Email Task and Send Email features help CSMs send emails directly to contacts from Cockpit. For example, a CSM might want to send an email directly from Cockpit when they need to reach out to a customer to determine a suitable time to conduct an EBR; or to gather more details about a negative response to an NPS Survey.
This article explains how CSMs can send emails from Cockpit using the following methods:
- Email Task
- Send Email
Email Task: A new CTA Task Type called Email Task is available for inclusion in Playbooks. Admins can create Email Tasks in Playbooks and associate them with a Journey Orchestrator email template. Once the Playbook is applied to a CTA (via a Rule or manually in Cockpit), the Email Task will be visible to the CSM, and the email template can be customized and sent to contacts of their choosing. For information on how to configure email task, refer Configure Emails to Send from Cockpit.
Send Email: this feature allow the CSMs to send emails using any email template from Cockpit (within a CTA), without applying a playbook. To allows CSMs to send Ad-Hoc emails from Cockpit, admins must first configure an email template, and then CSMs can select the email template to associate with the email task. For information on how to configure email task, refer Configure Emails to Send from Cockpit.
Send Email Tasks
In the Cockpit List View, Cockpit Email Tasks display an email icon next to the number of Tasks. When users click the Task name, the Task Details pane opens on the right with a VALIDATE EMAIL option at the bottom.
Note: Only the owners of Email Assist Tasks can send the emails.
- Click the Email Task name to view the details in the respective Task Detail View.
- Click VALIDATE EMAIL. The Edit Email dialog box is displayed.
- Enter or select from the following options:
- To: You can add multiple recipients in this section. Search option is provided to search and add the recipients.
- The recipient Email address is auto-populated. For more information, refer to the succeeding section.
- You can search and add a contact although the contact’s Email address is opted out in SFDC.
- When multiple recipients are added, the Email can be sent to all the recipients only after previewing the Email for each recipient.
- Send separate Emails to multiple contacts: Select this option to send separate emails to individual recipients specified in the ‘To’ section. If this option is not selected, a common Email is sent to all recipients.
Note: Only separate Emails can be sent, if the Email template contains:
- Contact/User object tokens
- Report with Contact object filters
- Cc: Add contact to send a carbon copy of the Email.
- From and Reply-To addresses: By default, these addresses are the logged-in user’s Email address. You can modify the From address. Select from the drop-down list of options that are populated based on the configuration set in Administration > Calls to Action > General Settings > Account/Relationship. For more information on configuration of From and Reply-To addresses, refer to Configure Cockpit List View, General Settings, and Reporting Categories
- Reply-To in Bcc: Select this option to add ‘Reply-To’ Email in Bcc.
- (Optional) Enter or modify the email template’s subject and body. You can edit/delete a token placeholder if necessary and proceed with sending. You can see the Reports and Surveys tokens are automatically mapped with the values, if the selected email template has a default mapping. For more information on how to configure Default Mapping, refer Configure Email Templates.
- (Optional) Add attachments, insert images and hyperlinks, and use the other formatting tools in the email designer. The maximum size of each file you can attach is 2 MB, and the cumulative size of your attachments and email template must not exceed 10 MB.
- If you are not ready to send the email, click SAVE AS DRAFT. Otherwise, click PREVIEW AND PROCEED to preview the email.
- In the Preview Email screen, click
- GO BACK to edit the email further.
- SEND TEST EMAIL to send a test email to the currently logged in user.
- SEND EMAIL to send the email.
Note: When multiple contacts exist, this button is enabled while previewing the last contact's Email. It is disabled otherwise.
Use the NEXT and PREVIOUS icons to preview the next and previous contact's email respectively.
Note: After you Send the email, the status of Email Task is automatically updated to 'closed'.
Auto-populate Email Recipient
The recipient Email address is auto-populated. This is based on the source of CTA creation. Consider the following:
- If the CTA is created manually: The associated contact in the Email Task Detail View > Contact field is populated. Refer to the following image:
- If a contact is available at task level, this contact is used instead of CTA contact. If not, CTA contact is populated.
- If multiple CTA contacts or task level contacts are available, recently used contact is populated. If Email address is not available for the latest contact, no recipient address is populated.
- We support only 10 contacts in 'To' and no Limit in CC.
Note: The recipient's Email addresses are auto-populated only when they have standard Salesforce license.
For example, if you are sending an email to an internal user with a standard Salesforce license, and type in "John Doe", "email@example.com" will appear in the list of selectable recipients. Now, if want to send the same email to a user with a "Chatter Only" license and type in "John Doe", you will not be able to see the selectable options. Navigate to Salesforce and find the "Chatter Only" user's email address and then type manually in the ‘To’ section.
- If the CTA is created from Rules Engine: The contact selected in Associated Contact field in Administration > Rules Engine > +RULE > Setup Action > Action Type > Call To Action is populated. Refer to the following image:
View Email Open Stats
In the Task Detail View, you can view the Email statistics:
Click PREVIEW to view the contents of the email.
If your Admin configures reports on the Email Logs object and displays them in dashboards or in a C360 section, you'll be able to view open/click/view stats for your email. However, Email Tasks are not available in the out-of-the-box Journey Orchestrator Analytics.
Note: You can track the "Emails Opened" only for the recipients in the TO section.
Limitations to Tracking Email Opens
- Tracking whether the email was opened by the recipient may not work if it has been purposefully blocked by the customer's email client security settings.
- For Email Assist tasks, we track open statistics by using a small invisible image attached to each email. When that image is loaded, it sends info back to the Gainsight logs to say that the email was opened. This tracking method is fairly standard among email providers.
- With Email Assist, we have seen that sometimes the tracking image is blocked when the email is received. Unless the user clicks "Show all images" in the email, we cannot track whether or not the email was opened. This is a common limitation that all email service providers encounter.
- In Journey Orchestrator emails, the tracking link itself is embedded in the URL, so this is not an issue.
- On a related note, if the contact in 'To' forwards an email to 10 other contacts, then those 10 emails will be tracked against the contact's name. The open rate count will be added against the 'To' ID when the forwarded email is opened.
Sync to Salesforce
As with other Cockpit Tasks, Email Tasks can also be synced to Salesforce, by clicking the sync icon:
The sync displays closed email tasks in the SF Activity History. The activity will only be tied to the contact in the email “To” field, not the contacts in the email “CC” field.
Note: Attachments to emails are not synced to Salesforce.
Managing Email Responses
If a recipient responds to your email, the response will go directly to your email inbox. There is currently no way to respond to them via the Email Task. If you wish to receive a copy of the email in your own inbox, enter your email address in the CC line.
Track Email Assist tasks in Timeline
Perform the following steps to track the Email Assist tasks in Timeline:
Navigate to Administration > Calls to Action > General Settings at the account or relationship level.
Switch the Automatically track email assist emails in timeline toggle to ON.
The email communications for the account or relationship for which tracking has been enabled can be viewed in the Timeline in the C360 or the CTA detail view page.
Note: The Choose ‘From’ email address in email assist option enables the admins to select the Logged-in User or Email Assist Domain Configuration as the From address in Email Task.
Send Ad-Hoc Emails from Cockpit
Send Email feature allows the CSMs to send emails using any email template in a CTA, without applying a playbook. For example, a Sales Representative will call the customer to discuss the renewal and based on interaction, they must send out a follow-up email.
The advantages of sending emails from Cockpit are:
- Email Task will be created within the CTA which allows for better tracking.
- Email is automatically logged to Timeline
- CSMs can use Email Analytics
After the admin configures an email template, CSMs can select the template and send it, while working on a CTA. For detailed instructions on how admins configure email templates, refer to Create Email Templates article.
To send email from Cockpit:
- Navigate to Cockpit > List.
- Click the CTA Name from which you want to send an email or associate an email task.
- Click the three dots on the upper right corner of the CTA Detail View.
- Click Send Email.
- Search for the contact to whom the email has to be sent.
- Select the email template from the Template dropdown list.
You can see the Reports and Surveys tokens are automatically mapped with the values, if the selected email template has a default mapping. For more information on how to configure Default Mapping, refer Configure Email Templates.
The following image shows the Default Values displayed for Surveys and Reports, when CSMs choose to send email via Send Email option.
- You can also edit/delete a token, if you wish to, before sending out an email.
- If a token in the email is unresolved, CSM has to manually delete the token before sending out the email. Otherwise, you will not be able to send out the email.
- Click PREVIEW AND PROCEED. Preview Email window appears.
Based on the contacts chosen, the tokens are replaced with the correct values.
Note: Once you send out an email, an email task is created in a CLOSED state, for tracking purposes. If the email is left in draft mode, the email task is created in an OPEN state.
- When copying/pasting into an email, highlight the font & re-size to ensure best results.
- CC yourself to get a copy of the email in your personal email (you can also ask your Admin to add an email address to Admin > Email Configuration > Compliance to receive BCC's of all Cockpit emails).
- Type an email signature if you’re interacting with someone that you don’t very often (custom signatures are not possible currently).
- Only Task owners can send email tasks, but you can easily re-assign task owners as needed.