1. What are the use cases that the Zendesk Integration solves?
- Keeps the Support team current on Customer Success information
- Keeps the Customer Success team in the loop on Support Activity
- Allows the two team to better collaborate through shared data and CTAs
2. How do I set it up?
A customer must have existing Zendesk and Gainsight subscriptions. The setup is twofold: install the App from the Zendesk Marketplace and associate it with your Gainsight Instance. See the Zendesk Integration Support Article for detailed steps.
3. What can I do in Zendesk?
From the Gainsight widget in Zendesk, you can:
- Map a Zendesk Org to a Salesforce Account
- View the C360 Summary section for the Customer associated with that Zendesk Org
- View the Account Attributes section for the Customer associated with that Zendesk Org
- View the Usage Data section for the Customer associated with that Zendesk Org (can view one measure at a time)
- Create a CTA in Gainsight that is associated with that Customer
- In the CTA, you can assign:
- Due Date
- Additional Comments (A hyperlink to the ticket in Zendesk is automatically added)
- In the CTA, you can assign:
- Link to an existing Risk CTA in Gainsight that is associated with that Customer
- You can search for existing open Risk CTAs by Subject
- When linked, a hyperlink to the ticket in Zendesk is automatically added to the Comments
4. What can I do in Gainsight?
- You can sync ticket history into Gainsight : The ticket history will be synced into a new Matrix Data Architecture (MDA) subject area named ‘Zendesk Tickets’
- Once the ticket data is synced, you can use the full range of Gainsight capabilities with that data (i.e., Reporting, Rules Engine, Scorecards, etc.)
5. What are the common use cases for Zendesk data in Gainsight?
a. Ticket escalation and management: Support creates a CTA in Zendesk for an escalated ticket to be picked up by the Customer Success Team
b. Risk Management Framework: Ticket trending data is incorporated into the Scorecard and CTAs to support the Risk Management Framework
c. Track trends in ticket data: Ticket counts by severity and type and also average ticket resolution time can be mapped into Usage Data and displayed on the C360 Usage Graph
d. Incorporate Support into Customer Success Management: Reports on ticket data and trends are incorporated into the C360 and existing Management Dashboards
6. Can I delete a CTA from Zendesk?
No, you can only delete CTAs from Gainsight.
7. What Zendesk fields are synced into Gainsight?
a. All standard Zendesk Fields (no custom fields) (see Zendesk to Gainsight Integration Fields spreadsheet)
b. A new field that contains a URL to the Zendesk ticket is added to every record in Gainsight
c. A new field that contains the ticket created month is added to every record in Gainsight
8. Can I map multiple Zendesk Orgs to one Salesforce Account?
Yes, you can. For more information, refer to Bulk Mapping of Zendesk Organizations to Accounts.
9. How many tickets can I associate to one CTA?
You can associate multiple - additional hyperlinks will be appended to the Comments for each new Ticket.
10. How many CTAs can I associate to one Ticket?
You can only associate one CTA to one Ticket.
11. How often is Zendesk data synced to Gainsight?
It is synced daily, at the time specified during the Integration Setup.
12. What is the recommended time to set the daily sync?
It is recommended to set the sync to run outside of business hours (typically overnight) so the users can expect to see fresh data at the start of each day.
13. Is there a recommended period of history of ticket data to sync into Gainsight?
Up to one year of history is recommended.
14. Can I control the layout of the CTA as it appears in the Zendesk Widget?
Yes, the layout of the CTA in Zendesk is comprised of the standard CTA fields (Subject, Customer, Owner, Reason, and Due Date) and any editable fields that have been added to the Risk CTA Layout.
15. How does the Zendesk to Gainsight sync differ from the Zendesk to Salesforce Sync?
1. Data Sync Location
- Salesforce: If you choose to sync Zendesk data into Salesforce, it is synced into a Zendesk managed object within your Salesforce environment
- Gainsight: The data is synced into our Matrix Data Architecture (MDA) external to your Salesforce environment and does not impact your Salesforce Storage
2. Data History
- Salesforce: Will sync tickets from the time the integration is enabled onward (no historical data can be brought in)
- Gainsight: You can select the desired time period of data to be synced, including historical data
3. Zendesk Org to Salesforce Account Mapping
- Salesforce: Automatically maps Zendesk Orgs to Salesforce Accounts based on a match between Org and Account name. Can only map one Org to one Account
- Gainsight: Manually map Zendesk Orgs to Salesforce Accounts via the Gainsight widget in Gainsight. The widget will suggest a Salesforce Account to map to the Zendesk Org based on name match but you can choose to override this. Multiple Orgs can be mapped to one Account
4. Gainsight specific functionality
- All of the functionality contained in the widget in Zendesk is unique to the Zendesk/Gainsight integration
16. If I already have the Zendesk to Salesforce Sync, how does this impact the Zendesk to Gainsight Sync?
The Zendesk to Gainsight sync operates completely independently from the Zendesk to Salesforce Sync. All of the mappings and data history that are synced will be unique to Gainsight and will not affect any mappings and data history contained in the Zendesk to Salesforce Sync.
17. Will I get a notification if the sync fails for some reason?
No, this is not currently available.
18. How does the initial Zendesk to Gainsight sync work?
The initial sync depends on the historical date you select and the volume of tickets you have in those time frames. The initial sync will be triggered once in 24 hours. The time configured for the sync to happen is UTC. We generally recommend not more than a year's data to be synced to Gainsight.
If the volume of tickets are high, we run the sync until we hit the api limits. The data is stored in Gainsight in batches of 1000 and if there is any error/limit reached, it will start the sync the next day from the exact place where it had stopped in the previous sync, so that there is no data loss.
19. Can I automatically or bulk upload mappings between Zendesk Orgs and Salesforce Accounts?
Yes, it is possible to setup automated or bulk mapping via a Gainsight Services Package. It is a requirement that you are able to provide the mapping between a Zendesk Organization ID and a Salesforce AcccountID into your Salesforce Environment or into Gainisght's MDA. Please contact your CSM for pricing.
20. Can I associate Zendesk Orgs to Gainsight Relationships?
No, this is not currently available.
21. Is the Assignee field available for reporting?
Not currently. No custom fields are available for integration at this time.
22. Can I assign CTA Owners from the Zendesk Tickets object?
No, because we don't have an OwnerID field on this object. The workaround is to create a new join table, and add the field you want to use for this CTA rule.
23. Why is my ticket data in Gainsight, but it's not tied to any accounts?
Confirm that the url for the installed app on the Zendesk side is: https://app.gainsight.com/v1.0/api