Prep Work & Vault Assets
Below is the prep-work for this tutorial, which includes best practices and optional resources to download from Vault.
- If you would like to model your playbook off of our best practices, you can do so using our Vault assets:
- Launch Risk (link coming soon)
- Workbook – Launch Scorecard
- Configure your customer health scorecard to take the launch risk into account.
- We strongly encourage you to model your scorecard off of Gainsight’s Risk Management Framework, using these assets
- ‘Implementation Risk: Set Score 1: Set Greens V1’ (link coming soon)
- Implementation Risk: Set Score 2: Set Yellows & Reds based on CTAs V1
In this section, we’ll guide you through implementing the business challenge process. It’s important to keep in mind that every customer instance is unique; while following these examples you may need to make customizations to suit your business processes.
The Gainsight features we will use for this exercise: Cockpit, Scorecards, Rules Engine.
Using Gainsight’s Rules Engine, you'll build a rule that fires off a CTA if a customer hasn’t yet implemented your software/product within 90 days of their original contract date. Keep in mind that the amount of days associated with this rule can vary depending on your business, as well as the segmentation of your customers.
Incorporate your Risk Mgmt. framework into your survey responses and scorecards
The Risk Management framework is used to address risk, using a combination of Scorecards and CTAs.
Objectives for Risk Management Framework:
|Address early warning signs||Proactively monitor data on customer behavior|
|Incorporate CSM judgment in assessment of risk level||Leverage “flagging” of CTAs|
|Common view of risks across levels of the org||Tie scorecards to CTAs|
|Hold other departments accountable for contributing to customer success||Each executive on company leadership team owns a risk category (e.g. VP Services is responsible for implementation risk category if a project plan is delayed)|
Gather Data Sources
Where does your data live? For this exercise, we’ll be building an example that creates a CTA and affects the health when there is a delay in the customer’s implementation.
Implementation Delay: for our purposes, we’ll be using the Original Contract Date and the Customer Stage to find customers who haven’t reached a stage by a specified date.
Tutorial: Automating Risk Management CTAs Delayed Onboarding
Complete this tutorial.
Now that you’ve defined your first rule for the Risk Framework – it’s time to complete the rest of your scorecard! Here are three additional example tutorials that you can follow to complete for Support, Sentiment and Company type risks:
- Do you need a way to better manage customer satisfaction and sentiment issues? Review V3D challenge B6.
- Are you seeing high churn in accounts where you lose a key contact? Review V3D challenge B7.
- Do you have customers that are experiencing support issues which is causing risk and leading to churn? Review V3D challenge B8.
Also, it’s important to monitor your health scorecard to ensure you’re properly following up on risks, and understanding how they are affecting your customer base. Here are 3 reports we recommend:
- Count of Account by Health Score by CSM
- Percentage of Accounts by Health Score Type by CSM
- Percentage of Accounts by Health Score Type by Stage
Here’s how we recommend you manage the process and make lasting change:
- On a quarterly basis, Customer Success Team Leads should do a root cause analysis of all the scores and verbatim/comments from the scores and the process changes to address the cause.
- You can configure your customer health scorecard to take the launch risk into account.
- This will help your CSM and sales teams both be able to easily gauge a customer’s launch risk via the C360 view, rather than one or both departments being left in the dark on a customer’s overall launch risk.
Additional Best Practice Resources
The following resources may be most useful for your VP of CS and CSM team:
- How Gainsight Uses Scorecards and Calls to Action (blog post)
- Best in Class Onboarding: Make it Happen with Gainsight (blog post)
- Gainsight Deep-dive into Risk Management: Implementation Risk (webinar recording)
Additional Configuration Resources
If you need additional information about how to setup your risk process, see the resources below:
- Gainsight & Clarizen Integration Instructions (Gainsight uses Clarizen for onboarding project management)