This article supports Gainsight NXT, the next evolution of the Customer Success platform. If you are using Gainsight CS Salesforce Edition, you can find supporting documentation by visiting the home page, and selecting CS > Salesforce Edition.
Not sure what your team is using? Click here.
Dropdown list and multi select dropdown list are the data types in Gainsight which allow you to create a custom dropdown list or multi select dropdown list. Multi select dropdown list is used when a user wants to store multiple values for the same record, whereas dropdown list is used to store a single value for a record.
You can create custom categories of either dropdown list or multi select dropdown list and define items in each category. You can find the standard dropdown lists and create custom dropdown lists in Administration > Data Management > Dropdown Lists. You can create custom fields in the standard and custom objects with datatype as Dropdown List, or multi select dropdown list, and select an associated category for mapping to this field.
By default, Gainsight ships Customer Stage and Customer Status dropdown list categories for standard and system fields of Company object and these cannot be editable.
You will also see several other non-editable dropdown list categories for standard and system fields in the Dropdown Lists page.
Example of Drop down List
Your product is likely used by many companies that belong to various industries. To identify the industry of your customer, a field called 'Industry' of data type dropdown list can be created to use across Gainsight. The field has multiple industry options and allows you to select one. A particular company may belong to an industry: IT, Automobile, Aerospace, Software, Networking, etc.
Example of Multi Select Dropdown List
A field like CSM Region might require selection of multiple values from a specified list.
How to create a Custom Category
You can create a custom category of either dropdown list or multi select dropdown list. To create a custom category:
- Navigate to Administration > Data Management > Dropdown Lists.
- Click +CATEGORY. Create category dialog appears.
- Enter the Category Name and Description.
- Select the Variant either Single Select or Multi Select for the respective dropdown list. Click ADD.
How to create Items in a Category
- Click the Category Name (Country here) and click +ITEM. Add new item dialog appears.
- Enter the following in the Add new item dialog:
- Name: Can contain upto 50 characters
- Short Name: Maximum 20 Characters are allowed.
- Active: Checkbox. If selected, the item is available for selection in other functionalities in Gainsight.
- Item color: Select a color. If a color is assigned to an item, the same is shown for the item in a report.
- Description: [Optional] Maximum 255 Characters are allowed.
Click ADD. Select Add another to add an item and open new dialog to add another item.
The items can be arranged in an order. You can Sort alphabetically or rearrange the items using SORT and REORDER buttons.
- When data is loaded into the custom field with data type dropdown list or multi select dropdown list through any of the ingestion channels, it is restricted to load data into the items defined in the custom category.
- If the field associated with a custom category is used in any other functionality, these dependencies of the custom category are shown in the Dropdown list dependencies section.
How to Assign Default item(s) to a Category
You can assign one default item to a dropdown list category and up to six items can be assigned to a multi select dropdown list category. If a null value is ingested into the field through any data ingestion channel, the null value will be replaced with the assigned default value into the field. To assign a default value:
For a dropdown list category, select an item from the Default Category as shown below:
- For a multi select dropdown list category, click + to add items defined in the category to set them as default. You can select one or multiple items, up to six as default items.
- Click DONE to save the selected default items.
How to create a Dropdown list for Dependent
Dependency in dropdown lists allows you to select the items in a Dependent dropdown list based on the selection of items in the Controller dropdown list. You can add fields on the Dependent and Controller Categories and create a Relationship between them as Controller and Dependent. When these fields are used in any consumption area, system allows users to select the item(s) in a Dependent field based on the selection of an item in the Controller field. To see Dependent categories section, navigate to Administration > Data Management > Dropdown Lists.
Controller: It is a category which has a list of dropdown items. Each item in the controller can control a set of items in another category (Dependent).
Dependent: It is a category which has a list of dropdown items. Some or all items in the dependent category can be in correspondence with an item from its Controller category.
Note: Category is a Dropdown List that contains a list of items.
Example: When you want to store Country and State of a CSM in an object, You may create a field CSM Country and map to a Dependent category named Country. When a user in a consumption area of this dependency feature selects an item in the CSM Country field, another dropdown list appears to select a state also. More information about configuration of the Dependent and Controller categories are shown below.
To create Controller and Dependent Categories:
- Navigate to Administration > Data management > Dropdown Lists.
- Add a Controller Category (Ex: Country) of Single select type, and add items (Country names). For the detailed information about how to create a category, refer How to create a Category and for creation of items, refer How to create Items in a Category.
You will see the list of items added to the Controller Category (Country) as shown in the following image.
Add a Dependent Category (Ex: State) of Single or Multi select type and add items (State names). For the detailed information about how to create a category, refer How to create a Category and for creation of items, refer How to create Items in a Category.
You will see the list of items added to the Dependent Category (State) as shown in the following image.
Click +DEPENDENCY in the Dependent Categories section in the Dropdown Lists page.
- In the Controller field, select a category (Country here) and in the Dependency field, select a category (State here). Dependency field depends on the Controller field and items in the Dependent category varies as per selection of an item in the Controller category. See below for the configuration of Dependency.
- Select an item in the Controller category (Country). Select the corresponding items in the Dependent category (State) to map with the selected item in the Controller category.
In any consumption area using a dependency category, everytime you change the country (Controller item), the list of states (Dependent items) will change accordingly.
Note: Controller dropdown list shows only categories of Single select whereas Dependent dropdown list shows both the Single select and Multi select categories
- Select an item from the Controller category (one Country name) on the left pane and its corresponding items from the Dependent category (State names here) on the right pane.
Click SAVE. Items in a dependent category are now mapped with the respective items in a controller category.
How to create a field of Dropdown List or Multi Select Dropdown List
You can create custom fields in the standard and custom objects with datatype as Dropdown List, or multi select dropdown list, and select an associated category for mapping to this field. For more information on creating a custom field, refer to Gainsight Data Management.
- Navigate to Administration > Data Management > [Select an object into which you want to create a custom field].
- Click ADD FIELD. Add field dialog appears.
- Enter the following details:
- Display Name: The easily understandable display name
- Field Name: The system defined field name with a suffix of __gc
- Data type: Select either Dropdown list or Multi select dropdown list.
- Category: This shows the associated categories of dropdown list or multi select dropdown list. Select the appropriate category. This maps the category to this custom field.
Click ADD. Custom field of the type dropdown list or multi select dropdown list is created.
How to create Controller and Dependent Fields
- Navigate to Administration > Data Management > Gainsight Data Objects. Select an object in which you want to create Controller and Dependent fields.
- Click ADD FIELD and create a field (Country here) of data type Dropdown List and map to the category Country as shown below.
Add another field (State here) of data type Dropdown List and map to the category State and select Controller as Country as shown below. Dependency between Dependent and Controller fields is now created.
In a consumption area where data from the User object is used, if a user selects a Country, the corresponding item State can also be selected.
Note: You can create dependent fields of single select or multi select dropdown list data type whereas you can create controller fields of single select dropdown list only. This allows users to select multiple items in a dependent field.
If you have questions or feedback about the feature explained in this article, please share them on community.gainsight.com.