Why Product Hierarchy is the right model for your product tracking/analytics?
We recommend instrumenting your product using a product hierarchy model as opposed to a flat/one-level model. This allows you to maintain a more sustainable/scalable tracking strategy without getting lost in hundreds of tagged features, as your product matures over time. This can be done by creating main modules, sub-modules and nesting features underneath. Some of the key benefits are:
Product Tree/ Hierarchy:
- Eliminates the need for long/confusing names by having to rely on naming conventions
- Accurate and reliant Data as it eliminates:
- Double-counting due to a repetition of features in the flat/ one-level model.
- Unreliable statistics/data source caused by infinite feature list in a flat hierarchy.
- Unambiguous context on each distinct feature/sub-module/module. For example: Filters may be present on multiple pages. With the Product Tree model, one exactly knows whether it is Home > Dashboard > Filters or Data Intelligence > Reports > Filters and the like.
- Allows you to track/focus on multiple levels/ elements of your application due to its tree/ hierarchical model.
- Product tree enables the product tracking mechanism to be scalable/ extensible unlike flat hierarchy.
- Easy to deploy In-App Engagement based on specific product workflows. For example: Trigger a security question to users who changed their password > 1 in last 30 days (Home > Account > Profile Settings > Update > Change Password).
- Lets you focus on specific modules and its related aspects, whether its a sticky feature or an under-used feature.
- Map the product based on what it looks like, the way you describe it and the way you want to query the data by, not driven by the user workflow/journey!
- Identify your application’s desired access path and track how distinct user groups/ cohorts are navigating across the platform.
- Using Path Analyzer, you can analyze exactly where users are while instrumenting/mapping your product as needed.
- Map the features with just two clicks.
- Visualize/Map the features/groups of features while you are in the app.
- Track the cyclic path based on conglomerated user sessions by default as opposed to having to emulate sessions.
When you are mapping your product for the first time, you can use the Instant mapper feature to get suggestions about mapping. To learn more about the instant mapping feature refer to the Instrument your Product with Product Mapper article.