-populated only when they have standard Salesforce license.
For example, if you are sending an email to an internal user with a standard Salesforce license, and type in "John Doe", "email@example.com" will appear in the list of selectable recipients. Now, if want to send the same email to a user with a "Chatter Only" license and type in "John Doe", you will not be able to see the selectable options. Navigate to Salesforce and find the "Chatter Only" user's email address and then type manually in the ‘To’ section.
- If the CTA is created from Rules Engine: The contact selected in Associated Contact field in Administration > Rules Engine > +RULE > Setup Action > Action Type > Call To Action is populated. Refer to the following image:
View Email Open Stats
In the Task Detail View, you can view the Email statistics:
Click PREVIEW to view the contents of the email.
If your Admin configures reports on the Email Logs object and displays them in dashboards or in a C360 section, you'll be able to view open/click/view stats for your email. However, Email Tasks are not available in the out-of-the-box Journey Orchestrator Analytics.
Limitations to Tracking Email Opens
Tracking whether the email was opened by the recipient may not work if it has been purposefully blocked by the customer's email client security settings.
For Email Assist tasks, we track open statistics by using a small invisible image attached to each email. When that image is loaded, it sends info back to the Gainsight logs to say that the email was opened. This tracking method is fairly standard among email providers.
With Email Assist, we have seen that sometimes the tracking image is blocked when the email is received. Unless the user clicks "Show all images" in the email, we cannot track whether or not the email was opened. This is a common limitation that all email service providers encounter.
In Journey Orchestrator emails, the tracking link itself is embedded in the URL, so this is not an issue.
On a related note, if the contact in 'To' forwards an email to 10 other contacts, then those 10 emails will be tracked against the contact's name. The open rate count will be added against the 'To' ID when the forwarded email is opened.
Sync to Salesforce
As with other Cockpit Tasks, Email Tasks can also be synced to Salesforce, by clicking the sync icon:
The sync displays closed email tasks in the SF Activity History. The activity will only be tied to the contact in the email “To” field, not the contacts in the email “CC” field.
Note: Attachments to emails are not synced to Salesforce.
Managing Email Responses
If a recipient responds to your email, the response will go directly to your email inbox. There is currently no way to respond to them via the Email Task. If you wish to receive a copy of the email in your own inbox, enter your email address in the CC line.
Track Email Assist tasks in Timeline
Perform the following steps to track the Email Assist tasks in Timeline:
Navigate to Administration > Calls to Action > General Settings at the account or relationship level.
Switch the Automatically track email assist emails in timeline toggle to ON.
The email communications for the account or relationship for which tracking has been enabled can be viewed in the Timeline in the C360 or the CTA detail view page.
Note: The Choose ‘From’ email address in email assist option enables the admins to select the Logged-in User or Email Assist Domain Configuration as the From address in Email Task.
- When copying/pasting into an email, highlight the font & re-size to ensure best results.
- CC yourself to get a copy of the email in your personal email (you can also ask your Admin to add an email address to Admin > Email Configuration > Compliance to receive BCC's of all Cockpit emails).
- Type an email signature if you’re interacting with someone that you don’t very often (custom signatures are not possible currently).
- Only Task owners can send email tasks, but you can easily re-assign task owners as needed.