This article supports Gainsight NXT, the next evolution of the Customer Success platform. If you are using Gainsight CS Salesforce Edition, you can find supporting documentation by visiting the home page, and selecting CS > Salesforce Edition.
Not sure what your team is using? Click here.
This article is about how Admins can view and assign licenses while creating User(s).
You can filter the users based on license type and create reports on the licensed users in a company. Following are the topics covered in this article:
User License Type
Admins can view and manage user license types in the Gainsight User Management or User Details pages. Following are the license types:
- Viewer License: Users can only view pages assigned to them as part of the Viewer permission bundle.
- Full License: Users will have access to products based on the permission bundles assigned to them in Gainsight.
- Super Admins will have Full license type by default.
- Unlicensed license type is assigned to existing users who do not have any permission bundles assigned to them in the Source system. While uploading users through CSV, if no license type or invalid license type is present in the License Type field in CSV, then the users will be assigned with Unlicensed license type.
Difference Between Full and Viewer License
|Full Licensed User||Viewer Licensed User|
|Who are the Users||Customer Success Manager, Account Managers, Technical Account Managers, Renewal Managers, Install-base Sales||Support Representatives, Project Managers, Service Managers, Executives, New-logo Sales, Channel Partners|
|What's Included||Full Read or Write access to Gainsight data and functionality||
License Type field is selected by default in user attributes in the User Management page.
You can view the total number of active Full Licensed Users and active Viewer Licensed Users beside the All Users dropdown in the User Management page.
Note: Users from Gainsight in a customer org and inactive users are not included in the total count of Full Licensed Users and View Licensed Users.
License Type field is added in the Add Users Manually page. Following are the two options in the License Type field:
- Viewer License: When admins select this option, then VIEW_GROUP permission is assigned by default to the user in the Permission field.
- Full License: When admins select this option, they can assign permissions to the user in the Permission field.
For more information, refer to how to Add Users Manually section.
View License Type in User Details Page
To view the license type for a user:
- Navigate to Administration > User Management.
- Click the ellipsis menu, and select Edit User.
- In the left pane, scroll to the bottom to view the License type field.
You can change the License Type and Permissions of the user in the User Details page.
- For Viewer License, VIEW_GROUP is selected by default in the Select Permission dropdown list.
- For Full License, you can select the required permissions in the Select Permission dropdown list.
- You can’t change the license type of an Super Admin.
- You can’t change the license type of Full or Viewer Licensed user to Unlicensed.
Filter Users Based on License Type
You can filter the users based on the license type in the User Management page. Select the License Type in the field and select in as an operator. Select any of the following new filter values:
- Full: Select this option to view a list of users with full licenses.
- Viewer: Select this option to view a list of users with Viewer licenses.
- Unlicensed: Select this option to view a list of users without a license.
Note: You can also add an Active or Inactive filter to view the list of Active or Inactive users for each license type.
Assign/Reassign Licenses to Multiple Users
You can assign/reassign licenses to multiple users in the User Management page.
To assign/reassign user licenses to multiple users:
- Navigate to Administration > User Management.
- Select the required users. License Type icon is enabled.
- Click License Type icon and select one of the below options:
- Assign Full License to selected Users: Select this option to assign a full license to selected users.
- Assign Viewer License to selected Users: Select this option to assign a viewer license to selected users.
- Click Yes to assign/reassign the license in the confirmation popup box.
Assign License through CSV file
While adding users through a CSV file, licenses are assigned to users in the Gainsight application based on the following criteria:
- Full Licensed: If a User is set to FULL for License Type field in the CSV, then a Full License is assigned in the Gainsight application.
- Viewer Licensed: If the User is set to VIEWER for License Type field in the CSV, then Viewer license type is assigned in the Gainsight application.
- Unlicensed: If the Admins wants to create Unlicensed users, then they need to mention Unlicensed in the License Type column of CSV file.
After uploading the CSV file, you need to map the source License Type field to the target License Type field in the Gainsight application.
- If an invalid value or no value is present in the License Type field in the CSV, then a Full License is assigned to Super Admins.
- If an invalid value or no value is present in the License Type field in the CSV, then an error file (CSV) is generated for Users.
For more information on how to add users through a CSV file, refer to the Manage Gainsight Users from User Management article.
Assign Licenses through External Systems
When users are pulled from the Salesforce Connector, licenses are assigned based on the following conditions:
- Full License: If the Salesforce users have access (Gainsight License) to the Gainsight application in Salesforce, then a Full License is assigned to the users in Gainsight.
- Unlicensed: If the Salesforce users do not have access (Gainsight License) to the Gainsight application, then the Unlicensed license type is assigned to them.
Note: Gainsight only supports assigning of licenses through Salesforce Connector. All users synced to Gainsight through other Connectors will be created as Unlicensed users in the Gainsight application.
Create Report on License Type
Admins can create a report of the users and license types in the Report Builder page. To create a report on license type, you can select the User object in the Data Source field and other required fields in the Show me field in the Report Builder page.
To create a report on license type:
- Navigate to Administration > Report Builder.
- Click +REPORT.
- Select User object in the Data Source field.
- Click + button each time to add Name, Email ID, Status, and License Type in the Show me field.
- Click RUN to view the report.
- Click the Save icon at the top of the page.
- Enter a Name and Description (Optional).
- Click SAVE to save the Report.
For more information, refer to the How to Build Basic Reports article.
- In the Permission Bundle page, Admins can assign default or custom permissions bundles to a Viewer Licensed or Unlicensed user which is restricted on the Create User and Edit User page.