The following tips and best practices are for Gainsight Administrators who work in organizations that completed their initial Gainsight implementation without the Admin’s involvement, or for people who are taking over from another Gainsight Administrator.
Transfer Knowledge & Permissions from Previous Administrator
If possible, new Administrators should receive a walk-through of their org’s configuration from the existing Admin before taking over. In particular, we recommend that the hand-off focus on the purpose and configuration of each rule; and your org’s metrics and usage data, so that you understand how your data integration with Gainsight works. Additionally, we encourage you to record any knowledge transfer sessions, if possible, since important details may not make into your written notes.
Complete the following permissions transfers:
- MDA: Go to Administration > Integrations > Authorize MDA > Revoke > Authorize .
- Scorecard Load to Usage: Go to Administration > Scorecard > Global Settings > uncheck "Load Snapshot to Engagement every week" > check "Load Snapshot to Engagement every week"
- Notifications: Go to Administration > Notifications > click Configure next to Notification Frequency > Uncheck any boxes that are checked then click Save > Click Configure again > Re-check the boxes that were checked, then click Save.
- Usage Configuration Schedule: if there is any schedule created under Administration > Usage Configuration > Run Aggregation > Schedule Aggregation, turn this OFF and ON again.
- How to Revoke OAuth Access
- API: If you have been using the API to load data, you will need to make sure that the access key credentials used in the API are still valid. Check the cURl command itself, as this is where the access key and login info will reside. If it is the same person who was Oauth and is now leaving, then you will need to update the login info and regenerate a new access key from the data load configuration.
Learn About Gainsight
We recommend the following resources to help new Admins learn about Gainsight:
- What is Gainsight? video (10 mins.) & Gainsight Vocabulary
- CSM-perspective of Gainsight: How a Gainsight CSM Uses Cockpit (9 min.) video.
- Admin 101 training: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access
In addition, you’ll want to leverage previous work completed by a Gainsight Admin, the Gainsight Services team, or in the form of templates available in Gainsight’s Vault:
- Rules engine:
- Report builder:
General Advice for New Admins
1. Deliver value quickly
- If your CSM team is new to Gainsight, pick a simple and familiar existing business processes to replicate in Gainsight, such as your new customer onboarding process.
- Avoid creating rules that generate too many automated CTAs right away, which can overwhelm CSMs and block adoption.
- Foster an open collaborative environment with CSMs/Management, to identify priorities and ensure your efforts provide value.
2. Make your work transferable
- Create a system that the next Admin can understand. For example, use this sample spreadsheet to document rules in your org.
- Apply system for implementing new initiatives:
- Align: understand and align on the need or request; have a clear end goal, and know what needs to be seen in the application
- Plan: understand relevant, pre-existing systems; avoid redundancy, leverage what already exists
- Copy existing rules/reports
- Test: frequently and incrementally test rules; be generous with Show fields; and scrutinize test results
- Schedule: order of rules may be critical and improper rescheduling can interrupt a meaningful sequence. Leverage Rule Chains in Gainsight wherever possible, as they make re-running rules much easier if there is a problem.
- Document: for example, create glossary of fields used and schedule of rules; and CTA priorities and reason codes; use effective naming system
- Monitor: review output of new rules and compare to old rules; also watch for unplanned impact to old rules
3. Tip for Part-time Gainsight Admins
- Dedicate some time on a daily basis to getting up to speed.
Additional Admin Resources
- Community & Intro to Gainsight’s Community video (5 mins.)
- Admin Office Hours - talk to Gainsight product experts
- email@example.com - for help with gainsight.com or to report problems
- Salesforce Glossary of Terms and SFDC Training (Trailhead)
Note: To have any open Zendesk support tickets transferred to a new Admin, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.