This article explains the various components of the Renewal Center user page and the process for managing opportunities.
Gainsight’s Renewal Center enables your team to gain predictability and control over your renewals business with accurate forecasting, realtime reporting, and robust analytics.
With Renewal Center, you can easily accomplish the following Renewal goals:
Forecast: Build Accurate In-Quarter and Near Term Renewals Forecasts
- For each open renewal opportunity, Gainsight provides a likelihood-to-renew score based on data-driven measures of customer health.
- See forecast accuracy improve over time as the Machine Learning algorithm learns from your data and past business outcomes.
- Easy-to-update views of upcoming renewals so managers and reps can input their forecast call.
Prepare: Quickly Obtain an Up-to-Date View of Your Book of Business
- View the most up-to-date in-quarter forecast metrics side-by-side with Gainsight’s predictive forecast.
- Obtain a roll-up view of outstanding renewal dollars, as well as actual closed, churned, and upsell; filter the entire view by your book of business.
- Highlight and correct potentially missed opportunities.
- Quickly access and visualize the status of at-risk opportunities alongside customer insights for that account.
Analyze: Gain a Deeper Understanding of Where Risk Exists
- Analyze both Forecast by Booking type as well as the composition of churn with interactive charts.
- Filter by geography, industry, segment, or other business-relevant attributes to better understand where to pay more attention.
- Drill down into individual renewals and see the latest activity, updates, customer health insights, and potential risks.
Components of Renewal Center
The Renewal Center page consists of two main tabs; Analyze and Forecast. The Analyze tab display key metrics related to your renewals in numerical and graphical forms. On the Analyze page, you can see what matters and quickly take action. The Forecast tab displays a list of all your Renewal Opportunities.
Renewal Center has two components that are common to both the tabs. You can view these components from both the tabs.
- Forecast period: This section is common to both Analyze and Forecast tabs. You can use dynamic filters to select your Forecast Period. You can select predefined options of Current Quarter, Next Quarter, Current Month, or Next 120 Days forecast periods. You can now also select exact date ranges using the Custom option.
To configure Forecast Period:
- Navigate to Renewal Center.
- Click the Forecast period section and create your range by using the dynamic filter options.
- Click Apply.
- (Optional) To select an individual period and not a range, select the required period and double click it.
- (Optional) To reset the Forecast Period to the default value, click Clear.
- Global Filter: You can use the global filter to filter your renewal data. Executives or renewal team managers, who do not own any opportunities themselves, can use the Global filter to view the opportunities of their team members. You can also apply a filter to view opportunities of a specific region or location. The fields which are configured by your admin can be used for setting filter criteria. You can set multiple criteria if required. The AND logic is applied to evaluate multiple criteria.
IMPORTANT: By default, the Renewals owned by the logged in user are displayed. If the logged in user does not own any renewals, they can change the global filter to select other users, segments, or geographies.
The Analyze tab is displayed by default when you land on the Renewal Center User page. This tab contains information related to six key fields related to your renewals and has six sections:
This section analyzes the opportunities in your book of business and highlights areas that you may need to take action. It evaluates opportunities based on the global filter and quarter that has been applied. There are four cards in this section, but they will be displayed only when applicable. Click the > icon to see the details and take action. The four panes are:
- Potentially missing renewal opportunities: This card displays companies that have renewal dates coming up but do not have a renewal opportunity. Click the > icon for this card to view a list of these companies. Click ADD to create an opportunity for such companies.
Note: The Global Filter is based on Opportunity fields and does not apply to this Action Card since the card does not contain opportunities. This card displays companies that have upcoming renewal dates but do not have a renewal opportunity per due date/close date in the same renewing time frame.
- Opportunities past due date: This card displays opportunities that are past their due date but are yet to be closed. When you click > icon for this card, you can view a list of opportunities whose renewal date has exceeded the current date. Click > for each record to take suitable action.
- Opportunities missing forecast: This card displays renewal opportunities whose forecast amount has not been updated. The overall value shown is based on the target amount. When you click > icon for this card, you can view a list of companies whose Forecast amount is missing. Click > for each record to take suitable action.
- High Churn Risk opportunities: This card displays opportunities that are at the highest risk for churn. Click > for each record to take suitable action.
This section displays the important metrics related to your renewals. You can drill through all the KPI's in the Summary listing to see the details of the opportunities that make up the numbers. You can also perform edit operations in the opportunity details.
The metrics are:
- Renewals Due: The sum of renewal target amounts for all renewal opportunities.
- Renewal forecast: Gainsight Forecast only includes renewals to be comparable with Renewals Due and Renewal Forecast. Forecast scenarios are provided based on how your company has decided to roll up opportunities by Forecast Categories and Probability. There are multiple methods to configure the calculation of this metric. Your admin can select one of the available methods to perform the calculation. The value displayed is after performing the calculation by using the calculation method set by your admin. However, you can hover on the tooltip attached to Your Forecast metric to view the value, if other calculation methods were applied.
- Upsell Forecast: Separating Renewal and Upsell forecasts make it easier to see what goes into Gross Renewal and Net Renewal rates. However, you can hover on the tooltip attached to Your Forecast metric to view the value, if other calculation methods were applied. To learn more about the calculation methods for this metric refer to the Forecast section of the Configure Renewal Center article.
- Gainsight Forecast: This is a Machine Learning based forecast. To learn more about how this calculation is performed, refer to the Renewal Center Metric Calculations article. If you are unable to view this section, refer to the Settings section of the Configure Renewal Center article.
- Gross Renewal: Gross Renewal Rate is the percentage of opportunities renewed in the period. GRR does not include upsell.
- Net Renewal: Net Renewal Rate is the rate at which customers are renewing and expanding. It differs from Gross Renewal Rate, which only shows the rate at which customers are renewing and does not take upsells into account.
This section displays the data regarding closed opportunities in the selected quarter. This section displays the metrics and also the number of companies that contributed to that metric. You can drill through all the KPI's in the Actuals listing to see the details of the opportunities that make up the numbers. You can also perform edit operations in the opportunity details.
There are three key metrics:
- Renewals: Final amount of renewal opportunities that were won.
- Churn: The sum of lost renewals, closed downsell (downsell tracked as separate downsell opportunities), and downsell from won renewals.
- Upsell: The sum of Upsell Renewal opportunities and renewal opportunities which were closed with a higher amount than forecasted.
Renewals Due Chart provides a visual representation of the opportunities that are due for renewal. You can now view and take action on opportunities that may not be progressing appropriately given when it's due and the current stage.
Renewals Due Chart that provides a visual representation of the opportunities that are due for renewal. You can now view and take action on opportunities that may not be progressing appropriately given when it's due and the current stage.
You can select the category from the following options in the dropdown list to display in the Renewals Due chart:
- Stage - Default
- Forecast Category
You can click on the opportunity stages or forecast category to view the list of opportunities and then drill down to each opportunity and take actions.
- The chart can show a maximum of 12 bars of data.
- If the data for the selected Forecast Period stretches beyond 12 bars, then the chart is displayed in terms of the subsequent level of period granularity. For example, if you select five years, then the chart shows five bars each representing a year instead of showing 20 quarters.
- The amount shown on each bar is the sum of Target Amounts of all the opportunities in the given period.
Booking Type is displayed as a stacked column chart. Each bar in the chart represents a booking type (x-axis) and the corresponding forecast value (y-axis). Each bar is divided into sales stages as per the forecast amount. You can hover your mouse over each stack to view drill-down data.
The Late Renewal chart gives a categorized view of the opportunities with Close Date after the renewal Due Date. Each bar of the chart shows the opportunities that were delayed by a certain number of week(s). The first bar shows the opportunities late by a week, the second bar shows the opportunities delayed by two weeks and so on.
Click on the opportunity stage on the chart to view the list of opportunities and then drill down to each opportunity and take actions.
Churn data is displayed as a pie chart. Each Churn Category is displayed in a color, configured by your admin. You can hover your mouse over each stack to view drill-down data. The value in the center of the circle represents the total sum of churn incurred in the selected quarter.
For a detailed explanation of how these metrics are calculated, please refer to the Renewal Center Metric Calculations article.
Actions on Graph: You can perform the following actions on the Analyze tab charts:
- Analyze churn reasons: You can learn about the churn reasons, by tracking them via the churn chart. When you select the Category as Primary Reason, the Churn Chart groups the opportunities based on the different churn reasons that you have configured in Data Management. The opportunities with no churn reasons selected are grouped under No Reason Selected Category. When you provide the churn reason by editing the opportunity details, the chart regroups the opportunities.
When you further drill down to each category of churn reasons in the chart, you can view the Churn Total for each opportunity.
- Exclude a Legend: If you do not wish to view any legend (parameter) in the graph, you can click the legend, to exclude it from the graph. The excluded legend is greyed out.
- Drill Down and Export Data: You can drill down to view all the Opportunities which are contributing to a graph by clicking a parameter. You can click export, to export this list.
- Sort and Export Data: You can also sort data in Drill down windows. You must click the required field name to sort data of that field. When you click a column for the first time, data is sorted alphabetically/ascending order, based on the data type of the field. When you click the column again, the data is sorted in descending/ reverse alphabetic (Z-A) order. When you export data after sorting, the sorting is not honored in the exported CSV file.
Renewal Waterfall chart provides a graphical explanation of what is happening to your renewal business through the Renewal Waterfall Chart. This chart explains:
- What is happening with Renewals Due in the selected time period
- What is available to renew
- Expected Downsell
- Explains Gross and Net Renewal Rates
All the data is shown is for renewals which fall in the selected time period. The Renewal Center Waterfall chart displays both the actual and forecasted values.
Analyze the Renewal Waterfall Chart:
- Renewals Due: The sum of Target Amount of all renewals which are due to be renewed for the logged-in user (or the user whose has renewals are being filtered). In this example, the Renewals Due is $48.56k.
- Lost: The total sum of renewals lost in the selected time period. This is the sum of all the opportunities which were closed with a Lost status. In this example, $7000 was lost out of a total of $48.56k, which was up for renewal.
- Downsell: The total sum of renewal opportunities that were won but with a downsell. Opportunities with a status of closed and whose Final Amount was less than Target Amount are shown under the Actuals section, and opportunities whose status is Open but have the target Amount less than the Forecast Amount are displayed under the Open section.
- Gross Renewal: The gross sum of opportunities renewed in the selected time period. The actual and forecasted values are shown separately.
- Upsell: This field displays the sum of opportunities whose Target Amount is greater than Forecast Amount for Open Opportunities and the Final Amount was greater than Target Amount for closed opportunities.
- Net Renewal: The actual sum of opportunities renewed and forecasted to be renewed.
- Drill down and Download Data in Waterfall Chart: Apart from viewing specific data, you can also drill down to view a list of opportunities that contributed to specific data. You can also download this data as a CSV file.
The Forecast tab displays all of the opportunities based on the global filter. In this section, you can view all of the opportunities (in list view and detail view), edit opportunities, add new opportunities, as well as edit Scorecard and create Timeline data for customers.
Forecast Tab Tasks
This sub-section explains the various tasks which you can perform on the Forecast tab.
Edit an Opportunity
To edit an opportunity:
- Double click the field to be edited and modify the value.
- Click the save icon. When you click the save icon, data is also synced back to the Salesforce opportunity. Data is saved only if all of the validation rules in Salesforce are passed. If any validation rule is not passed, save action fails and returns an error message, so that you can take appropriate actions.
Note: You can only edit those fields which are configured to be editable by your admin.
Use Column Level Filters
You can filter data on individual columns from the Forecast table. The operators provided in the column level filter vary for each field and are dependent on the data type of the field. Server-side filtering is done in the column level filters. The data displayed in the Forecast table is based on the filters applied in the global filter. Column level filters can be applied on this data which is displayed after incorporating the global level filters.
To use Column Level Filters:
- Navigate to Renewal Center.
- Click the Forecast tab.
- Apply the appropriate filters for the required columns.
(Optional) Click X to remove an applied filter.
IMPORTANT: Once you apply all the required filters, you can also sort data in a column either in ascending/descending order (Number, Currency, Date, Date time data fields) or alphabetical order (for string data type fields). The sorting performed is Server side. When you click a column for the first time, data is sorted alphabetically/ascending order, based on the data type of the field. When you click the column again, the data is sorted in descending/ reverse alphabetic (Z-A) order.
- While applying filters, you can search for the required values. You must enter search terms which are in line with the Datatype of the field; for instance, you cannot enter letters for Date, Datetime, Number, or Currency Data Type fields.
- Currently, you cannot apply column-level filters on Text area data type fields.
- Currently, multi picklist selection is not supported in column level filters.
View Column Total
You can see the Grand Total for currency fields for each row. For multi-currency deployments, the Grand Total is converted to the user's preferred currency.
Switch To Detail View
You can switch to the detailed view of any Opportunity. The Opportunity detail view has three tabs. The Details tab displays additional information (more fields) about the selected opportunity. These additional fields displayed are based on the configurations set by your admin. Apart from additional details, you can also view and edit the scorecard and Timeline data of the selected company on the Scorecard and Timeline tabs. The Scorecard tab displays recent customer health scores. The Timeline tab displays activities performed with the customer.
To switch to the detail view:
- Click anywhere on the row to see the detailed view for the required opportunity.
- Edit the opportunity data on the Details tab.
- Click the Scorecard tab. You can view and edit the scores of a Company.
- Click the Timeline tab. You can create and edit the activities of a Company. You can only edit those activities which are created by you.
- Click Save.
To view the opportunity in Salesforce, click the View in Salesforce button on the detail view.
You can edit Scorecard data of a Company from the Scorecard tab, located on the Opportunity detail view. When you modify the score for a Company's measure, this corresponding change in score is reflected on the Scorecards section, located on the Company's C360 page.
To edit scores from Renewal Center:
- Click the detail view icon for the required company.
- Click the Scorecard tab.
- Modify scores as needed.
Create and Edit Activities
You can create and edit Timeline Activities from the Timeline tab of the detail view. You can edit only those activities which are created by you.
To create activities from Renewal center:
- Click the detail view icon for the required company.
- Click the Timeline tab.
- Create or modify the activities, as required.
Add New Opportunities
You can add new opportunities from the Forecast section. The fields configured by your admin in the detail view page are displayed on the new opportunity page.
To add a new opportunity:
- Click Add Opportunity.
- Add the following information in the mandatory fields:
- Name: Enter a name for the opportunity.
- Stage: select a stage for the opportunity.
- Close Date: Select the date on which the opportunity must be closed.
- Opportunity Owner: Select an owner for the opportunity.
- (Optional) Add data to other non-mandatory fields.
- Click Create.
Note: If the newly created Opportunity belongs to another quarter, you cannot view it from the current quarter. You must switch to the respective quarter to view the newly created Opportunity.
You can use the filter icon to filter the opportunities based on criteria configured by your admin.
To filter opportunities:
- Click the filter icon.
- Select the required criteria.
- (Optional) Click + to add multiple criteria. When you apply multiple criteria, the AND logic is applied to evaluate multiple criteria.
- (Optional) Click X to remove a criteria.
- Click Apply.
Export Opportunity Data
You can export all of the Opportunity data as a CSV file by clicking the Export Data icon. The name of the file is export.csv.