This article supports Gainsight NXT, the next evolution of the Customer Success platform. If you are using Gainsight CS Salesforce Edition, you can find supporting documentation by visiting the home page, and selecting CS > Salesforce Edition.
Not sure what your team is using? Click here.
This article explains how admins can manually execute a job in Adoption Explorer, and the options in the LOGS page. You can navigate to the Logs section in a project via: Adoption Explorer > Administration. Hover to the required project and click the Logs icon.
To execute a job in an Adoption Explorer project, make sure that the project you want to run is in Active state.
Options in Logs page
Once you are landed on the LOGS page, you will see the below options:
- Run Now
- Refresh Logs
- Logs - List View
- Sorting (Select Sort Column and Toggle Sort)
- Pagination Tool
A project in Adoption Explorer can be scheduled automatically and manually. You can schedule a project to run automatically (either Daily/Weekly), as explained in the Setup Source Connection article. Here, the Run Now allows you to execute a job manually to the source level and derived measure level and you can also do a “Test Run”, through which you will be able to check if all the settings, source connections, etc. are working correctly. Test Run will not load any data to the objects.
Notes: To Run/Schedule a project in Adoption Explorer, make sure that your project is Active.
Basically, the purpose of Run Now is:
- You can schedule a project on the historical data. For instance, you may want to compare the Product Usage Data of the current year with the Previous Year, you may need the report from the Previous Year. But, for historical data older than 45 days, the daily jobs will not be executed, system will schedule only weekly jobs, only if the weekly sources are present.
- You can run on a selected source, instead of running the entire project. For instance, you have added a new source to the existing project, and you may want to run only that particular source.
- You can also select a single source object and can run on the specifically selected derived measures. For instance, you have created a new derived measure in the existing source, and you may want to run only that particular derived measure.
To Run Now:
- Navigate to Adoption Explorer > Administration.
- Hover to the required project and click RUN NOW (or) click Logs icon, to navigate to the Logs page and click Run Now.
Note: On the projects listing screen, you will see that RUN NOW is enabled only for the projects in Active state.
Enter the required date range in the Start Date and End Date fields respectively, if you want to run historical data for the selected date range.
- If you want to run a job for a particular date, you can just enter the required date in the Start Date field, and can leave the End Date field blank.
- Daily jobs or Weekly jobs in a project are run based on the Run day. For instance, you have set the Company UsageInfo to Weekly, and selected a weekday (Ex: Dec 1st ‘18) to run the project, then only the daily jobs of the project are run, and the weekly jobs of project would not run. However, if you have selected weekend (Ex: Dec 2nd ‘18) as the run day, then not only the daily jobs of Dec 2nd ‘18, but also weekly aggregation for the week ending Dec 2nd’18 also runs, similarly Company UsageInfo object also runs.
- If the selected data sources in a project are configured with Google Analytics (GA), you will not be able to run a project for the last 3 days, since the data for these days is not yet available. This is because usage data from GA will be ingested into the Adoption Explorer objects in 72 hours. For instance, today is 15th Jan’18, you can run for 12th Jan’18 and for the days backdated from 12th Jan’18. For more information on schedule frequency, refer Schedule Frequency.
- Send Job Notifications to: Enter the email address(es) in the respective field to which a job notification email will be sent.
- Test Run (Data won't be loaded to Objects): Select the checkbox to test the job. Test Run allows you to check if all the settings, source connections, etc. are working correctly. Test Run will not load any data to the objects.
- Selective Run Now: allows you to run on a single source object, instead of running the entire project. Select the checkbox to enable Select Object dropdown list.
- If you wish to run the entire project, click RUN NOW, without selecting the Selective Run Now checkbox.
- If you don’t select Test Run/Selective Run Now, the entire project will run for the given date.
- Select Object: Select the required source object from the Select Object dropdown list. Once you select the source object, you will be enabled with two options: Sources and Derived Fields. You can select either of the two options, based on your requirement:
- Sources: allows you to select and run on the required sources, instead of running the entire project. Select the required sources from the Select Sources dropdown list.
- Derived Fields: allows you to run on the selected derived measures in the source object, instead of running the entire source. Select the required fields from the Derived Fields dropdown list.
Click RUN NOW to execute a job on the selected source or the selected derived measures.
Logs - List View
Once you run a job, you can see the status of the job in the first column of the Logs table. If a job was recently updated to run, but you have not left this screen, you need to click Refresh Logs.
You can see the following details in the Logs table:
- Status: Identifies the status of the job. The various statuses are:
- SCHEDULED: This status is displayed when there are other job execution in-progress.
- STARTED: This status is displayed when the job is started for execution.
- SKIPPED: This status is displayed when you execute a job older than last 45 days. This means, daily jobs older than last 45 days will not be executed, system will schedule only weekly jobs for the skipped date range, only if the weekly sources are present.
- SUCCESS: This status is displayed when the job is successfully executed.
- PARTIAL SUCCESS: This status is displayed when there is any invalid data in the source records.
- FAILURE: This status is displayed when the job fails to execute.
- ABORTED: This status is displayed when you stop the execution of a job. To learn more about how to abort a job, refer Abort Job section of this article.
- Run for Date: is the date for which you want to execute the run. If you have selected a Date Range from one week to another week, then Adoption Explorer will automatically run for all the weekly schedules in the project.
- Schedule Frequency: is either Daily/Weekly. You will see the frequency next to Run for Date.
- Start Time: is the time at which the job execution starts.
- Modified Time: is the time at which the job execution ends.
- Schedule Type: You can see the schedule type in the last column of the Logs table. The schedule type can either be SCHEDULER or MANUAL or TEST RUN. If the job execution is Automatic, you will see the type as SCHEDULER and if the execution is manual, you will see MANUAL or MANUAL, TEST (if you have selected Test Run option in Run Now).
View Job Details
The output details of the job are displayed here:
- Click on the right hand side of the job, you will see the list of objects/derived fields on which you have run the job.
- Click the Rounded-Plus button on any of the object/derived field, to see the detailed information of the job.
- Extraction and Transformation: This is the stage where the data from source files are picked, extracted for specific data, formats and are applied with the appropriate functions etc. Once the extraction and transformation begins, you will see the status as STARTED, and once the job is complete, you will see the status as SUCCESS.
- Data Load: This is the stage where the data extracted from the previous step is loaded into the Adoption Explorer objects. Until the extraction and transformation step is complete, you will see the status here as QUEUED, and once the data load begins, you will see the status as STARTED, and once the job is complete, you will see the status as SUCCESS.
If the current job you are looking at is in-progress, you can click Refresh Status to refresh the job status.
Generate Download Links
Once the Extraction and Transformation, and Data Load tasks are successful, you will see the option called Generate Download Links, for previewing and downloading the data.
Preview: Click this icon to preview the results in a new window. You can see the number of records displayed in this page.
Download: Click this icon to download the results of the selected object/derived field.
You can also abort a job when the job run is in-progress using the Abort Job option beside the Refresh Status button. Abort Job option is enabled for any job scheduled for a run. You can use this option when the job is initiated unintentionally or if the job is not configured as required.
If you have run too many jobs, using pagination tool, you can navigate through different pages and view multiple jobs, in a set of 5, 10, 20 and 25 jobs on a single page, based on your selection.