Gainsight NXTGainsight helps innovative companies protect and nurture their most valuable asset - their customers - with the power of our award-winning platform. With our Customer Success Solution, you can gain deeper insights into customer behavior, operationalize the customer lifecycle, and coordinate actions and results across teams.
This article supports Gainsight NXT, the next evolution of the Customer Success platform. New and upgraded customers are deployed on Gainsight NXT.
If you have not upgraded and are using Gainsight Salesforce Edition, you can find supporting documentation here.
Not sure what your team is using? Click here.
This article is the first in a series of Timeline configuration articles. Gainsight recommends that you first refer to the Timeline Overview article before proceeding with this article.
This article explains how to configure the GENERAL SETTINGS tab in Activities and Timeline page. After reading this article, you can enable or disable Timeline and add, edit, or delete Activity Types in Timeline.
The GENERAL SETTINGS tab in Timeline consists of various configurations like creating and editing activities, enabling and disabling Timeline, and so on. You can also select to configure activities either globally or at the Company or Relationship level.
Gainsight NXT allows you to set Timeline configurations at three levels:
When you configure a setting at the Global level, it is applicable to both Company and Relationship entities. However, when you configure a setting at the Company or Relationship level, the setting is applicable only for that entity.
- If you create an Activity type at the Global level, end users can view the Activity type while creating Activities for both Company and Relationship entities.
- If you create an Activity type at the Company level, end users can view it only while creating Activities for a Company entity.
- If you create an Activity type at Relationship level, end users can view it only while creating Activities for Relationships. While creating Activity types for Relationships, you must first select the Relationship type. The newly created Activity type would be applicable only for those Relationships which belong to the Relationship Type selected.
Configure Activity Types
This section explains how to configure Activity Types. An activity is a task that can be logged on the Timeline page by end users. Each Activity is associated with an Activity Type. Activity Types can be configured by admins in the Activities and Timeline page. If you are adding Activity Types at the Relationship level, you must also select a Relationship type.
Create Activity Types
This section explains the process of creating new Activity Types. By default, there are five Activity Types; Update, Call, Meeting, Email, and Milestone. A Milestone Activity Type is generally used to log important milestones in the journey of a customer , starting from onboarding. You cannot delete these Activity types. However, you can modify the icon, Reporting Category, and add custom fields to these Activity Types. You can create an Activity Type at the Global, Company, or Relationship level.
To create an Activity Type:
- Navigate to Administration > Workflow > Activities and Timeline.
- In the Configure For field, select the level at which you wish to create the Activity Type.
- Click + ACTIVITY TYPE. The Add Activity Type window is displayed.
Perform the following tasks:
- In the Name field, enter a name for the Activity Type.
- From the Select Icon drop-down menu, select an icon.
- From the Reporting Category drop-down menu, select a category. Navigate to the Reporting Category section of this article, to learn more about Reporting Category.
Configure Layout: This section allows you to add fields to the Activity Type. CSMs can add values to the fields in this section. The Subject, Activity Date, and Note fields are present, by default. For Milestone Activity types, the Milestone type field is present, by default. You can modify their names but cannot delete them.
Drag and drop the required fields from the Available fields section to the Selected fields section (in the Drop here section).
Click the Configuration icon to modify the name of a field or to set a field as mandatory.
If the existing fields do not meet your business requirements, you can create custom fields.
- Click + FIELD.
- From the Field type drop-down menu, select a data type.
- Enter a Name for the field.
- (Applicable only if the Number data type is selected) From the Decimal places drop-down menu select the number of floating point values to be used.
- (Applicable only if the Dropdown data type is selected) Start typing the name of the drop-down category. A list of categories are displayed, based on the name entered.
- Select a category from the list of suggested categories.
- (Optional) To create a new category (dropdown list or dependent drop down list) click the here hyperlink. To learn more about creating drop down lists or dependent dropdown lists, refer to the Dropdown List and Multi Select Dropdown list article.
- Click SAVE.
(Optional) To edit an Activity Type, click the Edit icon. To delete an Activity Type, click the delete icon. You cannot delete the default Activity Types. To sort the Activity types, use the drag icon.
This section explains the Reporting Categories option in Activity types. When you have multiple similar activity types, you can group them under one Reporting category. Grouping similar Activity Types allows you to easily build reports and rules. For example, if you have Activity Types called QBR meeting, Kickoff meeting and Quarterly Meeting, you can add these Activity Types to these Activity Types to the Meeting Reporting Category. You can also use Reporting categories to group activities across entities. You can now create a Report or a Rule and filter with the Meeting reporting Category to view all Meeting Activity types. Reporting Category can be accessed only from the Global level.
To add a Reporting Category:
- Click REPORTING CATEGORY.
- Click + CATEGORY.
- Enter a name for the category
- Click the Save icon.
- (Optional) Repeat steps 2-4 to add more categories.
This section explains how to enable Timeline in various modules and at various levels.
At the Global level, you must enable the Timeline Primary Tab check box. This ensures that the global Timeline is displayed to end users. If this check box is not selected, end users see the following error message on global Timeline.
At the Company level, you can enable or disable Timeline in two areas.
- C360: If you select this checkbox, end users can view the Timeline tab on the C360 page. Gainsight strongly recommends you to enable this check box, as this enables end users to log Activities for individual customers. End users can also view the chronological order of Activities with a particular customer from the C360 page.
- Cockpit: If you select this option, end users can view the Timeline tab on all of the Company CTAs. This helps end users to directly create Activities based on changes in CTA parameter for a company.
At the Relationship level, you can enable or disable Timeline in two areas
- R360: If you select this checkbox, end users can view the Timeline tab on the R360 pages, for the Relationship Type selected.
- Cockpit: If you select this option, end users can view the Timeline tab on all of the Relationship CTAs.
- You cannot create Activities or from Rules Engine.
- External Attendees, and Internal Attendees information are not available for selection in the Activity Timeline object. To view this information, click the subject in the report. The activity opens in a new web page.
View Relationship Activities on C360 page
You can configure the C360 page to display the Activities from its Relationships. To accomplish this task, you must enable the Show Relationship Activities in Customer Timeline toggle switch. This toggle switch is present under the Additional Settings section. By default, this toggle switch is disabled. When you enable this switch, end users can view the Relationship Activities of a Company on its C360 page.
Record Deletion in Timeline
When you delete a Company record, all its corresponding Timeline records are deleted. If the Company has Relationships, the Timeline records for the relationships are also deleted.
When you delete a Relationship record, its associated Timeline records are automatically deleted. However, the Activities of the Company to which the Relationship belonged to, continue to exist.
In the below image, the Company Alseivier Ltd. has an Activity “Discussion with Alseivier”, a draft with the same name, and an attachment called “Alseivier Attachment”.
When you delete the Company record for Alseivier Ltd, all its activities are deleted automatically.