After you've built your survey, there are tools in the Survey module that enable you to send your survey to a static list of participants. Below, you'll find directions for how to add participants to your survey and distribute it. If you prefer to send your survey to a dynamic list of participants that can be automatically refreshed, please see Sending Surveys to a Dynamic Contact List (via CoPilot).
The article below assumes you only want to send one email with the survey link to your participants. However, we also offer Advanced Outreaches, which contains additional options for adding survey participants and enables you to send a series of related survey emails (head's up email, reminder email, thank you email, etc.) as part of one Adv. Outreach.
Add Participants Menu
From the Survey module, open your survey, and click the Add Participants link along the left side. From the Add Participants page, you can Load Survey Participants from either the Contact Object, Custom Object, or a CSV File.
Load Participants from Contact Object (recommended)
- Select Role Field: Choose the object where Contact Role information is available. If you select 'Contact object field' you will be presented with an option to select the contact field that should be read to get role information. If the role value is not available, a default User value is used. This field is recommended if you want to be able to view NPS results by role.
- Filter By Additional Account Fields (Optional) You can add multiple Account, Contact and/or Customer fields. Use the plus and delete icons at the far right to add and remove items. By default logic is AND however you can update conditions with AND and OR. A common use case here is to add/exclude specific customer stages.
- Exclude Participants Options include exclusion when the participant has been contacted or responded to a previous survey of your choosing. An additional menu displays if you select Responded > then choose a specific survey.
Click Save and Show Contacts to move to the next step.
Load Participants from Custom Object
- Custom Object Properties Pick the custom object and map the properties as seen above.
- Filter By Additional Account Fields (Optional) You can add multiple Account, Contact and/or Customer fields. Use the plus and delete icons at the far right to add and remove items. By default logic is AND however you can update conditions with AND and OR.
- Exclude Participants Options include exclusion when the participant has been contacted or responded to a previous survey of your choosing.
Click Save and Show Contacts to move to the next step.
Put a check next to the participants you want to add to the Total Participants and then click Add to Total Participants.
Note: If some contacts are missing that you expect to see, it could be because the contacts have opted out, OR they are not active.
Load Participants from CSV
Upload CSV file and configure the options as shown above. Click Add to Total Participants. This can be done in both Gainsight and Marketo.
File format notes:
- File name must not contain periods
- If using a Mac, the file type must be saved as Windows Separated Value (csv.)
- The file must be UTF-8
CSV files can be in one of the two formats seen above.
Troubleshooting Load Participants Issues
Any .csv upload, or any Gainsight Success Snapshots created, are stored in the GainsightSuccessSnapshot folder under documents. If the folder is deleted, the .csv file will fail to upload to Survey > Participants, because the system can't find the folder and save it to the specified path. Navigate to SFDC > Documents to confirm the folder exists.
From the Distribute page, you will see a dashboard including:
- Total Participants
- Responded Number of participants who responded to the survey
- Not Responded Number of participants who were contacted and still did not respond. You could use this list to re-send the survey to those who have not yet responded.
- To be contacted Number of participants scheduled to be contacted and are yet to be contacted
- Undelivered Show the number of participants who were contacted but without any success. Reason for failures is reported in the respective lists. Possible reason could be email bounces and invalid contact details.
Click on a number to see more details about a particular metric.
Click Create Schedule to create a survey batch schedule.
On the details screen you will fill out the following details:
- Schedule Name
- Schedule Type Send or Resend
- Schedule Date
- Schedule Time
- From Address
- Schedule Batch Size When sending from Salesforce, max batch size is 100 however you can schedule multiple batches in one day (max 750 emails per day). To get around this limit you can use a Salesforce workflow rule. To learn more about this click here.
Click Next to continue
Check up to 100 participants and click done. Repeat if creating multiple schedules.
Click on the Schedule tab to see a calendar view of all schedules. From the calendar click on a schedule to edit or delete. You will only be able to edit or delete before the scheduled time.
Manually Email Survey
To manually send a survey via email to a survey participant, click the Email icon in line with the participant name in the Action column.
The option to delete all or delete selected survey participants is only available for participants in the stage of To Be Contacted or Undelivered. Click on the delete button above the grid in the “Distribute” page to execute this action.
Internal Submission of Surveys
If you enabled the Internal Submission of surveys on the Properties page, you will see the icon circled in the image above under Actions. Click the icon to submit survey responses on behalf of the participant.
View Survey Responses
After participants have completed the survey, you can optionally view their responses within the questionnaire itself by clicking the eye icon under Actions.